PDA

View Full Version : Browser Version????

AAFO_WSagar
03-15-2007, 03:32 AM
Phew!!!!!!!!!

Messing with IE6, trying to get multiple versions of IE to install so I can see what others see, I managed to bork my IE6 install to the point that I had to "upgrade" to IE7.... Losing (of course) my install of IE6.. there are workarounds that might allow me to see a "version" of both but my IE6 version is so borked... in fear of going through another night of ... " god.. what if I have to do a system restore" moments.. I'll probably use another computer to check the IE6 compatibility of pages under my control...

All of this mess prompts me to perform an impromptu poll on what browser version everyone's using.. I currently have IE7 and Firefox installed on my working puter.. Probably should have others but geez!!!

Stats on the net show that about 16% of us are using IE7 35+% IE6 and a mix of others spread between Opra, Firefox, Netscrap and others..

Whatchausin AFFO's????

(kinda like the sound o' that... AAFO's :eek5: )

AAFO_WSagar
03-15-2007, 03:41 AM
:off_topic Equally, actually MUCH more OFF TOPIC...

We've had requests for T-Shirts and hats over the years...

Just for chits and giggles..

IF we did a T or Hat.. specially after being referred to as one...

what if it said..

I'M AN
AAFO

:feedback:

AAFO_WSagar
03-15-2007, 03:53 AM
Or..

Maybe..

JUST ANOTHER
AAFO
AAFO.COM

:off_topic

:beerchug:
:rolleyes:
Obviously!
:p

mayday51
03-15-2007, 03:56 AM
:IF we did a T or Hat.. specially after being referred to as one...

what if it said..

I'M AN
AAFO

how about:

look up my AAFO

AAFO_WSagar
03-15-2007, 03:57 AM
how about:

look up my AAFO

Ahh....

probably not...

:eek13:

mayday51
03-15-2007, 03:58 AM
browser:

IE 6.0
bellsouth modded (not much)
no fire fox,mozilla,outlook

..........had to hit the stress button again eh ?

AAFO_WSagar
03-15-2007, 04:06 AM
..........had to hit the stress button again eh ?
Oh geez!

I trusted the MS backup function... you know. in the help section?? Undo changes to your computer with System Restore? Cute little arrow thingie and everything???

It MAYBE restores SOME registry entries... it does NOT overwrite the entire registry!

In the past, I'd always used regedit and export current version of it before messing around.. with few exceptions (notable ones, but few) it worked to bring me back to earth once I hit the launch button and everything went wrong...

Trusting that "Undo changes to your computer with System Restore" thing is FOLLY!

Thought I'd noticed over the years of using XP that when I did a registry setback using "Undo changes to your computer with System Restore" that there were still entries in the registry referring to stuff I'd nuked..

Now I KNOW, it does NOT restore ALL functions, thereby making it USELESS!

So, back to exporting registry backups when I install odd stuff to try or try odd stuff to try my patience!

This stuff always happens when I've got work to do.. if I didn't have work to do, I'd not care what stinking browser I personally use..

Long as it works and looks the same in the morning that it did last night, I'm usually happy..

Ain't gonna be that way this AM I'll assure ya's!

:hi:

Aint it fun hangin out with Wayne when he works late.... :eek5:

:nonono2:

wolfee
03-15-2007, 05:52 AM
Wow Wayne! You have the most amazing luck with updates :D

But I must admit I to borked my NS8 last week too. Infact I lost it totaly due to an auto update that wiped all the Bookmarks, and personal settings. :jail: :jail:

So instead of messing with it all over again, I just switched to my IE8, to give it a try. So far so good.

Jim58
03-15-2007, 06:09 AM
And I thought I was the only to have "BORKED" puters. nothing like a nice slow painful reinstall. :throw:

Wayne....I'm a hat guy. Tshirts have no place for important things...LIKE glasses. thats my vote if your askin......

