Conquest I ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conquest I ?

I'm curious besides the wing chop, canopy cut down, and some other cleanup.......what did they do to make her go so fast. If I remember right, she set the record at 483.041mph and that was what 30-35 years ago. Was the 2800 modified? I've always wondered how'd she'd do against today's unlimiteds.
    Brian

Re: Conquest I ?

Originally posted by supercub
    I'm curious besides the wing chop, canopy cut down, and some other cleanup.......what did they do to make her go so fast. If I remember right, she set the record at 483.041mph and that was what 30-35 years ago. Was the 2800 modified? I've always wondered how'd she'd do against today's unlimiteds.
    Brian
    The key to Conquest 1's success (besides the pilot) was weight reduction. Anything that could be taken out, was. Including the entire hydraulics system. The gear free-fell, and was retracted by a one-shot air bottle. The oil cooler was a boil-off system to seal up the airframe.

All the modifications were done so that they could run a stock -2800...which they did.

The fastest that Conquest 1 ever turned around the pylons was a 435 qualifying lap in 1975. She would be, at best, middle of the pack today.

Comment

but what if they did some of the mods they're doing today, what do you think she'd do?

Comment

Sit still even faster, on the floor of the Smithsonian?

Sorry couldn't resist.

Comment

Thanks Dad!
          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Is that what it looked like when Greenameyer bought it?? What was the history of her before racing?? They must have changed the N number, because I thought it was 1111L or something similar to that.
            Brian

Comment

Yup, that's it right out of surplus...

History:
              Antelope Valley Aerial Surveys, Palmdale, CA, 1959.
              - Registered as N7699C.

Daryl G. Greenamyer, Van Nuys, CA, 1961-1975.
              - Registered as N1111L
              - Flown as Race #1/Conquest 1.
              - Piston engine speed record on Aug. 16, 1969 at 483.041 mph.
              - Exchanged with NASM for D.10/BuNo. 90446.
              National Air & Space Museum, Silver Hill, MD, 1976-2004.
              - Displayed at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center as N1111L/Buff.
              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                All the modifications were done so that they could run a stock -2800...which they did.
                While not very modified there were modifications to the R-288 CB16 Package that was Conquest 1's powerplant. The engine was blueprinted by choice of components which Darryl participated in personally, Ray Poe once told me that Darryl trusted nobody else to adjust the valves. There was a significant amount of attention paid to assembly detail. The same People namely George Byard and Bill Jones that provided the engines for Rare Bear provided the engines for Conquest 1, making them the only shop to ever have had two engines that ever held the 3 km record.

The fastest that Conquest 1 ever turned around the pylons was a 435 qualifying lap in 1975. She would be, at best, middle of the pack today.
                With the course restructuring I think the racer would be right at the 460 mark with Darryl flying on good day.

AHHH, for a time machine, I've said it before and will again, Mojave 1975, Hoover says Gentlemen you have a race and the two Bearcats provide the closest run ever to that point only to be passed by Doc Cummins on the last lap with the first Merlin bullet to drive home at speed.
                John Slack

Comment

Those pictures are GREAT, like all yours Victor Archer.........keep'm coming I really enjoy looking at the older pictures. I wonder what Daryl paid for her? Probably $5,000 or so I'm quess'n
                  The first races I went to were in 68 or so, and I fell in love with the T-6's, wanted to buy one really bad, remember looking in Trade A Plane and you could take your pick in $3,000 range............never see those days again. Oh well, I'm lucky for what I have.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                    While not very modified there were modifications to the R-288 CB16 Package that was Conquest 1's powerplant. The engine was blueprinted by choice of components which Darryl participated in personally, Ray Poe once told me that Darryl trusted nobody else to adjust the valves. There was a significant amount of attention paid to assembly detail. The same People namely George Byard and Bill Jones that provided the engines for Rare Bear provided the engines for Conquest 1, making them the only shop to ever have had two engines that ever held the 3 km record.

With the course restructuring I think the racer would be right at the 460 mark with Darryl flying on good day.

AHHH, for a time machine, I've said it before and will again, Mojave 1975, Hoover says Gentlemen you have a race and the two Bearcats provide the closest run ever to that point only to be passed by Doc Cummins on the last lap with the first Merlin bullet to drive home at speed.
                    I was wondering when you might chime in, John! Cool thing is, I JUST watched my copy of "The Super Race" the other night. Quite possibly one of the best Unlimited races run anytime, anywhere. And if you think about it...Dr. Cliff turned in a 422 average. Fastest time ever turned at Mojave, and if you consider the density altitude difference, on par or faster than what was being turned at Reno during that era. Man...if he had ONLY been a bit more...shall we say, competent?

Comment

I was wondering when you might chime in, John!
                      Among other things, I have been distracted by my Mustang Project, So this website has been kind of like a group of friends that you like to visit and hear from but for the moment can't. But then somebody says "Bearcat" in a crowded movie theater and I have to look.

Man...if he had ONLY been a bit more...shall we say, competent?
                      Man you don't know the half of it, if you were there for that day you would have seen him pull off the course on the next to the last lap like the race was over, realize his mistake and honk back down around the course and pass "BOTH Bearcats again!" to take the lead at the finish. the speed posted doesn't take into account the extra distance Cliff flew, Candace, No disrespect meant to your dad that engine just performed, and it was the first Merlin to do all that.
                      John Slack

Comment

cb 16 power section,early series blower section,welded up pistons,and a nose case off a AJ savage which are .35 to 1 as opposed to standard .45 to 1.

Comment

There's a really good write-up on the extensive modifications made to Conquest 1 at the Paul E. Garber virtual tour... mostly extracted from a magazine article:

Conquest 1 @ PG V-tour

Comment

I took this at Garber in 2004. Brad you are welcome for that copy of The Super Race!
                            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by FedexBob
                              I took this at Garber in 2004. Brad you are welcome for that copy of The Super Race!
                              Bob
                              I tip my hat to you every time I pop it in. I'd talked with Bucky for a few years to try to get it transferred--he's got it on 16 mm!

Comment

Working...
                              X