Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EAA ASKS - WHAT IS THE GREATEST AVIATION MOVIE OF ALL TIME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EAA ASKS - WHAT IS THE GREATEST AVIATION MOVIE OF ALL TIME?

WHAT IS THE GREATEST AVIATION MOVIE OF ALL TIME
    MAKE YOUR CHOICE AT WWW.AIRVENTURE.ORG!

See the winning film at the Ford/Eclipse Fly-in Theater during EAA AirVenture 2007

EAA AVIATION CENTER, OSHKOSH, Wis. - (Feb. 26, 2007) - What is the best aviation movie of all time? Some people think it is a heroic war epic. Others are convinced the best is a gripping drama or even a slightly screwball comedy.

The question will be decided once and for all this year, as the Experimental Aircraft Association has opened the voting for "The Greatest Aviation Movie of All Time" at EAA's www.airventure.org website. This website is the complete information center for EAA AirVenture 2007, "The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration," which will be held July 23-29 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh, Wis.

Online voters can choose from one of 10 finalists, which were the most-mentioned films from more than 140 productions nominated by EAA's 170,000 members earlier this year. The top vote-getter will be proclaimed "The Greatest Aviation Movie of All Time," and be shown on the huge outdoor screen at the Ford/Eclipse Fly-In Theater during EAA AirVenture 2007.

"There is no better place to showcase the best aviation film of all time than at EAA AirVenture," said Tom Poberezny, EAA president and AirVenture chairman. "Great aviation films are a celebration of flight, and each year the aviation world gathers at Oshkosh to enjoy the imagination and innovation that flying brings to civilization. We hope everyone has the opportunity to vote for their favorite film, then join us to watch it during EAA AirVenture."

The 10 finalists span more than 40 years of moviemaking, and are based on diverse sources from historical events to best-selling novels. The 10 movies that were the most popular nominations by EAA members, earning its way as one of the finalists, are:

* Twelve O'Clock High (1949), starring Gary Merrill, Gregory Peck and Robert Arthur;

* The High and The Mighty (1954), starring John Wayne and Claire Trevor;

* The Spirit of St. Louis (1957), starring Jimmy Stewart and Murray Hamilton;

* The Flight of the Phoenix (1965), starring Jimmy Stewart and Richard Attenborough;

* Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (1965), starring Stuart Whitman and Sarah Miles;

* The Blue Max (1966), starring George Peppard and James Mason;

* Battle of Britain (1969), starring Laurence Olivier and Robert Shaw;

* The Great Waldo Pepper (1975), starring Robert Redford and Bo Svenson;

* Top Gun (1986), starring Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis;

* Memphis Belle (1990), starring Matthew Modine and Eric Stoltz.

Everyone is welcome to vote in the online poll. Voting will continue through May 2, with winner and viewing date announced shortly thereafter.

Ford Motor Company and Eclipse Aviation are again sponsoring the Fly-In Theater, which will be open each evening (weather permitting) from Sunday, July 22 through Saturday, July 28. There is no admission charge for the theater, which is open to all AirVenture guests. Each evening's show begins at approximately 8:30 p.m., with an introduction by a celebrity presenter, followed by a classic aviation film at about 9 p.m., shown on a projection screen measuring five stories high.

FLYING Magazine senior editor Tom Benenson, who created many of the introductions for the Fly-In Theater at EAA AirVenture 2006, is working with EAA to reach aviation enthusiasts so they participate in the online poll.

"I think everyone who enjoys airplanes has a favorite flying movie and here's an opportunity to settle the question of which one is considered the best," Benenson said.

EAA AIRVENTURE OSHKOSH is The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration and EAA's yearly membership convention. EAA members receive lowest prices on admission rates. For more information on EAA and its programs, call 1-800-JOIN-EAA (1-800-564-6322) or visit www.eaa.org. EAA AirVenture information is also available through the World Wide Web at www.airventure.org.
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: EAA ASKS - WHAT IS THE GREATEST AVIATION MOVIE OF ALL TIME?

Some great movies on that list. I can't believe the Memphis Belle made it. I personally think that movie did a big disservice to the men on her and the rest of the veterans. Was an embarrassing movie. I've often wondered how the original crew felt when they saw it.
    Brian

Comment

The only movie that I possibly have not seen is

The High and The Mighty

...can anybody refresh what it was all about ?

PS: I am reading the memoirs of Lauri Pekuri...the first supersonic finn who was shot down three times and had a tally of 18,5 kills..jailed in USSR in 1944 after baling over hostile terrotory. His Brewster Buffalo is in USA nowadays...hauled from a lake by russians and sold to USA...who does it lawfully belong to ? I recall finns payed hard currency for the Brewsters in 1939 ?
      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
        The only movie that I possibly have not seen is

The High and The Mighty

...can anybody refresh what it was all about ?

PS: I am reading the memoirs of Lauri Pekuri...the first supersonic finn who was shot down three times and had a tally of 18,5 kills..jailed in USSR in 1944 after baling over hostile terrotory. His Brewster Buffalo is in USA nowadays...hauled from a lake by russians and sold to USA...who does it lawfully belong to ? I recall finns payed hard currency for the Brewsters in 1939 ?
        Juke,

The High and the Mighty was pretty corny. I'd compare it to "Airport" or even "Airplane". Though it was a serious airline drama, you cant help but chuckle everytime they put the camera on Robert Stack. He's a pilot who keeps his cool while flying a wounded DC-6. Most of the drama takes place focusing on the passengers on board and how they deal with immortality. John Wayne is...........well.........John Wayne. Its worth seeing. If i remember right, they "did" get the sound of four engines to match the real sound of the plane. A couple really cool action shots make it "aviation film" worthy, but i would'nt put it in the top 100.

