88 Reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 Reno

Here's some shots from the course in '88. These were scans from really weathered slides, nothing spectacular but hope they're worth it for nostalgia's sake!
    Attached Files
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Re: 88 Reno

.....three more
    Attached Files
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

....from the Gold
      Attached Files

Comment

Sigh, I always forget how oddly beutifull Tsunomi was.

Comment

SF, Thanks for posting those photos. A little nostaligia is clearly a good thing.

Comment

Tsunami was, in a word, perfection. Try to never forget!
            _________
            -Matt
            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Tsunami was a cool plane. How much is left? It was built from scraps (ok, a bit more than that) I wonder how hard it would be to rebuild and try again. Obviously it would take someone with a very deep pocketbook. It would be so cool to see Tsunami back at the races.

Just a thought,
              Will

Comment

JRS' daughter, Sharon, owns what's left.
                More detail can be found here:

...and here:

Outdated web pages, yes, but they give you the last status update. Essentially Sharon has Tsu's parts in a trailer, and it needs more than a rebuild... it needs a reconstruction, virtually from the ground up. Unfortunately, the largest chunks of the talent pool who created Tsu have passed away, meaning a rebuild attempt would perhaps require levels of genious you can't even buy. One thing's for sure: if I won the powerball tomorrow, spearheading an effort to rebuild Tsunami would be #1 on my list of things to do.
                _________
                -Matt
                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I like those old shots.

Dennis flying 924, "No Dad, I didn't turn up the prop governor. I FLEW it 10 mph faster!"
                  The ONLY time Precious Metal went fast.
                  Sandgrenade Merlins.
                  Bob Yancey.
                  232 looking much more staid.
                  Lloyd with Furious in Miss Budwieser paint.

Thanks for the memories.
                  Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris McMillin
                    I like those old shots.

Dennis flying 924, "No Dad, I didn't turn up the prop governor. I FLEW it 10 mph faster!"
                    The ONLY time Precious Metal went fast.
                    Sandgrenade Merlins.
                    Bob Yancey.
                    232 looking much more staid.
                    Lloyd with Furious in Miss Budwieser paint.

Thanks for the memories.
                    Chris...
                    True...Precious Metal DID go fast that year (453 in qualifying)...but it only completed TWO laps of racing the whole year. DNS on Friday, two laps then a precautionary mayday on Saturday, and a spectacular DNS on Sunday.

If nothing else, Ron has managed to SAFELY race the plane and have it able to fly home at the end of the week.

Gads, remember what Brother Don went through the second time he raced it at Reno in '95? Air racing can be dangerous to your health......

Comment

True, That!
                      Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                        True...Precious Metal DID go fast that year (453 in qualifying)...but it only completed TWO laps of racing the whole year. DNS on Friday, two laps then a precautionary mayday on Saturday, and a spectacular DNS on Sunday.

If nothing else, Ron has managed to SAFELY race the plane and have it able to fly home at the end of the week.

Gads, remember what Brother Don went through the second time he raced it at Reno in '95? Air racing can be dangerous to your health......
                        Was that the year he lost the canopy and had returned later in the day??

Comment

great shots thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by sierra fox
                            Was that the year he lost the canopy and had returned later in the day??
                            Yup, and then the next day he had the coolant line come loose in the cockpit and scalded his face.

Comment

not sure what year but at Mojavy Frank old sea fury 232 in the early 70's photo by my dad Shawn
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X