Jim

Bob
03-15-2007, 06:19 AM
I would be proud to wear a hat that says

JUST ANOTHER
AAFO
AAFO.COM

But a shirt with a nice graphic and that text on a pocket.......... :thumbsup:

T. Adams
03-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Firefox is the only way to go. I signed up with Google Analytics to track hits on my website on 2/25/07. So far 53.8% are using IE, and 38.01% are using Firefox to visit my site. All others lag far behind, Safari is third at just 4.68%.

Leo
03-15-2007, 10:38 AM
I like it!
Gotta be a hat or a shirt with a large AAFO on it.
Some kinda aircraft graphic would be nice...
I bet among the talent here something simple but flashy could be done.

BadIdea
03-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Safari on my end.

(insert jab about not having these kinds of problems here)

440_Magnum
03-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Phew!!!!!!!!!

Whatchausin AFFO's????

(kinda like the sound o' that... AAFO's :eek5: )

Hey!

I didn't see Mozilla on the list... but I guess Firefox is close enough

Personally, I'd NEVER develop a website using IE for testing. Too many proprietary non-standard "extensions" that cause grief on other browsers. One of my friends still swears that if it won't display correctly on NSCA Mosaic, it's not real HTML code :D

SCEPTER
03-15-2007, 01:21 PM
I'M AN
AAFO[/B]

yes you are.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mBGODdzzVw

:joke: :lol:

AirDOGGe
03-15-2007, 02:01 PM
System Restore will restore old settings, and has saved my sorry butt many times (like the time when all my screen text turned into Egyptian Hieroglyphics), but no, it won't roll back software updates or alter files to previous versions.

I use IE6 most of the time, but on occasion I use Firefox with good results.

I won't try IE7 until we reach the point that I can't visit most websites without it (if that ever happens).

"If it ain't broke..." :thumbsup:

AAFO_WSagar
03-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I just switched to my IE8, to give it a try. So far so good.
Second time today that someone has referred to IE8... I'm tracking a problem with IE7 not playing nice with FTP via browser (bad idea but hey... some folks like to do it that way) and now I'm seeing IE8.. Please tell me this is a typo?

Is there a version 8 already?

:confused:

Hauler Driver
03-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Safari! :thumbsup:

Don

wolfee
03-16-2007, 12:30 AM
and now I'm seeing IE8.. Please tell me this is a typo?

Sorry Wayne, It is a typo.

I am using IE7

AAFO_WSagar
03-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Sorry Wayne, It is a typo.

I am using IE7
Phew!

:hug:

Skyracer
03-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Isn't there a disclaimer that comes with IE7 warning that you cannot go back to IE6 (even with system restore)? Seems to me I read that just before clicking on the "Are you sure you want the latest Microsoft Mistake installed on your computer" button. :nonono2:

Maybe you could low level your HDD, FDISK, FORMAT, then reinstall Windows with a new license. That should get IE6 back (maybe).....And don't forget to turn off automatic update before you connect to the internet. :eek5:

AAFO_WSagar
03-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Too much work! Problem is, I hosed 6 attempting to get both 6 and 7 loaded separately for webdev purposes...

In truth, personally, if it works the same, I could care less which browser I use.. Familiarity is all I'm after, because using my browser should be totally intuitive.... I actually like 7, with the exception that they changed the ordering of the toolbars and such. They put the stop and refresh buttons WAAAAAY over on the right... etc, etc...

I've got another machine that I can check version 6 with so I guess I'll be OK..

FWIW... IE version 7 *seems* very fast, shows the favicon.ico files better than version 6 (those little icons beside the address in the address bar)...

Eventually, everyone (mostly) who uses IE will be on V7...

I will, however, wait a VERY long time before I install Vista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek13:

Carbonprop
03-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Safari for me, too. Apple Rules!

