aircraft which are permitted up to 1000 cu. in., fuel from any
    truck on the flight line plus any additive including Nitrous Oxide,
    ADI without an alcohol percentage limit and the ability to bump
    down into the Sport Gold/Silver division if in compliance with the
    restrictions of those Sport categories.

3. Aircraft competing in Sport Gold and Silver
    will consist of qualifiers nine through sixteen and are restricted
    to 650 cu. in displacement, fuel from any truck on the flight line
    without the enhancement of additives or Nitrous and no ADI.

4. All displacements may be supercharged and all
    aircraft must weigh less than 4500 lbs and conform to the five kit
    minimum requirement.

5. All divisions will race on a slightly expanded
    Sport Course following a start lap on the existing Unlimited Course.

Although the names have changed, the Class will continue to consist
    of three divisions and the number of aircraft comprising a full
    field remains the same at twenty eight (three heats of eight plus
    four alternates).
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Re: Super Sport Approved by RARA

That is awesome news!!! This should make things interesting in the coming months. Lots of rumors to follow, I'm sure.

I would have liked see the 5 kit minimum go away with these changes to promote some one off designs for sport class, but this is still all really great news from a fans perspective!

Thanks for the info Victor.

Comment

Probably not popular but, I don't like the idea of a sport class getting this close in displacement to the Unlimiteds. Yes I do like the sport class and yes I think this is very exciting but I see this as another step toward eliminating the Unlimiteds that I love so much. The Unlimiteds are the main reason I go to Reno, even if they are low tech compared to the sport class.
      Hard hat, check.

Jarrod

Comment

What happens if an aircraft with a larger than 650cui engine misses the cut by a small amount. Is it excluded from the rest of the meeting ?

Generally I am in favour of this class and look forward to times that are going to be pushing the unlimiteds.
        Should be an awesome class.

Comment

Great News, Mr. Archer!!!! This can only be the beginning of some SPECTACULAR RACING!!! .......not that some of those ships aren't already bending the space/time continuum.......
          Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

To answer Steve's question: Yes, if an airplane enters Super Sport and qualifies 9th fast he sits on the ramp until there is drop out. The Super Sport heat is 8 airplanes. He can't bump down to the Sport Gold since he would not fit the engine or fuel requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
              I see this as another step toward eliminating the Unlimiteds that I love so much.
              Hasn't this one been obvious since the Sport Class was initially formed?

It's inevitable that one day the Sports will take over the Unlimiteds as warbirds become more and more expensive to care and feed for and Sport racers get faster and faster...

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                Hasn't this one been obvious since the Sport Class was initially formed?

It's inevitable that one day the Sports will take over the Unlimiteds as warbirds become more and more expensive to care and feed for and Sport racers get faster and faster...

Hacker Johnson is right! I agree with Randy, Jarrod. While the Super Sport class will never truly 'replace' the Unlimiteds, it is laying the groundwork for something that will come close to filling the shoes when the day comes that the last Merlin and -3350 fires up. That day will come sometime.

Give the Super Sport class a chance to mature for 10 years or so, and then you'll be looking at aircraft that are 'bigger'--as in closer to the size of Unlimiteds, perhaps with a truly Unlimited engine displacement. And in reality, this goes back to the spirit of the sport back in the 30's....as well as carrying on the tradition of all the 'homebuilt' Unlimiteds that have been designed but just never made it.

My only fear is that the Super Sport class may be too much, too soon, effectively weakening the strength of what the Sport Class has worked so hard to build over the last few years. I know Dave Morss has voiced his objections to this move........Dave? Thoughts?

Comment

This whole concept will likely redefine the concept of MAYDAY! (and expand the threads about escape systems).

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                    Super Sport shall consist of the fastest eight
                    aircraft which are permitted up to 1000 cu. in., fuel from any
                    truck on the flight line plus any additive including Nitrous Oxide,
                    ADI without an alcohol percentage limit and the ability to bump
                    down into the Sport Gold/Silver division if in compliance with the
                    restrictions of those Sport categories.

They should have the same rules for the entire class.All the same I think this is good news because will should see some new racers and higher speeds.

Comment

Hopefully it does'nt go the way of the Racing Biplane class and end up with two planes chasing each other around the course. Or worse the "Super Gold".
                      Seems to me a good way to keep life in it all tho. Definately adding a lot more interest: I for one will definately look forward to the changes in speeds and equipment each year!
                      Can't wait to see what Darryl will hang on the front of his next racer...
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

The ADI and Nitrous along and other additives will certainly bring some new speeds.

Questions arise: Will the GP-5 pass the 5-kit test using the GP-4 lineage?

Will a non-turbo Legend maybe now show up with a big V-8 or maybe a V-12?

Now, who can tentatively speculate on what new engines (650+) will really show up in 2007, and on which aircraft? Make a list.

Blue Foam: Any hope for a re-emergence of the Batten V-12?

Comment

So ladies and germs,

Whats on the table now that will fill this "grand SS" class.

1> a lyc 720
                          2> a super lyc 720 ++
                          3> a symeaze (sp?
                          5> dougle alloy rat 502
                          4> a turboed... big NOS tanked R985
                          6> falconer v16
                          7> a real viable neo 1000 CID R roundy motor from CCCP or Panda land.

Over,
                          BMarsh

Comment

How about 2 Orenda (aka Thunder V-8) at 495 cubic inches each.

Comment

I would rather have seen them institute an Unlimited Lights class, and leave the Sport class the way it was. They could have used basically the same guidelines as they did now, and throw out that silly 5 kit rule. I hope that this move does not push out the Bronze class racers such as the Harmon Rockets etc in the near future, but it is so heavily biased toward the faster aircraft that it will happen. Any form of racing class needs an "entry level" to remain in existance. I think RARA is slowly closing that door for the sport racers. Also with the fuel rule stating fuel from any truck on the ramp, does that mean Daryl (and possibly others) will have to get RARA to allow them to put a diesel tanker on the ramp?

Comment

Working...
                              X