New Guy- Off Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy- Off Topic

Hey everyone! Sorry, I came here and got right into posting I should have introduced myself. My name is Steve I live in Nova Scotia Canada.

Ive been interested in aviation since I was a kid. I started out mainly interested in WW11 fighters, then I progressed to jets {fighters, interceptors etc} now Im interested in all three, the third being racers. Anything fast I usually like, especially airplanes. Oh and its has to be LOUD! .

I spend most of my free time ATTEMPTING to design airplanes and I try and learn as much about the topic as possible. I have a question for everyone... well two actually . First how many air races are there held besides the Reno air races? My other question is, does anyone know of any air racing teams on the east coast of Canada? Mainly Nova Scotia.

Thanks Steve
    PS: Sorry again about not introducing myself
    Late Night Hobby Designer

Re: New Guy- Off Topic

ok.now for your initiation ceremony.Bring us some pictures new guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Stevey
      First how many air races are there held besides the Reno air races? My other question is, does anyone know of any air racing teams on the east coast of Canada? Mainly Nova Scotia.
      Currently, there are no 'major' air races outside of Reno--and I qualify that as 'major', because I'm sure the biplane and/or formula guys might take issue with it.

The only real race to ever take place up north was an unlimited "invitational" event that was held at Moose Jaw CFB in the summer of 1984.

Little known trivia, but back in the early '70's, when the 'distance racing' was in swing, there was a planned 1000 mile race at 108 Mile House, British Columbia. Brave talk of a huge purse, etc., but it never got anything past the water-cooler-talk stage from what I have seen.

As far as 'teams'....wow...the last Unlimited team was when Jerry Janes raced back in the early '90's, and there are a couple of T-6's that occasionally make an appearance....but those all seem to be 'left coast' based.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
        Currently, there are no 'major' air races outside of Reno--and I qualify that as 'major', because I'm sure the biplane and/or formula guys might take issue with it.
        Pretty quite on the F1 & Bipe circuit, as well...

Comment

What kind of pictures do you like? I took all kinds last year at the halifax air show. I even think I got one of the CF-18 "dropping bombs" on the side of the runway. Lotsa smoke fire and a CF-18 lol. I have pics of the snowbirds etc etc. Pick your poison! . Oh ok I see. I was hoping there might be a team in the atlantic that may let me visit them guess not .

Wow a 1000 mile race would be awesome! May I ask why there arent more "major" races? Is it due to participation? Funding? Regulations?

Ill post some pics {if I can learn how} when you guys decide what you want.

Thanks Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stevey
            May I ask why there arent more "major" races? Is it due to participation? Funding? Regulations?

Ill post some pics {if I can learn how} when you guys decide what you want.Thanks Steve
            It's all about the money.

You decide the pics.

Comment

How much money would it cost to run a race? Ill attempt to get those pictures up now but it may take some work on my half that Ill have to learn. So it may be in about..... 5 hours {when I get back from work}.

Steve

Comment

Its not just a matter of the money. Its about having a venue where you could have clear space for an up-to 9 mile course--both in the air and on the ground, where you're not encroaching on Farmer Brown, or in the nearby International Airports TCA. Its about having an airport with substantial runways--long enough, as well as multiple runways, to handle potential multiple emergencies at the same time. Its about having a site where you can put in grandstands, have vendors, porta-potties, etc., and have a 'fence' or gate where you can control entry and egress from the show. Its about having the roads in place to handle traffic...including parking. Its about a site being close enough to a city that has lodging to handle the influx of spectators. And its about having a city that has some kind of 'draw' outside of the show...because lets face it: bottom line is, Reno is successful because the Biggest Little City in the world is 12 miles away, and there is a plethora of entertainment, gambling, and food....something for the masses to do AFTER the show.

Then, and only then, can you start worrying about finding the money to put on the show.

Comment

What ever happened to the venue down in Vegas....lots of space and all the above..........just alot of hot air or were they really serious???
                  Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                    Its not just a matter of the money. Its about having a venue where you could have clear space for an up-to 9 mile course--both in the air and on the ground, where you're not encroaching on Farmer Brown, or in the nearby International Airports TCA. Its about having an airport with substantial runways--long enough, as well as multiple runways, to handle potential multiple emergencies at the same time. Its about having a site where you can put in grandstands, have vendors, porta-potties, etc., and have a 'fence' or gate where you can control entry and egress from the show. Its about having the roads in place to handle traffic...including parking. Its about a site being close enough to a city that has lodging to handle the influx of spectators. And its about having a city that has some kind of 'draw' outside of the show...because lets face it: bottom line is, Reno is successful because the Biggest Little City in the world is 12 miles away, and there is a plethora of entertainment, gambling, and food....something for the masses to do AFTER the show.

Then, and only then, can you start worrying about finding the money to put on the show.
                    Speed,

You crack me up "TCA", you'd better throw away those 1980 charts. Repeat after me Class B (TCA), and Class C (ARSA)

Thanks for the laugh, returning to the bullpen

Comment

Originally posted by Warren_C
                      Speed,

You crack me up "TCA", you'd better throw away those 1980 charts. Repeat after me Class B (TCA), and Class C (ARSA)

Thanks for the laugh, returning to the bullpen

I know, I know....I guess I shouldn't toss those 'old timer' figures around when the Jeppsen Police are lurking! :-)

Old habits die hard, you know......

Besides....95% of my accumulated flight time was spent 'due regard' anyhow. "Uh yeah.....we're gonna chop, Center. See you in about 8 hours!"

Comment

Well it seems to me that youd likely need an old air force base for that. That would provide the runways, most likely the air space, tarmac for planes/grand stands/porti potti's/etc. Youd most likely be in or near a large or semi large "urban area". You could use any extra tarmac or normal parking for parking. There must be some more shut down air force bases around that would provide this? I just think it's a same that such a great sport isnt more widespread. I think it may also have a bit to do with it not being very attainable for the average joe to do or to be involved in. Either way it would be great to get some more races going!

Steve

PS: Im gonna try and post the pics in a few seconds.

Comment

Ok here goes.
                          Well unfortuneatly all my picture files are too big . These were the only ones that it allowed. Sorry, I could have posted a bunch I have about 100 pictures.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X