A little help on lenses please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help on lenses please.

I used to have a Nikon D70 with a 18-70mm lens. I now have a D200 and I put a 24-120 lens on it. I didn't think I used that 18-24 range that much but I sure miss it. I'm thinking about buying the AF-S DX ZOOM-NIKKOR 12-24mm F/4G ED-IF but I'm concerned that I will be constantly changing lenses (yuk) while hanging out in the Reno pits.

Wayne, I know you have a wide angle lens you are fond of.

What are some of you alls thoughts.

Re: A little help on lenses please.

Ken,

I've got the 24-120VR and I love it... but sometimes, it's just not wide enough. Last year, I bought both the 10.5 Nikon fisheye (hardly ever use it) and the Sigma 10-20.

The 10-20 is a really nice lens for those times when you REALLY need wide!

You're still left with the dilemma of changing lenses.. Although, from my experience, changing lenses is less of a risk (depending on conditions, of course) for getting dust on the chip than is the use of a wide zoom... read that zoom vacuum cleaner!

That's where you get most your dust.. IMHO..

But buy a chip brush, keep it handy and clean often.. it's about all you can do.

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Nikon makes a very decent 18-200 that is often bundled with the D200. I plan to pick one up later this year because my CCD gets so dusty from all the lense changes i do with my "old school" equipment.
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I bought the 24-120 because I thought it overlaped nicely with my 80-400 but I won't get that with the 12-24. The camera store told me that they don't believe that dust comes in through the lens, but they never been to Reno. I wonder if a fixed focal length might be a better option. Guess I'll get a chip brush and learn how to use it. Thanks Wayne.

That 18-200 looks interesting. Let us know how it works out.

And Hey, you Canon guys, we might have a different surf board but we are riding the same wave. What's your thoughts?

Comment

I have a Pansonic with a 32-400 lens. No need to change that!

Comment

I have the 24-105 f4L IS and the 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS and the camera is the Rebel XT. I have been very happy with the results and I am still glad I made the decision to spend the money on the lenses rather than the camera. Rarely do I wish I had wider than 24mm, although if I had one I'm sure I would wonder how I got along without one.

Jarrod

Comment

The dirty little curse of cropped sensors is the narrow angle of view. People have forgotten how usefull and interesting wide angle glass can be. If the Nikkor 12-24 is a good quality lens, buy and use it. You'll either quickly learn to love it, or can sell it later for most of it's original price. Whenever I shoot with my FF stereo camera, it reminds me how much I miss having true wide angle glass for my 30D. I don't care who's camera you use. The situation is the same.
              No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
              http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Working...
              X