Jet Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Class

Heard a pretty credible RUMOR that the jet class was going to allow all non-afterburner jets to participate. Anyone else hear this? Details?
    Tom

Re: Jet Class

Make some room, "round engines versus the Vee's"...........it's gonna be F-86's versus MIG-15's all over again as the new rivals of Reno. God, I hope so...

There's your future for the Reno Air Races, folks. Someday the recips will finally become too scare, expensive or all-of-the-above for racing duty. The unlimited races, someday, are going to have to move up to the jet age, both true jets and turbine-spun propellers.

I just hope I get to make lots and lots of trips to Reno before that day comes....

Comment

That would be cool........

Comment

WOW.........a BD-5J with a JF33......watch out F-86's and Mig 17's

Comment

Jimmy Leeward in the Mig-17 with the afterburner lit and hauling A** around the pylons was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. What year was that?

Comment

Originally posted by JCP
            Jimmy Leeward in the Mig-17 with the afterburner lit and hauling A** around the pylons was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. What year was that?
            If I remember correctly, it was in 2000..I think they ran a "demo" race that year with Jimmy's Mig, one of the Stoli Mig's, and several others.

Now imagine if there was a bunch of these guys racin' on the course:

Fighter Jet at the Reno Air Races running the pilons. Its a 9 mile course he ran in *no* time at all. The pilot officially can not pass the sound barrier a...

Talk about haulin a**...yee haw!!
            Mark Johnson
            Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

I could not understand the anouncer....
              .........what was the "called" lap speed ?
              Mayday51
              Jim Gallagher

Comment

I didn't catch the lap speed either, but looks like he never got out of a steep bank. I wonder how many "G's" he was pulling?

Comment

A demonstration race that took on a life of its own. Is was Pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
                    If I remember correctly, it was in 2000..I think they ran a "demo" race that year with Jimmy's Mig, one of the Stoli Mig's, and several others.
                    I'm not sure of the year, but they sure did. It was a bit WWF, but awesome! It was Jimmy and both Stoli MiGs. There may have been an L-39 or two, but who was watching them? They lit the burners a number of times. Tre Cool!

Comment

It was 2000. A couple more pics

Comment

Oops, forgot this one.

Comment

As I recall the F-18 did 639, I believe an F-16 got close to 680 once, at least that's what the announcers said, that's 591 knots and of course they actually go faster than that, probably around .9 Mach or so.
                          Ron Henning

Comment

Working...
                          X