the B29 doc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the B29 doc

Hello all does anyone know if the B29 being restored bye boeing is still going on I read awhile back thay were going to restore to flying DOC the B29 that took the tail off a different one that was static it was in better shape?? ringing any Bells ?? it would be so cool to have two different B29s, I wish I could find the magazine that had the artical of the guy that put 4 turbo props and engines off a C130, looked funny but it worked well for what he used it for,I my self would find 2 jets off a 737 and smooth off the wings or would a whole wing fit It just unpins right?? a swep wing B29 with to uderwing jets,YEHA I KNOW time for my meds thanks for the fun.

Re: the B29 doc

It was being restored up until about a month ago when Boeing kicked it out of their hangar. The crew is desperately trying to get it under shelter before all there hard work is undone by the elements. They are at the 95% done, 50% to go stage. There are still no fuel cells or motors for it either.

Comment

Doc is at The Kansas Aviation Museum, it is sitting outside. The museum is on a fun raising campaign to build a hanger so that the restoration can begin again. Good luck to these folks!

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
        It was being restored up until about a month ago when Boeing kicked it out of their hangar. The crew is desperately trying to get it under shelter before all there hard work is undone by the elements. They are at the 95% done, 50% to go stage. There are still no fuel cells or motors for it either.
        I'm not positive...but I don't think that it was "Boeing" who kicked them out. Wasn't Boeing Witchita bought out and now is "Spirit Aviation"?

Comment

I called The Kansas Aviation Museum and they did say that Boeing said they needed the hanger space.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
            I'm not positive...but I don't think that it was "Boeing" who kicked them out. Wasn't Boeing Witchita bought out and now is "Spirit Aviation"?
            I'm not sure Brad. The information I was given by a reliable sourse said that Boeing kicked them out to use the hangar for other projects. I also know that the hangar it was in was closed to non security badge holders becasue of some sensitive material that could be seen from that hangar. It was making it a pain for them to find volunteers to complete the work on her.

Comment

Cliff Gaston, Manager of the restoration project, said in the interview below that Boeing asked them to leave because they needed the space. He said Boeing has been very helpful to the project and hopes to get back in the hangar but would really like to find another or build one.

The interview is an mp3.

Doc, the last remaining B-29 that might be restored to flight status is due Friday (February 16) to be pushed -- unfinished -- out of its hangar at McConnell Air Force Base and into the weather at Wichita. The project is almost a complete rebuild, with all-new parts that would give it, supporters believe, sustainability unmatched by many other restoration projects. But now to survive at all it will need suitable protection from the elements and a lot of money. AVweb's Glenn Pew spoke with Cliff Gaston, manager of Doc's restoration and maintenance, about the aircraft's past, present, and possible futures, as well as the project's potential competition for funds made manifest in the Commemorative Air Force's own sometimes-flying B-29, Fifi.Brought to you byBose Corporation.
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

It's too bad thay can't get a hold of the engines and props of keybird thay were brand new,or did thay get distroyed by sinking in to the lake ??be cool if a joint effert of greenamyer and the investment he already has layed out could somehow meet in the middle guess I am just thinking out loud would be cool though anybody have a in with discovery channel???

Comment

I beleive its all at the bottom of the lake. The fire melted the ice and it all went under including Matt Jackson's tools. Right Matt?
                  Very sad.
                  PS, lets not touch off the key bird debate again please.
                  Bill Garnett
                  InterstellarDust
                  Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

I don't think the ice melted because of the fire. I think they were left because the crew needed to leave due to weather and time of year. The ice, and thus runway, melted a few weeks later and the engines are at the bottom.

But, it it nice cold fresh water which preserves well. Both DG's and MJ's tools were on board. Or at least that is what I remember them saying in the video.

I agree that there should be no debate about Kee Bird on this forum. Just reporting what I remember from the video.
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
                    X