A Wingman Quiz...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wingman Quiz...

Well kids, it's that time again! Here's a shot from at least a couple of years back -- name the year, the players, and the race (heat or final, day etc if possible).

Speed, Goss and Shawn excluded for now.

Actually, I expect Brad should particularly like this one (hint)...

Neal
    Attached Files

Re: A Wingman Quiz...

I'll take a stab!

Reno 79 Friday Gold heat. Hinton in the RB-51 followed by MaClain in Jeannie which also set the new qualifying record at almost 447! Not sure what lap but McClain beat him out by less than an mph when the checkers were flyin'!

Thanks for sharing that pic
    Last edited by sierra fox; 02-13-2007, 06:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

I think I know, Neal...but I'll P.M. my answer to you.....so as not to spoil it for the others.

Comment

Nice try Sierra Fox -- but not quite there. Mac was top qualifier in 1979, but had to drop out of the start formation on Sunday with engine problems ( he did a truly wild version of a fighter break on landing though!)

So wrong year and a wrong player. Brad knows, as I knew he would -- any other tries??

Neal

Comment

Hey Neal, I know the timeline cuts it kind of close since you first started going to Reno...but do you have any shots of Cliff Cummins in Miss Candace from out at the pylons?

Comment

Not much, Brad -- one fairly decent black and white from 78, but no color that I remember. Cliff didn't get a whole lot of course time in those years...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
              Not much, Brad -- one fairly decent black and white from 78, but no color that I remember. Cliff didn't get a whole lot of course time in those years...

Neal
              Yeah, I think '77 was the last 'decent' run when he actually FINISHED the championship race in third.

Was just curious.

Comment

No idea as to the answer, but it looks as if a/c number 2 is either spraying a lot of water, or is about to blow lunch.
                No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

2000, Dago Red in the lead with Voodoo trailing? Am I close?
                  Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                    2000, Dago Red in the lead with Voodoo trailing? Am I close?

You disappoint me, Bill.............sigh...............

Comment

Gee Bill -- you missed by a decade or two, and when the photo was taken neither of your guesses even existed as racers. So I guess it's up to you to decide whether you qualify as close or not!

Nice try though, LOL...

Anybody else? We know there's enough information here to do it, cause Brad Knowitall got it pretty quickly.

Neal

Comment

Race: Unlimited Gold Date: 1979-09-16 Distance: 98.20 miles
                        Pilot Name: Crocker, John Aircraft: Sumthin' Else - Race 6 Type: P-51D Mustang
                        Time: Speed: 422.302 Place: 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pilot Name: Hinton, Steve Aircraft: Red Baron - Race 5 Type: RB-51 Mustang
                        Time: Speed: 415.967 Place: 2
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I thought the RB didnt get it's white wings until 78 or 79 but it must be DG leading Whittington (in Precious Metal) during the Championship on Sunday. Darryl set the new course record that day!

RB - 430.703 - 1st

PM - 425.701 - 2nd
                          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

AAAACCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

Hold me back, Neal....hold me back.

I didn't even have to look it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are killing me.

Comment

Be calm Brad -- You've got to admit that this one is getting closer.

In fact Sierra Fox has it bracketed now...

By the way, SF, you had a good clue with the wing color.

Neal

Comment

Working...
                              X