No announcement yet.

How do you carry your camera equipment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you carry your camera equipment?

Have been going back and forth on which camera bag to purchase, so I'd figure I'd ask what everyone is using here. Most of my trips other then camping will be airshows when I can get time off.

Looking to carry my Canon 30D, 28-135 lens, 100-400 lens (future purchase), battery grip (future purchase), 18-55 lens, Sony camcorder, hoods for the telephotos, chargers, cords, memory cards, cleaning supplies, monopod, etc, etc. Maybe a laptop at some future date, but not necessarily now.

Thinking of a backpack style like the Lowepro mini-trekker II AW (less laptop). Do you use backpack? shoulder pack? beltpack? What type, namebrand and model have you used, now own, or like or dislike.

Looking to order/purchase in the next couple of days. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Warren Laurendine

Re: How do you carry your camera equipment?

I've been using a backpack style bag for a few years. I carry 30D body with 100-400 installed, 24-105, RBT stereo camera with 24-90 lenses installed (almost as big as two complete 35 SLRs) and a pair of 135 telephotos for the stereo rig, plus odds & sods.

The backpack is great for travel and walking around, but clumsy for fast changes. If I'm standing along the fence I'll set the bag down flat in front of me, or on the side I want to block, then kneal to work with gear.

I recently bought an Airport Antidote from thinktankphoto.com. It fits all my gear, has a clever removable laptop bag and just fits the overhead bins on regional jets (the only kind they fly to/from where I live).

Backpacks aren't real quick to use in the field, but they're functional, and great for airline travel.

I believe Tim uses individual lens pouches on a belt. This is a much faster system in the field, but not as easy to travel with. The Alien just exudes equipment from his carapace as needed, but that's another story.
    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

I'm using my dad's old (20+ years?) Tamrac shoulder bag that rarely got used. Near as I can tell it is a Tamrac 610 (Camera bag is at home). I really like it because I can have it halfway unzipped while walking around and open it up while still on my shoulder. It has lots of pockets and has snaps as well as a zipper.

Jarrod

Comment

I'm using a pretty cheap (lowpro, I think) backpack that I manage to stuff a LOT of stuff into!

I'm actually scared to death that the zipper will fail at some point and dump two Nikon pro bodies and assorted lenses and accessories onto whatever unfriendly surface I happen to be walking on!

Whatever backpack you choose, try to get one that has the buckle/strap backup for the zipper!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I use a Tamrac Pro 8 to hold my 20D, 17-85mm, 50mm, 100-400mm, external flash and many assorted parts and doo dads. I can leave either of the lenses on the body and still fir everything inside with the zipper closed... though it can be tight sometimes. Still, to this day it is the best bag I've ever used. Prior to this I used a backpack type bag (a Low Pro rig) that I could fit tons of stuff into. But like Ignomini mentioned, I found the backpack type bag to be a bit of a hindrance at times. I like having the easy access of a shoulder bag... I will say though that the backpack type was more comfortable to carry for an entire day.
          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
          My Photos
          My Ride

Comment

I used to put most everything into two large LowePro (spl?) bags. They were big enough to just fit in the over head. I would pack the telephoto's in amongst the clothing in my luggage and check the luggage. Gutsy, I know but, it seems as long as I scheduled a flight that has some time between connections I've always had my luggage.

Last year I purchased a large hard side bag/case that holds everything. Telephoto's attached to two bodies. Other lenses, flashes, batteries, chargers, etc in separate pockets.

Run everything out of the trunk of the car or van at the events.
            Jeff Loewe
            www.jlofoto.com

Comment

Well I checked last night. It is a Tamrac 622 It's made for medium format but it works alright for me.

Jarrod

Comment

I do use a belt system. I look like a dork with the big lense cases swinging around my butt though!! I use a Lowepro Off Road with two of the large Lowepro lense cases attached. They will hold the 100-400, and the 70-200 2.8L.
                I do have a Lowepro backpack, but this is only to get the gear to the show. It's way to freakin' hot to carry a backpack in the summer. I use a Photo Trekker Classic. This is the largest airline carry on allowed from Lowepro. I just bought a Canon 300 f/2.8L, but I have somehow managed to squeeze in two DLSR's, the 300, the 100-400, the 70-200, the 24-70, the 10-22, and both the 1.4x and 2.0x converters into the pack. It comes in at a little over 20lbs!! Not something you want to haul around all day. Laptop is in it own little case, and both come on the plane with me.

As for a monopod, I just carry it around all day, alot of the time with a camera and lense over my shoulder. Just don't leave it on the ground!! As more than a few have seen in Reno, I often lay the pod down, then walk away and forget it. I did it at least twice this year, but it was laying on the ground where I left it. In 2005 I left one in Tunica never to be seen by me again.

Comment

Your not gonna strap that 300 on your belt are you?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                    Your not gonna strap that 300 on your belt are you?

Jarrod
                    LOL, nope have a camera strap for that.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. After trying on many backpacks and not happy with the shoulder packs, I went with the newer Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW. It is larger than the 200 and easily fits my 30D with the 100-400L lens attached to the body (checked it at camera shop while there). This thing has enough room I can carry all I have now, the lenses I plan to buy in the future and my camcorder and all associated cables, batteries and chargers. And still have room for my lunch...

I like the quick access feature the best. No need to remove the pack for access to the camera

Thanks again,
                      Warren

Comment

Working...
                      X