V-22 Sighted on PDX approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-22 Sighted on PDX approach

Saw a V-22 yesterday... Apparantly, they are doing some sort of testing out of PDX, as this is the second time that it's been seen here...

I got to see it on approach and about a 3 mi final, I was pretty surprised to see how far "up" the rotors were tilted... Probably 70-75% of the total up-tilt.

I'd figured that it'd fly like an airplane till much closer to the ground..

Pretty impressive sound I must say!

Did not have the camera primed and ready but will try to next time... if there is one!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: V-22 Sighted on PDX approach

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
    Saw a V-22 yesterday... I was pretty surprised to see how far "up" the rotors were tilted... Probably 70-75% of the total up-tilt.

I'd figured that it'd fly like an airplane till much closer to the ground..
    Just the opposite, the V-22 can do over 200 KIAS with the rotors at 90 degrees. The rotors have full swash plates and the blades are articulated. Forward tilt increases efficiency above 100 KIAS and allows flight to 350 KTAS.
    Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Yeah I got buzzed going south on the 14 what a wild machine

Comment

Where's a camera-phone when you need it?

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
          Where's a camera-phone when you need it?
          LOL... .they're not getting close enough for that. Did get some shots this AM, poor light, distant shots but cool watching it fly!

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Here's a really bad shot.. at the extreme reach of my 400 it wasn't much more than a speck... backlight, overcast.. hole in my tennis racquet..dog ate my homework.. IOW, it's a crappy picture..

He was in a hover, then tilted forward and zoomed off.. Dunno what they are doing here but glad to have them! (it?)
            Attached Files
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Here's a really bad shot.. at the extreme reach of my 400 it wasn't much more than a speck... backlight, overcast.. hole in my tennis racquet..dog ate my homework.. IOW, it's a crappy picture..

He was in a hover, then tilted forward and zoomed off.. Dunno what they are doing here but glad to have them! (it?)

Hover mode, right???
              Attached Files

Comment

this one I saw was on the deck maybe 500 feet going south on the 14 just east of soledad he was going the same way I was so I just watched him for a good five minutes before he was too far away. Then I swear I saw it form up with another one for the approach to palmdale

Comment

Originally posted by laminar
                  this one I saw was on the deck maybe 500 feet going south on the 14 just east of soledad he was going the same way I was so I just watched him for a good five minutes before he was too far away. Then I swear I saw it form up with another one for the approach to palmdale
                  Despite whatever I've read/heard about the technology not working.. This thing has been on the drawing board in one form or another for what seems like eons!

To see it fly so effortlessly around my neighborhood (adopted part-time neighborhood, actually Beer Nazi's neighborhood) swooping one way then the next, slowing, stopping and then speeding off (yes, SPEEDING!) is pretty darn cool!

I'm not sure what the AF is doing with it in the PDX area.. maybe testing foul weather ops?? But today, it was clear, (well, at least it was not raining at the time) the guys (gals?) flying her were just out having fun! They were under the PDX pattern and slightly south of it. Was not listening on the freq but they were just stayin' outta the way and flyin around.. Once the pattern cleared, is when they tilted forward and zoomed off toward PDX and did a bit of a flyby...

I can't quite see the runway's from BN's.. we're just east of the Interstate bridge on the North side of the Columbia.. About three miles from PDX..

Nice action in the hood!

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

[QUOTE=AAFO_WSagar]

To see it fly so effortlessly around my neighborhood (adopted part-time neighborhood, actually Beer Nazi's neighborhood) swooping one way then the next, slowing, stopping and then speeding off (yes, SPEEDING!) is pretty darn cool!

During a test session last year, a CV-22 was taking off from our main runway. It had a C-12 /SuperKingAir for it's chase. They did an 'aerial pick-up' (when the chase launches, flies a tight pattern back to approach, and calls brake release for the test aircraft). As the Osprey
                    lifted off and began transitioning to forward flight, C-12 was passing by it. When the nacelles were horizontal, it blew by the C-12 like it's flaps were out! It never caught up with it! They are a lot of fun to watch!
                    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

I'm not sure what the AF is doing with it in the PDX area..

Wayne
                      AF? (As in USAF?) I thought the V22 belonged to the Marines.

Comment

Both the Marines and Air Force are flying them. I think I posted these once before but just in case I didn't... and besides they seem to fit this thread.
                        All photos were taken at the Holloman AFB open house in 2006.
                        Attached Files
                        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                        My Photos
                        My Ride

Comment

Thanks for the info (USAF) Stevo! I had no idea they were flying the Osprey.

Comment

Hey guys I am new to this forum but I shoot all the time at PDX. I have tons of Osprey pics and speculation on my flickr page, click through my photos of the last month at PDX and you will see plenty (and everything else coming in and out of PDX)! He goes nowhere without his spooky McDonald Douglas experimental King Air 300! They are training over Corvallis and the Umpqua Forest...

Explore Tyler’s 9,687 photos on Flickr!

A friend on mine also covers PDX and has so for years, here is his page:

Tell me what you think!

Comment

Working...
                            X