ANOTHER SLACK ATTACK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANOTHER SLACK ATTACK

So I know that this will probably get me a private message saying 'call me'....:-) But John, is there a nice, 'Readers Digest' version (suitable for public consumption) that can talk about the 'fued' between Lyle and Darryl? How it started, what brought who onto where, etc.....

Man, I'd give anything to see that picture you were saying that Hersch had of the two of them shaking hands. :-)

Re: ANOTHER SLACK ATTACK

Brad,
    Call me I thought you were saving that for the Bearcat book,? What Book? People are asking about a book on Darryl's and Lyle's cats. Man talking about a cover picture!!!!!! Hersch would love to be credited for that!!!!
    John Slack

Comment

In the words of Spongebob Squarepants "I'm Ready!"

Jarrod

Comment

I saw that Picture last May when we visted Hersh at his home. Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          So I know that this will probably get me a private message saying 'call me'....:-) But John, is there a nice, 'Readers Digest' version (suitable for public consumption) that can talk about the 'fued' between Lyle and Darryl? How it started, what brought who onto where, etc.....

Man, I'd give anything to see that picture you were saying that Hersch had of the two of them shaking hands. :-)
          Seven years ago I asked Lyle about this and got a very straight answer: It stemmed from a race where the rules had everyone climbing and backing off during an emergency with no passing allowed. Lyle was leading, an emergency was declared, and Darryl passed "under the yellow". Lyle got gipped and Darryl won.

This specific scenario has happened in many, many motorsports. I myself had to protest a guy who passed me under the yellow in a superbike race (I won the protest and he was DQ'd). Lyle protested and Darryl's victory stood in blatent violation of the rules in place at the time. I have the utmost respect for both of them, but Lyle was in the right on this one.

Anything further on the disagreements between them, I don't know about.
          Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Foam
            Seven years ago I asked Lyle about this and got a very straight answer: It stemmed from a race where the rules had everyone climbing and backing off during an emergency with no passing allowed. Lyle was leading, an emergency was declared, and Darryl passed "under the yellow". Lyle got gipped and Darryl won.

Anything further on the disagreements between them, I don't know about.
            Eric,
            Actually it goes back much farther than that by about five years, and that is the nice pat answer. The only thing really wrong with that version is Lyle was not leading when the MayDay was declared, and still wasn't leading when the Mayday was over. I remember that race and that incident but the nail was already in the lid on that realationship from about 1967. That is all I will say, and I do know more. But suffice it to say that two very strong minded capable individuals with the same goal of dominating not just winning usually don't see eye to eye. But I find it interesting when I was sitting at a table at Moya Lears last party, with Darryl on one side of me and Lyle on the other side. They did not speak to each other which was usual for them, but neither one got up and left either. After a while Lyle got up to go talk with someone else for a few minutes. After Lyle got up Darryl said to me "Why don't you get your dad to get rid of that Dinosaur he owns and build a sports class racer we can bring the old rivalry out to fght again." Like I said in another post to some it all about the winning, But I think in the winning sometimes it is all about who you are beating.
            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
              Eric,
              After Lyle got up Darryl said to me "Why don't you get your dad to get rid of that Dinosaur he owns and build a sports class racer we can bring the old rivalry out to fght again." Like I said in another post to some it all about the winning, But I think in the winning sometimes it is all about who you are beating.

Interesting observation. Back in the 1950's and '60's, there was a HUGE rivalry between the cities of Seattle & Detroit in the Unlimited Hydroplane racing world. The boat that won the Gold Cup got the right to host the race the following year. Bill Muncey represented Seattle, and Lee Schoenith represented Detroit. There was always 'bad blood' between the rivals, and the cities got behind their driver and their honor, and it was a really big deal.

But behind the scenes, Muncey and Schoenith were really very good friends (Muncey was originally from Detroit anyhow), and the whole thing was pretty much 'contrived' by the two to get interest in the sport going. In public, they would go at each other like tomcats...accusing the other of cheating or dirty driving, or whatever. And the public and media ate it up, and came out in droves to see it. But after the race was over, they'd all get together and have a healthy laugh over it.

In the end, Muncey ended up DRIVING for Schoenith, and they dominated.

So this is why I made my comment several months back that Darryl should get in the seat of the Bear.

Comment

Brad,
                Yeah, but behind the scenes, Lyle and Darryl, still not friends. I really think it keys more along the line of if person A is dominating, then Person B is not, so Persons A & B are directly related to each other not gaining their goal.
                John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                  Brad,
                  Yeah, but behind the scenes, Lyle and Darryl, still not friends. I really think it keys more along the line of if person A is dominating, then Person B is not, so Persons A & B are directly related to each other not gaining their goal.
                  So when's Lyle gonna get a Sport Class racer?

Comment

Working...
                  X