New Prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Prop?

I stopped by the September Pops Hangar this afternoon (03-01-07) and saw something "interesting". The propeller had been removed from 232 and lying on the hangar floor were propeller blades which looked like the ones on the Rare Bear in 2004. You know, the three-blade, stubby, fat, little prop which made the Bear go like hell! I do not know what this means but it piques my curiousity. I have pics and can post after they come back from developing.

Re: New Prop?

OOOOOHHHH boy! This could be interesting. The plane might fly a little better as its a bit bigger and might not be as affected by the prop. The Bear was fast with the 3 blade, but I guess it didn't turn very well. The larger Sea Fury might have enough mass that the 3 blade will be the hot ticket. We shall see in Sept.

Will

Comment

Clipped wings, Three blade prop, I'm not thinking September, maybe August? Just a suspicion on my part.
      John Slack

Comment

Well...certainly wouldn't want to knock one of BCIV's "suspicions", but I'll throw another possibility out:

Matt Jackson's American Spirit is in the hangar at Ione, right? The plan for that airplane was to have a three-blade prop similar to the Bear's...only using Electra (i.e. square-tip) blades instead of the P-3 blades.

Might be something as simple as that.

Would be kinda cool to see 232 with the old Merced/BMB/Critical Mass wingtips on it and go-fast in a straight line, though....

Comment

We're headed to the Sanders in the morning.
          I'll report on what we dig up.

TJ

Comment

"The plan for that airplane was to have a three-blade prop similar to the Bear's...only using Electra (i.e. square-tip) blades instead of the P-3 blades."

Just for the record, the L-188 used both props. The round tips are Ham-standards and the square tips are Aero Products.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
              Well...certainly wouldn't want to knock one of BCIV's "suspicions", but I'll throw another possibility out:

Matt Jackson's American Spirit is in the hangar at Ione, right? The plan for that airplane was to have a three-blade prop similar to the Bear's...only using Electra (i.e. square-tip) blades instead of the P-3 blades.

Might be something as simple as that.

Would be kinda cool to see 232 with the old Merced/BMB/Critical Mass wingtips on it and go-fast in a straight line, though....
              According to recent photos, Matt's airplane seems a long way from needing a prop. (Feigning disinterest in a 3-blader for Fury. )
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Any new news?

Jarrod

Comment

The blades with the red sea fury painted on the tips are sitting under the Jackson Racer. There is a ready to fly cuffed prop (with some of the cuff removed) sitting on the floor in front of Sept Fury.
                  The Square 3 blader is disassembled against the wall behind Sept Fury.
                  I could not get anyone to comment on the record about the plan for it.

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by TWD
                    The blades with the red sea fury painted on the tips are sitting under the Jackson Racer. There is a ready to fly cuffed prop (with some of the cuff removed) sitting on the floor in front of Sept Fury.
                    The Square 3 blader is disassembled against the wall behind Sept Fury.
                    I could not get anyone to comment on the record about the plan for it.

TJ
                    Cuffed prop, as in 4-blader similar to Dreadnought's, or a 3-blader like "da Bear's"?
                    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

If I knew how to post a picture, you could see for yourself.
                      It's a 4 blader with white spinner.

Comment

Originally posted by TWD
                        If I knew how to post a picture, you could see for yourself.
                        It's a 4 blader with white spinner.
                        Ah, that's a trailing edge cuff vs. a hub cuff. No 3-blader for Fury, I guess.
                        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

with trimmed edge ala Dreadnaught...

Comment

I'd also finger the 3 blader would end up back on AS... as that's where it came from originally... and ASS-U-ME the storage location for the ex-SF "skinny" skyraider blades means nothing other than a convenient place to put them for the moment.

Comment

...a prop with flaps on it?! (ha)

Comment

Working...
                              X