Future Directions for Air Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Directions for Air Racing

With a new class this year (Super Sports)
    and lots of talk around here, what changes would you like to see in Airracing?

Rule Changes?

Racing Classes?

Extra Races/Venues?

Alternative Forms of Racing
    ( such as rocket racing/aerobatic races etc)

Not to take away from what we've got or saying anything against what is current, just what the fans on here would like to see in the future.

Maybe at the end of the discussions I'll add it up and see what gets the most interest/votes.

Re: Future Directions for Air Racing

Ok maybe I should say my view.

-Would like to see no restrictions on weight limits in the unlimiteds

-would like more races than 1 per year (a series for the year would be nice)

- More than just L-39s in Jet races.

- A race with the current military jet aircraft going around the pylons

As a different form of racing, a points score for fastest lap speed, even if not racing on the course together, averaged out for a number of different aircraft & types. That way even it out to make it fair for everything from a T-37 to an F-22. So could put the Air Force, Navy, Marines and civilian jets on a handicap system, best overall point score. Anybody going supersonic doesn't get any points for that run.

Love to see some noisy jets on the course with Afterburners.

I know the problems getting some of these to happen, and money, time logistics involved would probably rule out more races etc. But as I said what I would like to see race, not necessarily what will happen

Comment

yeah, jets with afterburners

Comment

Deffinetly more venues! At least two.

Comment

How bout a Super Cub race.......ok ok, bad idea.........not enough hours in the day to complete the race.........

What I'd would really like to see......or wish would happen, is more sponsorship........I think that is the key to racing. That would free up the capital for more airplanes, faster airplanes, but also more races thru out the year.

Brian

Comment

How about CJ or Yak races? I saw a thread (rumour)here years back about that but didn't receive much discussion...well, having just typed that maybe there was a reason for that. BUT, I still think it has huge potential, its a T-6 with a training wheel that you could allow "unlimited" potential. Not only that but they are very affordable and spares are readily available. It would be hard to keep most of them from flying formation around the pylons instead of trying to pass each other but it would be a fun class.

Jim Harley

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
              How bout a Super Cub race.......ok ok, bad idea.........not enough hours in the day to complete the race.........

Brian
              No that's not such a bad idea, just do it a bit differently. The winner is not the fastest Cub around the circut, but the slowest to go around and still stay flying. That would be a new slant to air racing that I'm sure hasn't been done before. (ever seen some of the bike races on an oval at the olympics, where they stand there still for ages).

Hey B17909, you mean the Nanchangs and Yak-52's , not the Yak 3/9/11's right? I like it, nice popular aircraft, good sound, lots around. Would be a good class if the T-6's start to get to rare /expensive or those guys start to use up all there motors.

Here's some others that I would like to see,

A multi engine race, imagine all these guys together, B-17, B-24, B-25,B-26, A-26, B-29, Tigercat, Dc-7 and a C-130. Heard that all have a least done a lap on the course. Put in a Constellation, maybe a P-3 and a Tu-95 for a seperate turboprop class with the Herc. Just imagine the sound from all those
              props and motors. Now that would be something

Turboprp class. Like to see the speeds they could get compared to the pistons. There's the Pc-7, Lancairs, Glassairs, Legend, Cameron 51, modified aerobatic aircraft (like the Turbo Raven/Shark conversions)as well as current military trainers, Pc-21, T-6 II, Pc-9 Super Tucano

How about a time to climb race. Each class that races, with the aircraft going up one at a time. Fastest time to 10,000', or the FAI recognized 3000m. Could get some world/class records there, that would be good publicity (with prize money for records from a sponsor).

Love the sight of jets going straight up, and what the Rocket races could do. Then have a demo with an aircraft from each class flying past and all climb out as a comparison between them. How about it guys, what do you think

Comment

i'd like the drag races to make a comeback, one lap, short enought for even the Red Bull crowd

Comment

If the question is what would I like to see :-

1) A totally unlimited race. Rockets and jets allowed. Anyone not going supersonic is disqualified. After burners must be used with the jets.
                  Finals are held at night.

2) A stash of mint condition Bearcats and Mustangs is found in sealed containers at the bottom of the ocean. With dozens of the "New" prototype high horsepower engines.

3) An unlimiteds "light" class is started

4) Turboprop class (separate from the unlimiteds)

Comment

Originally posted by Reno_Steve
                    2) A stash of mint condition Bearcats and Mustangs is found in sealed containers at the bottom of the ocean. With dozens of the "New" prototype high horsepower engines.
                    The problem with that fantasy is that the Mustangs would race and the Bearcats would still be "owned" by the U.S. Navy and, therefore, remain underwater...

Comment

1) A totally unlimited race. Rockets and jets allowed. Anyone not going supersonic is disqualified. After burners must be used with the jets.
                      Finals are held at night.
                      Where you one of the kids who always had a walkman on, had a huge stereo in the car and played drums for a heavy Metal Band?

Love the thought of the race , But with all those Burners and Sonic Booms it has to be said that would be seriously LOUD!

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead
                        The problem with that fantasy is that the Mustangs would race and the Bearcats would still be "owned" by the U.S. Navy and, therefore, remain underwater...
                        ...and the problem with that is? ...

(curls up behind the arctic front and waits for heat to arrive )

Low

Comment

Well I live in Australia and there is plenty of room in the outback to host such a race. Nearest non interested person could be hundreds of kilometers away. We only introduced a maximum speed limit for cars this year.

Comment

Well I live in Australia and there is plenty of room in the outback to host such a race. Nearest non interested person could be hundreds of kilometers away. We only introduced a maximum speed limit for cars this year.

another Aussie around here. It was a sad day when the N.T. put in those limits, I wanted to take a car up and go on a high speed run.

Comment

My uncle did a post years ago on Pylon1 or whatever it was.....

His panic about where this raceing was heading.... "THE 25 YEAR BUBBLE", i believe was his posting.... (his intention was ... "it aint gonna last forever, some one .... do sumpton"

Well looks like.... gracious audious..... we are.

We got an explosion of interest with serious money and very serious talent..... and that is real cool.

BMarsh

Comment

Working...
                              X