Sim Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sim Question

Does anybody here have any experience with FS Design Studio? I am looking for reviews from those that are here.
    John Slack

Re: Sim Question

I have some experience with it. Been a long time though. When compared with other software, it's easier to use, but not quite as powerful as say GMAX. But when you take a look around, people have used it to create some great stuff. And the learning curve for it is quite reasonable.

Also, Abacus has told me that a new version is in Beta 5, and they hope to release soon.

I did enjoy working with Design Studio, it's been around for a few years, and lots of people have used it to create some great stuff. The last time I looked around, there was also a wealth of tutorials and information out there for it.

Lonnie

Comment

Lonnie,
      Thanks for your reply, Abacus is currently offering FSDS 3 in a creative bundle that I've been looking at, There are some Unlimited Class racers that I would like to model for FS9, and they are going to update FSDS 3 to work with FSX also.
      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
        There are some Unlimited Class racers that I would like to model for FS9, and they are going to update FSDS 3 to work with FSX also.
        ...any chance we could get our hands on some of those racers when you get done modeling? I have FSX and like it quite well, just need a bit faster computer to run it maxed out.

Comment

There are some Unlimited Class racers that I would like to model for FS9
          Let's see....my guess is either Leo Volkmeier's TBM Avenger, John Parker's Cessna 421 Golden Eagle, or....what the heck, how about Jim Fugate's 'long-wing' Mustang (you know, since he wouldn't let Lyle have #77)?

If you got some time John, how about building me up a Super Snoopy to race?

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
            If you got some time John, how about building me up a Super Snoopy to race?
            Brad, actually You can do Super Snoopy, and the Red Baron Constellation with existing aircraft for FS 2004 and FS repaint. By the way interesting group of racers you suggested, However most were not on my short list. I did like Baron Vollkmer and his Avenger at San Diego.

The Short list would include

(A) Stiletto,

(B) Cobra IV
            A Merlin powered P-39 modeled in a configuration close to what probably would have done eventually, For those that have not guessed the BC IV, site name came from a now dead project to build a P-39 racer named "Cobra IV" the racer would have had a new from scratch wing built for it.

(C) Rare Bear,

(D) Conquest 1,

(E) Crazy Horse,
            John Slack

Comment

By the way interesting group of racers you suggested, However most were not on my short list.

Yeah, well....as my friend who is Director of the Hydroplane & Raceboat Museum once said to me: "Nothing is normal in your world, is it....."

I thought it was kind of cool when John Parker tried to run #33 Rolling Hills Aviation in 1981. I think Parker must hold the record for the most different type of aircraft which failed to qualify in the Unlimiteds.

Oh, hey...how about the Whittington's HA-1112 in the "faux" Miss Florida markings? That'd be a good one.

Or remember Pony Express from 1982?

Comment

Yeah, well....as my friend who is Director of the Hydroplane & Raceboat Museum once said to me: "Nothing is normal in your world, is it....."

I thought it was kind of cool when John Parker tried to run #33 Rolling Hills Aviation in 1981. I think Parker must hold the record for the most different type of aircraft which failed to qualify in the Unlimiteds.

Oh, hey...how about the Whittington's HA-1112 in the "faux" Miss Florida markings? That'd be a good one.

Brad,
                My wife is always commenting on my esoteric interests and sense of humor, I think a few bottles of Port Zinfandel, a good meal at Harris Ranch, and a convening of the "Loyal Order of the Knights of the Red Oak Tree with a Broken Branch and a Torn Leather Skirt" is in order. It has to be Port Zinfandel though because you can't go wrong with anything described as "Tawny". Dash could come but she can't be a Knight so she has to be a day.
                John Slack

Comment

Brad,
                  My wife is always commenting on my esoteric interests and sense of humor, I think a few bottles of Port Zinfandel, a good meal at Harris Ranch, and a convening of the "Loyal Order of the Knights of the Red Oak Tree with a Broken Branch and a Torn Leather Skirt" is in order. It has to be Port Zinfandel though because you can't go wrong with anything described as "Tawny". Dash could come but she can't be a Knight so she has to be a day.

Count me in.

And I'd be willing to let Marilyn sit in too. But she has to promise not to come up with any more of those whacky icons.

Comment

Originally posted by John
                    ...any chance we could get our hands on some of those racers when you get done modeling? I have FSX and like it quite well, just need a bit faster computer to run it maxed out.
                    John,

Care has to be taken about distributing things in a production like form, as I'm sure if the owners of particular trademarks were to be informed they would be unhappy with potential profits or marketing exclusives being infringed upon, However with that being said and a "beta" version was eventually "loaned" for input back, I'm sure since nobody profitted from the creation of said aircraft and it remained a purely private venture and not in distribution, blah, blah, blah, blah, then we'll see at that time. Is my tail covered enough? BUT, The racer projects are behind my own real Mustang (car, don't get excited) project, and not on the front burner.
                    John Slack

Comment

Count me in.

And I'd be willing to let Marilyn sit in too. But she has to promise not to come up with any more of those whacky icons.
                      I Live for the wacky icons! The perky bouncy bunny in a jet is my favorite.
                      John Slack

Comment

I Live for the wacky icons! The perky bouncy bunny in a jet is my favorite.

I'm gonna make stickers of all the icons that Dash has come up with over the last few months and then I am going to 'zap' her plane with them at Reno this fall.

She's going to show up in the hanger some morning and wonder what the hell happened. Its going to look better than the Jelly Belly Mustang!

Comment

The racer projects are behind my own real Mustang (car, don't get excited) project, and not on the front burner.
                          Ahh, Mustang "car" projects, I have a fastback that I'm planning on restoring one day in the future! The 1968 with 302 j-code engine was the first car I ever owned. Not that I'm that old mind you, just loved Mustangs since I was a kid.

As you all may have seen, Wings of Power makes some fine WW2 era add-on aircraft for MFS. My favorite is the Spit. ..Sounds and handles wonderfully.

Comment

Ahh, Mustang "car" projects, I have a fastback that I'm planning on restoring one day in the future! The 1968 with 302 j-code engine was the first car I ever owned. Not that I'm that old mind you, just loved Mustangs since I was a kid..
                            My Mustang car project is a 1969 with a 302 g-code, Fastback, it eats up a lot of time.

As you all may have seen, Wings of Power makes some fine WW2 era add-on aircraft for MFS. My favorite is the Spit. ..Sounds and handles wonderfully.
                            WOP makes some really fine sim aircraft, I have time in all their stuff except for the long nose Focke Wulf. Very few bugs and they fix what does come up pretty quickly. The XP-72 is a blast.

Don't know if you've seen the Bearcat that came out from someone in France recently, One re-paint from Av-Sim is Ray Dieckman's airplane. Pretty good sim, Lyle hasn't flown it yet, but I'll probably load it onto the new computer when we do it, then we can get his impression.
                            John Slack

Comment

From the picture I've seen it didn't look too fast. Did it ever qualify, and where is it now?

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                              X