Rare Bear torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear torque

Found this pic on another site, story said that the pic was taken just before the motor let go. I thought I bookmarked it but I guess I didnt.

Look at the seam where the front cowling meets the main body.
    Check out the rippling just behind the wing.

amazing stuff.

Photo Credit: Neal Nurmi "Wingman Photo"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RandyGoss75; 03-27-2007, 09:49 AM. Reason: Photo Credit

Re: Rare Bear torque

That picture does get around -- wonder who the photographer is?

At least when Gary posted it over on WIX he gave proper credit!

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
      That picture does get around -- wonder who the photographer is?

At least when Gary posted it over on WIX he gave proper credit!
      Oh, wait....let me guess. John Tegler?

Comment

Good guess Brad -- I have been down that road before!

And Thanks Randy!

Neal

Comment

-And a word to Bob -- sorry about pulling your thread off topic, but we photographers are rather sensitive about photographs being credited to their makers. This one was clearly credited in the original post on WIX, and the credit really should have been moved over here with the image.

I have spent tens of thousands of dollars and many thousands of hours over the last thirty five years on my photography, and I am very proud of what I have managed to do. Also, my access to the pylons and to other places only the press can get to depends on my production and my reputation. My reputation stems from images like this. Thus we photogs are very sensitive to our images being shared without credit.

I love sharing my work, and people seem to enjoy it. This credit issue is not just an "ego thing" (though there is certainly an element of this here, LOL), but also that if you all want to continue seeing this stuff, then you have to support us by making sure the "powers that be" know what we produce.

Sorry about the rant, Bob, but these issues are important to me...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
            -And a word to Bob -- sorry about pulling your thread off topic, but we photographers are rather sensitive about photographs being credited to their makers. This one was clearly credited in the original post on WIX, and the credit really should have been moved over here with the image.

I have spent tens of thousands of dollars and many thousands of hours over the last thirty five years on my photography, and I am very proud of what I have managed to do. Also, my access to the pylons and to other places only the press can get to depends on my production and my reputation. My reputation stems from images like this. Thus we photogs are very sensitive to our images being shared without credit.

I love sharing my work, and people seem to enjoy it. This credit issue is not just an "ego thing" (though there is certainly an element of this here, LOL), but also that if you all want to continue seeing this stuff, then you have to support us by making sure the "powers that be" know what we produce.

Sorry about the rant, Bob, but these issues are important to me...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---
            As an aside to that rant let me just say;
            From a team member aspect it was very important to have the ability to call on Neal Nurmi among others and ask for copies of images that show thing like gear doors open a minute amount, Skin showing stress, Cowlings and the amount of alignment error to be built in to the airplane to allow for the engines angular displacement as far as clearance for cable and other routing. BTW Neal had on occasion noticed things in pictures and sent us copies to see if we knew what was going on at speed. Thank you Neal, Neal was the first as far as I know official Team photographer of any team. Neal was the Team photographer for Rare Bear for many years, and I'll bet he has a picture of that gear door.

The Photogs are as much a part of the event as the mechanics that work on the planes, I would like to say thank you to the rare group of photographers that followed through with their promises over the years. Many Photographers have promised to send copies of pictures to the owners in exchange for pit or trailer roof access. If you make that statement then make sure you follow through, To my memory, the best and most diligent guys along that line were Neal, Yuchio Nagai(sp?), Richard Van der Mulen(sp?) and Neal what was the name of that kid in the eighties, from the Air Force.

It is really nice now, my daughter is 8 years old and for the past few weeks the new Saturday morning ritual has been to get up look at pictures and videos of airplanes when Dad and Granddad were active. Last weekend we got deep enough in the box to see the news feed footage of the Rare Bear at the unveiling of the Pond Racer, and the Bear belly in on eight MM transfered to video. It's priceless when she tells Grandad Lyle she is glad he is OK after seeing the landing of the powerless Bear in 1992, But sometimes it is frustrating when she starts chanting "Strega!","Strega!","Strega!". I think Dwight must have secretly channeled that into her as she loves the Mustangs, Sometimes I think she is just going after a dig though.
            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
              Sometimes I think she is just going after a dig though.
              Like father... like daughter...vv
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                Like father... like daughter...vv
                Wayne,
                So true, we went to the Museum at the old Castle Air Force Base a couple of weeks ago. She was thrilled with the B-36, that was even her book of choice when we were leaving the gift shop. Not the kiddy book, but the one with all the tech in it. Tech geek dash two! My father-in-law asked her what she liked about the museum best, she said "The B-36 because it has ten engines, six real engines and four jets". DNA confirmed with that one.
                John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                  "The B-36 because it has ten engines, six real engines and four jets".
                  Dang she's smart!

Jarrod

Comment

I can't recall the formulas but I looked up the math equations on the interent and came to the conclusion that the Bear was making about 7500 foot pounds of torque, about what a top fuel dragster makes, no wonder the fusealage twisted a little.
                    Ron Henning

Comment

Working...
                    X