PDA

View Full Version : For Wolfee (Lefty)

wingman
04-15-2007, 06:11 PM
OK Wolfee, You Lover of Lefty's Lightning, here's a quiz! This photo illustrates an important bit of Lefty Lore -- looks like an awards ceremony of some sort...

So let's see how much Lefty's Lightning history you know. What's going on here?

Bubba
04-15-2007, 08:00 PM
sagebrush , Think about 84

Tin Man
04-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Somewhere I've got a picture of my then girlfriend sittin on the wing of his airplane at Reno. Yes, she was tall, blonde and Swedish. I'll post if I can find it.
Tom

wolfee
04-16-2007, 05:40 AM
So let's see how much Lefty's Lightning history you know. What's going on here?

Dammit Jim, Im not one of the forum geeks here! :D

Is he being rewarded with a branch of the tree they found in his wing tip?

It was a fence post burried in sagebrush, if memmory servs. And I remember a crew member stuffing feathers from a pillow into the wing on the ramp, and hearing him say "damm birds"!
I was on the ramp with the Bipes helping set up for a race, or was it a recovery... :confused: Must have been a launch. :1zhelp:

Anyhow, to be totaly honest, I really dont know. But if I had to take a guess I would say it had something to do with the afore mentioned incedent.

:beerchug:

wingman
04-16-2007, 09:17 AM
You're right on the button -- on Sunday evening after the Races, the pylon judge came by and awarded Lefty with the first annual "Sagebrush Award", for low flying.

Neal

chuckd
04-16-2007, 05:29 PM
I think there was a photo in one of that era avaition mags that had Lefty looking down from atop the wing with a HUGE smile on his face where that piece was missing.