In other WarBird News..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In other WarBird News..

Phew... I'd intended to put up a couple stories on the news page but fatigue and a pretty nasty bout with the dreaded insomnia over the past few days (too much excitement for the old man!)

I'm gonna have to let it go for tonight and get the "official" stuff up tomorrow.. although, I did manage to update rarebear.com with the announcement there.. (it's one heck of a lot easier to post sumptin on this board than publish a story!)

On to the other bit of news.. As most of you know, Roy Shoffner, the man who was behind the recovery of the immaculate and historic Glacier Girl P-38, has passed away.

The airplane "officially" changed hands on the evening of February 9th, 2007. Glacier Girl is now owned by Rod Lewis and has been added to his growing and quite wonderful collection of pristine historic warbirds.

I have to say, after meeting Rod Lewis and his family over that weekend, I can say with strong confidence, the airplane could not have a better home with a finer family!

Welcome to Air Racing Rod Lewis, family and friends, and congratulations on taking on the caretaking of this historic flying museum!

Thank god we have people of resources who just happen to love our precious aviation heritage!

Below: Steve Hinton brings GG in for a smooth touchdown, Jardin Ranch, TX.
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: In other WarBird News..

Now THAT's wonderful news! I was dreading re-newing my passport to go see 'our' history! (....well, we did share history with our allies.....)

I love that pic's composition! Thanks, Mr. Sagar!
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

I miss GG, but am glad to know she's in good hands!

Registered members may upload and share images. PLEASE note copyright rules must be followed.
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Very glad to hear that Glacier Girl will be in the hands of an enthusiastic and caring owner....and blue skies to Mr. Roy Shoffner. I remember seeing a piece on the History Channel years ago about the recovery and rebuild effort. Talk about a dedicated group of people...
        Now for my dream scenario...if Mr. Lewis could be persuaded to bring GG out to Reno this year...and if Mr. Hinton could bring up 23 Skidoo from Chino...and if Ezell Aviation gets the White Lightning resto done (Red Lightning? White Bull?) and brings it to Reno....we could have the ultimate P-38 fly by!
        Ahh well, at least I can dream...
        Mark Johnson
        Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Could we hope the RR people would invite Glacier Girl into their gig? At least that might get her out to Reno.
          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Thats funny, Simon Brown just told me to come over to Provenance and see her like 2 weeks ago!

Comment

Working...
            X