• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wall of Fire.... Toasty!!!

"Want some beans, Mr. Taggart?"

"G*d-damn, I'd say you've had enough already......"

Comment

If that L-39 got much lower there would be two walls of fire...cool shot for sure!

Comment

And here I thought he was racing Scott in the jet car....
        Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmm....gives you that warm, toasty feeling....

Comment

A few years back that L-39 was raced by Jimmy Leward. Looking at how close that plane is to the ground could I assume the same pilot....

WRL

Comment

Originally posted by Wilnit
              A few years back that L-39 was raced by Jimmy Leward. Looking at how close that plane is to the ground could I assume the same pilot....

WRL
              Nope, that's Rich Perkins out of Livermore Airport, with his plane he appropriately calls "Firecat"

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                If that L-39 got much lower there would be two walls of fire...cool shot for sure!
                Good to see there's no one in the back seat. That way when he rolls it up into a fireball of his own no one else will get killed. IMHO flying that low serves no purpose other than tempting the next airshow pilot (?) to fly lower. I hope the FAA and his insurance company get a copy of those pictures.
                Tom

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                  If he has a ground level waiver - he's perfectly within his right to fly at that altitude.
                  Well there's been a few airshow pilots killed lately, all of them by hitting the ground. Perhaps on thier headstones they can all put " Its ok, I had a waiver".
                  Tom

Comment

Most, if not all of the airshow-related ground impacts I have seen lately have been from late or incorrectly performed pull-ups following a maneuver or some sort of mechanical failure, not from performing a low altitude pass.

I see nothing wrong with this low pass if the pilot is a skilled professional and had legal authority to do so. Certainly those in charge would not have granted permission to carry a passenger during the performance.

Well there's been a few airshow pilots killed lately, all of them by hitting the ground.

Have you ever heard of a pilot getting killed at an airshow that DIDN't hit the ground? Even when mid-airs or airframe/powerplant failures are involved, it's nearly always the sudden stop at the end of the ride that does them in.

Comment

I agree with AirDOGGe, I attend ar least 10 full blown airshows each year and Firecat is doing nothing different than any other aerobatic airshow performer, and he's higher than anybody that flies under a ribbon cut. If it's an issue of looking too close to the explosion, I imagine V.A. could tell us that the telephoto lens made him look closer than he really was?

Comment

Well, all I'm going to say about the Firecat is he was flying very low but at a slow speed and level NOT performing aerobatics at that time.
                        He was pretty close to the wall but from the crowd line you could not tell how close.
                        http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                        http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

HMMMMM........

something about knowing the bottom line of the equation...........and living on the edge.

Nice pics Mr Archer

Comment

Thank you .......

I think that probably DASHED the controversy.

Comment

Way to go Dasher!!

Comment

Working...
                              X