Miss Bardahl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Bardahl

I am painting a model P-51 in the Miss Bardahl paint scheme and was hoping to get a few more pictures. I have searched this site along with many others and only came up with a handful ok pictures. I was hoping for more, but I realize it may be a long shot. I appreciate your help.

(I hope this is the right forum for picture requests).

Mike

Re: Miss Bardahl

C/L flier
    what angles/views do you need?
    Is it a stunter or scale?
    Andrew

Comment

number17fan,
      It's a stunter and I am looking for any views available. I would like a shot of the checkerboard on top of the fuselage (to see how the checkers meet) or a shot of the Miss Bardahl logo. I guess any detailed pictures will do. I have several overall shots good for paint scheme layout, but not detail work.

Thanks for your reply, Mike

Comment

C/Lflier....

:-) Actually....it's "Bardahl Miss". "Miss Bardahl" was a hydroplane.

I believe that there is a three view drawing of the #14 "Bardahl II" (which had an identical paint scheme layout) in the 1969 annual of Reed Kinnert's "Racing Planes & Air Races". It details the logos and placement.

I think the biggest mistake I see whenever someone does a model of this plane is that while the plane is yellow with black checkerboards, the race number is dark green--not black.

Check for it on eBay...they seem to be up for auction all the time.

Comment

Amazing there are C/L Stunt guys on this forum, or maybe not.
          I am building an old TF 1"to1' FormFlite scale model of EDWeiner's zebra striped ship. using a JRoberts three line bellcrank.
          Is your Mustang a Rabe design?
          I see one of you guys is in TX, where are you, Mike?

Chris...

This is my first Old Time entry at VSC...
          Attached Files

Comment

Try Googling (or your favorite search engine) for N335J --#49's registration, there are several good sites in the results. If you can find a copy of Mustang-The Racing Thoroughbred by Dustin Carter and Birch Matthews published in 1992, has some good pix of the Yellow & Black scheme.

Comment

N335 and N335J are my all time favorite racing Mustang schemes.

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership
              Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
              RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Here is my favorite pic of Bardahl Miss.
                C/lflier, send me an e-mail.
                Andrew
                Attached Files

Comment

Speeddemon,
                  I pronounced it as Miss Bardahl because Bardahl Miss always sounded weird to me even though it was written differently on the plane. Go figure....

I was going to ask about the green numbers. Some of the pics I have show a tint of green while others look black. It must be a very dark green which shows up black unless the sun is directly on it. Is the race number on the wing dark green also? How about the N335J on the vertical?

Chris,
                  It is a Bob Hunt design. I started building it years ago and I am finally getting around to finishing it. The paint scheme is a stretch because it is semi-scale.

number17fan,
                  I sent you an e-mail. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Thank you to everyone who has helped!!!

Mike

Comment

Sounds cool,
                    funny Bobby cut the cores for the Tigercat.
                    Chris...

Comment

I saw the pictures on stunthanger of your F7F. It looks very pretty, how does/did it fly for a 57 year old design?

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,
                        It flies like any scale model, and the Plecan design is very accurate. It's not a stunter, but it is a light scale model. It weighs 44 oz and I wanted 36. It still would be a very critical stunter at 36, because the wing is so thin and area so small it uses every inch of the hemisphere to do the maneuvers and would never be competitive. But it was fun. I think I'll do a scale biplane for next year.
                        Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by C/Lflier
                          Speeddemon,
                          I pronounced it as Miss Bardahl because Bardahl Miss always sounded weird to me even though it was written differently on the plane. Go figure....

I was going to ask about the green numbers. Some of the pics I have show a tint of green while others look black. It must be a very dark green which shows up black unless the sun is directly on it. Is the race number on the wing dark green also? How about the N335J on the vertical?

Mike

Number on both the wing and fuselage are green outlined in black. The registration number on the tail is all black. The lettering on the nose is black outlined in white.

Ole Bardahl himself was the one who insisted that the plane NOT be called Miss Bardahl, because he didn't want anyone confusing it with his hydroplanes. Hence, Bardahl Special, Bardahl Miss, Bardahl II for the Mustangs.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                            Number on both the wing and fuselage are green outlined in black. The registration number on the tail is all black. The lettering on the nose is black outlined in white.

Ole Bardahl himself was the one who insisted that the plane NOT be called Miss Bardahl, because he didn't want anyone confusing it with his hydroplanes. Hence, Bardahl Special, Bardahl Miss, Bardahl II for the Mustangs.
                            Thank you for the information. It will make my paint scheme that much better. I am still looking for a picture detailing the "49" on the wing and fuse. None of my pictures show a close up of the green outlined in black. I don't know, but it might not show up in any pictures??? I have good shots of the checkerboard top and bottom, registration # and Bardahl Miss.

number17fan sent me some good shots.

I see his point about confusion.

Mike

Comment

Miss Barhdal is one of my favs too. Here's a GWS Mustang I did up in an amalgamation of various ED Weiner paint schemes:

It was a bit heavy and didn't fly very well but it got a lot of attention! I also built a Stiletto from a GWS kit but alas, I never got a picture of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X