For Wolfee (Lefty)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Wolfee (Lefty)

OK Wolfee, You Lover of Lefty's Lightning, here's a quiz! This photo illustrates an important bit of Lefty Lore -- looks like an awards ceremony of some sort...

So let's see how much Lefty's Lightning history you know. What's going on here?
    Attached Files

Re: For Wolfee (Lefty)

sagebrush , Think about 84

Comment

Somewhere I've got a picture of my then girlfriend sittin on the wing of his airplane at Reno. Yes, she was tall, blonde and Swedish. I'll post if I can find it.
      Tom

Comment

So let's see how much Lefty's Lightning history you know. What's going on here?
        Dammit Jim, Im not one of the forum geeks here!

Is he being rewarded with a branch of the tree they found in his wing tip?
        It was a fence post burried in sagebrush, if memmory servs. And I remember a crew member stuffing feathers from a pillow into the wing on the ramp, and hearing him say "damm birds"!
        I was on the ramp with the Bipes helping set up for a race, or was it a recovery... Must have been a launch.

Anyhow, to be totaly honest, I really dont know. But if I had to take a guess I would say it had something to do with the afore mentioned incedent.

Comment

You're right on the button -- on Sunday evening after the Races, the pylon judge came by and awarded Lefty with the first annual "Sagebrush Award", for low flying.

Neal

Comment

I think there was a photo in one of that era avaition mags that had Lefty looking down from atop the wing with a HUGE smile on his face where that piece was missing.

Comment

Working...
            X