Aircraft seen via Google Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft seen via Google Earth

I know a number of members have used the free Google Earth satellite-photo program, but has anyone else used it to look for familiar aircraft?

I haven't seen any racers outside their hangars yet, but I have seen a few planes I recognize at Edwards AFB.

Specifically, I found the NASA 747 used for transporting the shuttle, sitting near the structure used for loading the spacecraft on it's back.

I also found a pair of B-52s that I think are that ones used for air-launches. At least I THINK I see the pylon between the fuselage and inboard engines on the right wing of the former bombers.

And one white aircraft in a display setting looks like one of the original X-planes, although that's just an assumption.

Finally, I saw a group of 4 aircraft on one hardtop, but I only recognize a T-38 and a pair of F-18s. I can't figure out the 4th plane next to the T-38 though. It kind of looks like an F-14, but I think I see canards near the cockpit...Agile Eagle perhaps?

(Note that the satellite pictures were shot somewhere in the last 3-5 years, so don't go looking for the plane you parked outside your hangar yesterday. You won't find it... ).

IF you haven't tried Google Earth yet, give it a try. It's amazing the things you can find on it:

TIP: Despite their recommendation of a 128 kb/sec connection, it works just fine on my dial-up modem. You just have to wait a little longer.

**Admin note** Removed copyrighted images**
    (sorry guys.... can't mess with Google!)

Re: Aircraft seen via Google Earth

I was looking at U.S. Air Force Bases last week and found an F-117 sitting outside a hanger....I'm not telling where....let's see who finds it first!
    I'm not bored...no...not at all....heh heh!
    "Cover Me... My Gun's Jammed"

Comment

Ut Oh, Last time we did this we all got into trouble for copyright issues...
      Are the Google Earth Images Copyright still??? I think so...

I have found Warlock sitting outside it's hanger at Shafter and Randy's yellow Grumman can be seen at Yolo County airport.

There are a lot of interesting places to visit, Ospreys at Edwards, B-58 at the edge of the lakebed, China Lake, ect... Any of the active AFB's are interesting as are Boneyards!!!
      Sometimes little airports have something of interest.
      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
        Finally, I saw a group of 4 aircraft on one hardtop, but I only recognize a T-38 and a pair of F-18s. I can't figure out the 4th plane next to the T-38 though. It kind of looks like an F-14, but I think I see canards near the cockpit...Agile Eagle perhaps?
        Did you spot the SR-71?
        Mark Johnson
        Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
          Ut Oh, Last time we did this we all got into trouble for copyright issues...
          Are the Google Earth Images Copyright still??? I think so...
          You can share images...

Comment

I was mezmorized by the boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB in Arizona.....from what everyone was saying in another thread, they are starting to clear out the inventory and cutting up airframes for salvage.

Comment

Check out places like Pinal Air Park at Mirana, AZ. Or the fire base at Greybull, WY. Mojave is fun too. Any of the outdoor air museums....though I was a bit disappointed at Chino. Not much 'iron' out in the light that is in focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara
                I was told by Wayne not to post them...

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
                  Did you spot the SR-71?
                  hehehe which one??? also Blackbird park is pretty close at Palmdale, some interesting things there too...

Comment

I can spot my son in laws pickup parked at the skunkworks....he's got his crotch rocket in the back....does that count????

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                      hehehe which one??? also Blackbird park is pretty close at Palmdale, some interesting things there too...
                      It's the one off of Lilly Avenue, kinda up around the north end of the base..sitting off all by itself. It's the only one I was able to spot, but I certainly coulda missed any others...Edwards is a BIG place...
                      Mark Johnson
                      Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

I found a P-51D on a pole near roseville calif, whats nice is that the plane isnt there anymore. I hope its being restored. If you want to see it look in the military forum, planes on a pole post.

And I know where that SR-71 is, or at least another one on display

Bob

Comment

Is that the P-51 that "flew above the restaurant next to highway 80? If so, I recall it well (and yes, it's been grounded the last 2 Septembers).

I haven't spotted the blackbird at Edwards yet, but I did see the one in the outdoor museum at Castle AFB, along with a B-36 and many more rare birds.

(EDIT: just found it at Edwards, along with the F-4, F-104 and 2 others I haven't identified yet that are positioned nearby).

Gonna go look for the B-58 now. Hollar if you find an unlimited somewhere...

Comment

Good eyes aDOGGe! It's the 'ACTIVE' program F-15! NASA's back to flying her again. The two B-52s, gray one is 008...THE 'balls 8'....and the white is 61-025, her replacement, we call her MobyBUFF, except NASA doesn't want it anymore.
                            They contract with Scaled's White Knight!
                            The SR-71 at the north end of the base was the 'B' model Marta Meyer
                            used to fly in.
                            If you folks are really bored, look to the WSW of the NASA ramp and you may spot the Piper Enforcer! Or, look east of the lakebed straight across from main base,there's a B-47! If you look real close at the B-58, you'll see Waldo..........
                            Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Airdogge I think the other plane is that F-15 with the conards.

Comment

Working...
                              X