A tough week for Rare Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tough week for Rare Bear

I hope this doesn't dredge up bad memories...

The Bear Crew worked hard on the balky mill right up through the ill fated qual run Wednesday, there was always great interest at the Cave and good will flowing from the fans.

I was planning on giving Reno a pass this year, but the new prospect of some fresh funding, returning pilot, and a healthy Bear will get my ticket order out the door this week. Blast! I should be paying bills instead of making new ones.

Heading out to the filght line for a runup on Monday. This was after an aborted takeoff attempt.

Standard startup for a round engine.

Also standard amount of oil for a Bear run.

They can only runup to so-much power on the flight line, so down to the other end of the ramp to make some big power.

In for a drink after an apparently successful runup on Tuesday.

She's already belched and popped by this point in another aborted launch run.

Ron B. keeps it out of the weeds, I imagine he was busy at the moment. Mr.Wright in the engine room is protesting.

Still under power, not done just yet.

A little nostalgia.

There was always a lot of attention and goodwill given when ever Rare Bear made an attempt. URL=http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/8/5/c/76380/0913gvd0070.jpg?rev=0]Bear going out to qualify on Wednesday.[/URL]

AIRBOURNE!!!

Lap 1 under the belt, going strong.

OK, now we're cooking with gas!!!

Sadly, moments after that last shot was taken, the engine popped.
    Mayday!

Coming down safely on 14.

Ron B. sits dejected in the cockpit, as they tow Bear in.

Cheers all
    Gerry

Re: A tough week for Rare Bear

It was indeed a tough week for the Bear. After stopping by the pits and hearing first hand about the damage to their power plant, I walked away wondering if they would make it back to race in 07.

My how things have changed. I'm really looking forward to the races this year, but then I say that every year.

Lonnie

Comment

The Rare Bear is the reason I came to Reno for the first time. I had always read about it in magazines. I finally got on line one year and the first search I performed was"RARE BEAR" I always root for that beautiful airplane. Partly because I always support the undergog in any sport. The Bear always seems to be the underdog. Reno would lose its biggest asset (in my eyes) if the Bear is retired. It should be raced hard until it has used the last spare part available.

I know it had a terrible past season. But that seems to be in the past. I have high hopes for it this year. Would love to see it win against some very healthy competition.

Dream Sunday Gold Race= Bear, Strega, September Fury, and Dago

All Healthy and Hungry for the Gold

Ahh............... Someday

Comment

Gee, i missed something ? or what

Is this post is a bout reno Sept. 2006 or a kilometer record run or a world record for a hot lap at Reno.

Splain me.... thankx

BMarsh

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
          Gee, i missed something ? or what

Is this post is a bout reno Sept. 2006 or a kilometer record run or a world record for a hot lap at Reno.

Splain me.... thankx

BMarsh
          Hi Bill
          This is my little chronicle of Reno 2006. I was there to see Bear (among others) race, in person, for my first time. I was disappointed of course, but the latest news is as good a reason as any to make the pilgrimage again.

Cheers
          Gerry

Comment

Roger all the above

My first trip to RENO was iin 97. RARE BEAR was th most incredible aircraft I had ever seen. to me its all about BIG ROUND ENGINES. A very wise and Fast gentleman told me once "there is no replacement for cubic displacement" dont get me wrong I love the lines of a Mustang....but if it only had a 3350.........then it would be a ...........

Bottom line is I love air racing . and if all planes were the same ......it would just be NASCAR in the sky ..... is that really racing anymore?
            I wont miss RENO this year so lets all get together and watch these Racers do thier stuff.....and celebrate the winners may the best TEAM win
            Im just gonna be thrilled to be there

looks like about .06 to me
            cancel stupid diatribe

Comment

Trying to refresh my memory after reviewing the 2006 chronicles of The Bear, what was Ron B.'s speed during the qualifying laps before the engine "popped"? Anywhere close to 232's time? I seem to remember at least something in the 450+ mph range, at that speed the battle for second with the Buick would have been a good one. Unfortunately, it was not to be

Comment

Speed is all about cubic dollars.

This year will be interesting.

Lightly seasoned cubic dollars vs. unseasoned cubic dollars.

Who has the most cubic dollars? Not gonna say, and I honestly won't make that distinction at this time. But, it will be interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by KB Adkins
                  ...what was Ron B.'s speed during the qualifying laps before the engine "popped"? Anywhere close to 232's time?
                  Qualifying Speeds only

Dreadnought - 452.511
                  Rare Bear - 455.774
                  232 - 478.512
                  Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                  My Photos
                  My Ride

Comment

Working...
                  X