The thread on this board within the last month has a "WAY" more comprehensive list than what is shown above.

"12 o'clock High" gets my vote as as all time #1 av flick.
        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Originally posted by sierra fox
          Juke,

The High and the Mighty was pretty corny. I'd compare it to "Airport" or even "Airplane".

The thread on this board within the last month has a "WAY" more comprehensive list than what is shown above.

"12 o'clock High" gets my vote as as all time #1 av flick.
          I agree

" 12 O'clock High "

it is. I saw it recently. It is so realistic that you can really feel the pain of Gregory Peck as a squadron leader when he has to write to the parents of those MIA crews.

Comment

I remember seeing the High and the Mighty when I was much younger, and thought it was great. For years I considered it one of my favorite movies. It was tied up in some legal action for +/-25 years and was not released........then about a year ago or so it became available again. I have to admit, it's not as good as I remembered, but it does have some good scenes. I really like the last few minutes, when they're shooting the approach into SFO.......the music helps make the movie. 12 oclock high is a great movie, no question about it. In a couple of the scenes, the B-17 my father crewed on is shown, have to look fast though, "The Yankee Doodle" he was a radioman/gunner........was grounded later because of his artistic skills.......truthfully, did a lot of drawings on the back of flight jackets as well as nose's of B-17. Also did some murals in various buildings. I still think the movie that has the best overall flying, is Battle of Britain. If you haven't seen it for awhile, take a look at it. There's lots of flying and some great air to air shots. Some of the mass dog fight scenes are the best I've ever seen.
            Brian

PS: I'm home sick with bronchitis, so bored ......so right now, I'm watching Iron Eagle III.......... Where was this filmed?? Love the planes, but what a sorry excuse for a movie. I hope Thunder over Reno is better........wait, it has to be, I don't think anything could be worse then

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
              PS: I'm home sick with bronchitis, so bored ......so right now, I'm watching Iron Eagle III.......... Where was this filmed?? Love the planes, but what a sorry excuse for a movie. I hope Thunder over Reno is better........wait, it has to be, I don't think anything could be worse then
              Most of the movie, I believe, was filmed in and about Mojave.

I still can't figure out what I like best...Chappie Sinclair's "turbo boost" on the P-38, the P-51A painted up like a BF-109, the aluminum foil/chaff, standing up in the seat and shooting an elephant gun, or the hanging onto the straps while the plane is upside down scene.

Its all so confusing.....

Comment

Tough to choose, it's all so realistic

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
                  Tough to choose, it's all so realistic

Hacker and I saw this movie together in a theater when it first came out. I was stationed in Corpus Christi at the time, and he was down for a visit.

There were maybe 5-10 other people in the whole theater, and the two of us were literally laughing out loud, and shouting comments to the screen. It was SO BAD, and yet soooooo goooooooood.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                    I still can't figure out what I like best...Chappie Sinclair's "turbo boost" on the P-38, the P-51A painted up like a BF-109, the aluminum foil/chaff, standing up in the seat and shooting an elephant gun, or the hanging onto the straps while the plane is upside down scene.

Its all so confusing.....
                    I think my favorite part(s) is Rachel McLish...

Comment

Was it Iron Eagle where they had that Saab Draken ( piloted by Skip Holm and finnish mechanics had to come and fix the kite since it was damaged on the explositions during the moviemaking ) and that Rutan small weird prehistorical byrd looking jet ? That was really cool.

Gregory Peck was Brigadier General Savage in the movie...12 O'clock High.

At EEA they forgot the Tyrone Power and Betty Grable classic

A YANK in the R.A.F.

It is a classical love story !

Comment

The problem is, if you've seen Airplane BEFORE any of the movies it was based upon, the originals seem soooo cliche'. If you watch a few of the older airline dramas, High and the Mighty, The Crowded Sky (one I like), Airport (which is also good), Airport 75-79, etc. there is a lot of each in Airplane.
                        Who else remembers George Kennedy (who definately should have known better) firing a flare out the cockpit window of the Concord in the last Airport movie?
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                          The problem is, if you've seen Airplane BEFORE any of the movies it was based upon, the originals seem soooo cliche'. If you watch a few of the older airline dramas, High and the Mighty, The Crowded Sky (one I like), Airport (which is also good), Airport 75-79, etc. there is a lot of each in Airplane.
                          Who else remembers George Kennedy (who definately should have known better) firing a flare out the cockpit window of the Concord in the last Airport movie?
                          Well put Leo,

All of the films mentioned here are "worthy" in one way or another.
                          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Loved the flare gun firing, plus the very end where the tail was sticking up thru the snow and then slowly fell over...................looked like it was made out of sheets of plywood........
                            Brian

Have to love the one with Jack Lemmon where the plane stayed pressurized under water.......wonder where the bleed air was coming from..........oh...bleed water........oh ok....

Comment

the blue max

i remembering watching that as a kid

even in war pilots were gentlemen

Comment

Working...
                              X