For: Any one who knows about reno air race sept 1986

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For: Any one who knows about reno air race sept 1986

I am almost 21 years old. I am curious to find out a little information about my grandfather, Errol Roberson. I know that he was killed September 15,1989 in a airplane crash at the 1989 Nevada National Championship Air Race when i was 3. That is all i ever knew or was told about the incident. I think it was a sore subject for my father and aunt to discuss. I was just wondering if any one on here knew anything about the accident or if they may have known him personally. I don't remember him at all. I have some pictures of me and him, a doll that he gave me for my birthday i think 6 days before he died, and hear stories about how my father acts like him. Thanks for all of your help and time. If you would like to you can also email me at danielle_5185@yahoo.com.

Re: For: Any one who knows about reno air race sept 1986

Not much here but I hope it helps

Comment

The story I have heard from several F1 guys is that the aircraft had suffered some wing damage, and was repaired before the race. He did in fact hit a dust devil which pulled the wing off. However many feel that the wing might not have been properly repaired, thus causing the failure at a much lower G loading.

Comment

I had no success getting that NTSB link to work.

If you have similar trouble, try this link:

Comment

Originally posted by danielle_21
          I am almost 21 years old. I am curious to find out a little information about my grandfather, Errol Roberson. I know that he was killed September 15,1989 in a airplane crash at the 1989 Nevada National Championship Air Race when i was 3. That is all i ever knew or was told about the incident. I think it was a sore subject for my father and aunt to discuss. I was just wondering if any one on here knew anything about the accident or if they may have known him personally. I don't remember him at all. I have some pictures of me and him, a doll that he gave me for my birthday i think 6 days before he died, and hear stories about how my father acts like him. Thanks for all of your help and time. If you would like to you can also email me at danielle_5185@yahoo.com.
          I can't help you out with specifics other than to say that I talked to Errol in the F1 hanger, and he was a very nice guy, taking the time to talk to people (like myself) even if he was busy. I do have a photo of Errol and "Puffin" towing down the ramp. Sorry I couldn't help you out more.....
          Attached Files
          "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Danielle, I just viewed your post. I was not registered, nor aware of this site. In 1987, "Puffins" debut at Reno, I was a team member. I sent you a long email, detailing such. I am familiar with the Jim Miller planes, knew him fairly well, Cecil was/is good buddy and kept my Pitts in Jims' hanger.
            I also have met Jim's previous "Crew Chief", think it is "Wings" on here.
            Most excellent person but cannot remember name. (You live up in Burnet, have the beard). So long ago.

Comment

Daniell

I was in the Navy with your father at Kodiak,then retired .at that time I started flying for Kodiak air,when he got of the navy he went to work for them also,We did a few flights to Dutch and in the old Volpars,think a few in c 402s /c 421.
              Then I left with the Martin 404 to fly with a out at Las Vegas.
              Seeing you here was a shock,I also saw you dad at reno races a few times,A real shock at his passing.he was always well liked by all the pilots.

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X