Corsair Lancer 2 Race # 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair Lancer 2 Race # 22

Does anyone have photographs of this aircraft?

Re: Corsair Lancer 2 Race # 22

___

.....RENO...'68....

___

Comment

Wow....nice photos...especially of the one flying past home pylon...but they almost make the airplane look....blue??? Black and white photos colorized, perhaps?

In reality, the plane was "Metallic Limefire Green", with gold flake lances, lettering, and numbers, outlined in red.

Comment

___
        Originally posted by speeddemon
        ....In reality, the plane was "Metallic Limefire Green", with gold flake lances, lettering, and numbers, outlined in red.

...40 year old Kodachrome ...I guess....maybe I can Photoshop the color...

___

Comment

Originally posted by sledge39
          ___

...40 year old Kodachrome ...I guess....maybe I can Photoshop the color...

___
          Naw...no need. Great stuff, though. Possibly the best 'flying' picture of that airplane I've ever seen. Too bad that the plane only had that scheme for two years...and at that was a complete back-marker.

Bill Johnson published a book called "AIRSHOW!" back in about 1971 or so. If you want to see what that paint scheme REALLY looked like, check out the color section of his book. He has a ground shot taken with the morning sun reflecting off the metallic paint. It looks like liquid....like you could just stick your finger in there and swirl it around.

To paraphrase Bill's own words, the paint job would do any "Kalifornia Kustom Kar" afficianado proud.

Comment

Off topic but Brad -- was it you that said once that Bill Johnson is still alive and that you see him on occasion? I really miss him -- it's been at least ten years since I last saw him at Reno and saw the layout drawings for the Air Race book he was working on -- would have been a spectacular book. Great photographer, great writer. I thought he had passed away -- asked Jim Larsen and Jim had lost track too, and then a while back somebody mentioned that Bill was indeed still around, but I never followed through...

And back on topic, Great photos, Sledge -- do you have more from that era? Pretty remarkable for ASA 25...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
              Off topic but Brad -- was it you that said once that Bill Johnson is still alive and that you see him on occasion? I really miss him -- it's been at least ten years since I last saw him at Reno and saw the layout drawings for the Air Race book he was working on -- would have been a spectacular book. Great photographer, great writer. I thought he had passed away -- asked Jim Larsen and Jim had lost track too, and then a while back somebody mentioned that Bill was indeed still around, but I never followed through...

And back on topic, Great photos, Sledge -- do you have more from that era? Pretty remarkable for ASA 25...

Yeah, Bill lives about 5 minutes away from me. He was very sick a couple years ago, but has since recovered and is doing okay. Haven't talked to him in the last year or so, but need to give him a ring and see how things are going. The book he was/is working on concentrated on air racing during the 1970's....though I think he revised it to cover a bit into the '80's too.

Comment

PLEASE tell him Hello for me, and tell him we miss him. I've been thinking about coming over there to visit you anyway -- maybe this is another reason to get off my butt and do so.

Bill was great fun -- about the only political liberal ever at the Air Races, and outspokenly so! I used to love hearing him carry on about some of the intellectual dinosaurs he'd talk to during his Reno trips! I treasure my copy of "Airshow" and even more the copy he gave us of his huge Snowbirds book. He had many many hours of flying with and photographing the Snowbirds til his bad back made it impossible -- and did some absolutely stunning work.

A Prince of a man -- one of my heroes...

Comment

just playin...
                  Attached Files
                  http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                  http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Pretty good play, Victor -- I'd have no idea how to do that without wercking the sky. I'm impressed!!

Neal

Comment

___

...here's my try with Photoshop...

___

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                        You know how I know you're ghey?
                        That quip just had me ROFLMAO!

I'll go back to my corner and lurk some more now. Mike
                        Mike S
                        www.indyairshow.com
                        www.indytransponder.com

Comment

While not up to the quality of the wonderful shots from Sledge39, here are a few more of Gene Aker's #22. The first was taken in 1967, while the other two are from 1968.
                          Attached Files

Comment

thank you for the photos, much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Reno64
                              While not up to the quality of the wonderful shots from Sledge39, here are a few more of Gene Aker's #22. The first was taken in 1967, while the other two are from 1968.

Most amazing thing about these photos.....look at the LACK of development in the background.

The racing wasn't really 'hot' in those days, when all is taken into consideration....but wow, they sure didn't have to worry about encroachment of any kind. No 'newbies' bitching about flying too close or over their houses.

Good stuff, Reno64....but then, you always seem to pull out some gems when the situation warrants it!

Comment

Working...
                              X