Lightest Unlimiteds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightest Unlimiteds

With all the talk about Stilleto & Conquest 1, What have been the lightest racers in unlimiteds and there approx weights?

Those that have raced and for those that have only entered or qualified.

Warbird Racers- Conquest 1
    Stilleto
    Dago
    Perestroika
    Others?

New builds- Tsunami
    Pond Racer (I'm guessing she was the lightest)

There were also those that put in a qualifying lap before the 4500lb rule like a Thunder Mustang, any of those light weight entries ever actually make it into a race? Or was it only Pond Racer.

How many racers of the past would be under the 4500lb limit?

Re: Lightest Unlimiteds

I know Jeannie was a light one as was Stilletto, and the original Precious Metal had quite a diet also. The "Z" was a fanatic about weight!
    John Slack

Comment

Strega and Dago are heavier than you might think....due to the Italian bondo process. The original 'build weights' are about 6,200 lbs for each of them. Out of the box, Strega was something like 175 lbs heavier than Dago. But they've been slathered in so much bondo on the wings and fuselage that they are nowhere near that weight now. They are slick as snot, but h-e-a-v-y.

John is right about Stiletto and the original Precious Metal being very light...both Z and RLP were proponents of lighter being faster.

I think the lightest Mustang, though, was Vendetta. I think empty weight was something like 5,300 lbs. I'll have to go back and check my stats (or y'all can read Super Stangs).

Comment

Yes it would be expensive but how much would it help to reskin a racer with lots of bondo, like said mustangs or Rare Bear? I'm sure reskinning would require less bondo for equal slickness(if that is even a real word).

Jarrod

Comment

Stiletto was lighter then all of them originally. She put on a little weight as the years went by.

Comment

Originally posted by zeke

New builds- Tsunami
            Pond Racer (I'm guessing she was the lightest)
            I bet Pond Racer was lightest and had less power than others.

Tsunami, I have been reading, had originally no flaps. That must have been the lightest ever of the Merlin powered racers. I think it had somewhat sophisticated and possibly heavy radiator structure. Wheels were also extra small..like in H model Mustang.
            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Light weight is the right weight, unless it breaks. Then you add until it doesn't break.

Will

Comment

that thought has crossed my mind too, what would the lightest Unlimited be? From what little reading on the subject that ive found here in NZ i always thought that Vendetta and the Pond Racer would have to be on the light side of things. Also, Speeddemon, where would i be able to find the super stangs book? im trying to collect airracing literature, i have a couple of books, but im always looking. Ideally id like to find the 'Raceplane Tech' book on the radials as i have the Griffon Mustangs book that includes MA II. and the Racing Corsair and Bearcats book would complete the set.
                race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan
                  that thought has crossed my mind too, what would the lightest Unlimited be? From what little reading on the subject that ive found here in NZ i always thought that Vendetta and the Pond Racer would have to be on the light side of things. Also, Speeddemon, where would i be able to find the super stangs book? im trying to collect airracing literature, i have a couple of books, but im always looking. Ideally id like to find the 'Raceplane Tech' book on the radials as i have the Griffon Mustangs book that includes MA II. and the Racing Corsair and Bearcats book would complete the set.
                  Super Stangs was a two-part article that I wrote for Warbird Digest last year. It basically gave a technical breakdown/history of all the P-51's that have been modified for racing in the Reno-era. You should be able to order back issues from the Warbird Digest website.

Comment

Pond Racer's empty weight was 3500 lbs., loaded weight was about 4200 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                      Super Stangs was a two-part article that I wrote for Warbird Digest last year. It basically gave a technical breakdown/history of all the P-51's that have been modified for racing in the Reno-era. You should be able to order back issues from the Warbird Digest website.
                      My wife thru it away.

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER
                        My wife thru it away.
                        I've found "My dog ate my homework" is a better one. When you blame things on the wife she hears and understands, and you don't get out of trouble with a Belly rub, in fact when you blame the wife you get nowhere near a belly rub.
                        John Slack

Comment

My wife thru it away.
                          I'm not listening, la la la la, I can't hear you!

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan
                            Look on Ebay. That's where I get a lot of my literature.

Jarrod

Comment

My wife thru it away.
                              You mean you x-wife?
                              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
                              X