Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old photos

A test....
    Fyrtle myrtle at Travis AFB in the late 70's.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Re: old photos

we have some at Oakland airport around 1977 Art stagg gave us a tour of it back then Shawn

Comment

Leo here is the b-29 but its at Madera. with the challenge b-25 also i thought i would put up lynn Hunt Cessna flying with Lloyd Hamilton flying off the Golden Gate Bridge.. Enjoy Shawn
      Attached Files

Comment

Trying again...
        Yea!
        The first is of Sentimental Journey fresh from being a fire bomber.

The second is the lot at POF in 1974. A lot was stored outside, the p-38, Raiden. ME-262,Hellcat, B-50, B-17, Tora replicas, B-25. It looked like a sad junkyard. boy they've come a long way!

The third is one of the Catch-22 B-25,s stored in Tallichets lot I think.

The fourth is wally Mcdonalds On Mark B-26K at the Travis airshow around 75 0r so. This one later crashed at Mojave if I remember right.

The next is Fyrtle Myrtle. Travis airshow late 70,s or 80.

Next is the POF P-38 looking very sad. I'm not sure if this is Josie or the one they restored later.

Next is Tallichet's P-38. The first I got close to. This is now at Mguire AFB.

Last is the yard near Tallichets hangar. There are Catch-22 B-25's, an Avenger, several P-39 hulks and a PILE of parts here.

Some of these were 110 film so a little grainy and all have faded. I've been digging thru some old stuff. will post more!
        Attached Files
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Amazingly, most of those planes are still around.

Fertile Myrtle is with Kermet Weeks. The camo B-25 is at March AFB Museum. Tallichet's P-38 ended up atop a pole at McQuire AFB in New Jersey. Sentimental Journey, of course, is still with the Arizona Wing of the CAF (though it is cool to see it still in its Aero Union "Class of 44" firebomber markings. The PoF planes are still around, though I believe that the Hellcat in the picture is the one that Art Vance was killed in.

Wonderful stuff, Leo. Keep them coming if you have more!

Comment

Thanks. Home for the day, a rarity...
            At that time (1974) the POF was a couple of hangars with some aircraft inside (I can't seem to find any pics tho, probably too dark), some memorabilia and gunner training "games" (this was before Pong) and we had a blast. The airport was open for wandering as were most. Aero Sport was in full swing, the hangar was full of mustangs with Stump Jumper, Miss suzy Q and Miss candace standing out.
            I had gotten my drivers license in Feb., my dad convinced my best friends parent's to let him come with me, and we spent the summer going from airport to airport on the west coast to Mexico and back (another story for another time). Chino and OC airport (Tallmantz) were the Mecca's.
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
              The next is Fyrtle Myrtle. Travis airshow late 70,s or 80.

Some of these were 110 film so a little grainy and all have faded. I've been digging thru some old stuff. will post more!
              Leo - This look any better?
              Attached Files

Comment

Anybody know if any of the transparancy scanners have 110 adaptors??

I tried to get tricky with my old PhotoSmart scanner but never got anywhere... Wondering if you could stick them in a 35mm slide frame and trick it to scan them???

Hummn...

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                  Anybody know if any of the transparancy scanners have 110 adaptors??

I tried to get tricky with my old PhotoSmart scanner but never got anywhere... Wondering if you could stick them in a 35mm slide frame and trick it to scan them???

Hummn...

Best bet - Buy the super duper 35mm slide holders that have thin glass side covers to hold the slide flat for projection - the only problem might be fringing from light leaking around the corners of the neg/slide, but that should be easy to fix with a mask.

Comment

Is Fyrtle Myrtle the B-29 that went to the Weaks Museum? What is the status with that B-29? Thanks
                    Brian

Comment

Its a little better.
                      Myrtle was damaged by a hurricane at Weeks. She was disassembled at the time. I don't know what the plans are to restore her.
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

A bunch of tricky compound skin work to the B-29 forward fuselage was done at Sanders at Chino after the hurricane.

The P-63 in the Chino lot pic was the one Tallichet restored and later was totalled in a stall/spin accident at an airshow over in Europe. This would be the second Grey owned Kingcobra to bite it. Different accident than Tipsy Miss.

Cool old shots. Frank Tallman offered my Dad one of the Catch 22 bombers for 2500 bucks with new batteries and tires. Dad's response was something like, "...what am I going to do with it, Frank?"

Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                          Its a little better.
                          Myrtle was damaged by a hurricane at Weeks. She was disassembled at the time. I don't know what the plans are to restore her.
                          Great old shots Leo thanks for sharing!

Here's old Mertyl after completion and just prior to heading back home. My introduction to bucking rivets was the 20 new skins seen here. Learned how to be a contortionist getting the bar in some of those compound curved area's.
                          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Working...
                          X