Victor Archer
03-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Safari for me, too. Apple Rules!
I work on Mac's all day.... GOD, I can't wait to get home to my PC...HAHAHAHA

Bob
03-16-2007, 12:07 PM
I cut my teeth on macs, finally gave up, hated the internet and computing the way apple wants you to use/see it. And the virus thing, never had one nor have I had many crashes, just use quality parts ;)

wolfee
03-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I have used NetScape from the time I first got a computer. I hated IE5 and refused to use it and whised like hell I could remove from my comps in the past.

IE7 on the other hand I am likeing, It reminds me alot of NetScape, its easy to navigate and customize as well.

I was one of the lucky few to get a full use Vista key for free. It will work on any Vista upgrade. Ive not used it yet because I dont need all that security, and I dont want to mess with learning a new OP SYS.
lol Lord knows I had a hard enough time learning XP!
I have it tucked away for when I do need it.

Oh and Wayne.

My choice is for a T-Shirt with
Look Up My
AAFO.com!

Victor Archer
03-16-2007, 01:31 PM
I cut my teeth on macs, finally gave up, hated the internet and computing the way apple wants you to use/see it. And the virus thing, never had one nor have I had many crashes, just use quality parts ;)
Same here.

I have a couple PM's on my comment but I'm going to post this here:

I use G5's with all the latest everything. I'm a full time graphic artist. I also have a G5 at home but for what I do, I can now work faster on my PC. I have been using Macs for over 16 years. One thing I do have to say though is that my 15year old Mac Quadra still works but I've had three PC's DIE two HP's and one Micron. But when it comes down to the bottom line, is the machine (Mac or PC) really built for what you need to do on it and do you keep it clean inside and out and updated and really understand the potential of what your machine can do. I'm a program user (Adobe CS2 everything, QuarkExpress, Microsoft Office everything...ect.) I'll work on what ever works to get the job done. :hug:

lowpasskid
03-16-2007, 10:49 PM
i dont have a clue, using netcom since '96,gonna go solo soon
with ie_ on my compact desktop soon.any advice?

Race#21
03-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Go With the shirt idea. Get Victor to do the design. I'll send you all my new/still left "Mystical Power" shirts for free.
Tom

AAFO_WSagar
03-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Go With the shirt idea. Get Victor to do the design. I'll send you all my new/still left "Mystical Power" shirts for free.
TomMan Tom... what are we gonna do without you at Reno!

When you gonna get another plane??

You are missed my friend!

Wayne

440_Magnum
03-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Same here.

I'm a program user (Adobe CS2 everything, QuarkExpress, Microsoft Office everything...ect.) I'll work on what ever works to get the job done. :hug:

That pretty much describes me, although our professions are extremely different (I'm an engineer, so its Matlab and Powerpoint instead of Adobe). Lots of the systems I use are embedded non-networked PCs running Windows for various reasons- compatibility, form factor, power, etc. My everyday computers and laptops are generally always Macs, or if they aren't Macs running OSX they're AMD or Intel boxes running Linux. I don't dislike PCs, I dislike Windows. :-) I don't consider it safe enough from viruses or reliable enough for my everyday working documents (iow, my brain archive without which I'm useless... :-/ ).

But heck, now that Macs are being built with Intel processors and you can boot Windows with Bootcamp, its not even an issue of compatibility anymore. The Mac hardware, in my experience, is literally in a class by itself when it comes to reliability. I've had 2 Dells, a Toshiba, and 2 Sony laptops go up in smoke, but the worst thing I've ever had to do to any of my Mac laptops is replace a hard drive. Once. In 12 years. (now that I say that, I'll probably blow one up tomorrow!) And the real irony is that those other laptops were mostly office and lab computers that rarely trravelled, whereas the Macs go with me everywhere and are the ones that get beat up and battered.

Apple is a really strange company. It spent 25 years trying to decide whether it was a software house that happened to build computers, or a computer company that had a nifty operating system that geeks like me loved. Then it discovered its really a music player company that makes computers and software on the side :p