Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Critical Mass Photo's "yay!"

Hi Friends,

Got a PM from Tom Dwelle asking for help posting these photo's of Critical Mass as it sits in the hanger. It is really exciting to hear about all the work being done on these great planes.

Don
    "Are You Ready for The Bear in 2007?"
    Attached Files
    Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
    Any Race Team Need One?

Re: New Critical Mass Photo's "yay!"

Thanks to Don for the posting help.

Fuselage is a week or so from being ready to go to Sanders for the metal work. Brother Ken has been scouring the world for NOS parts.
    As soon as the Fuselage is gone, we'll begin to teardown the center wing section. This thing is really going to be sweet.

TJ Dwelle

Comment

Tommy-

Stirring it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dwelle
        Tommy-

Stirring it up!

Actually, I'm very excited that she won't be a hangar queen for the next 10 years.

This past fall, Ken and I were doing speed runs in the T-6's 2 or 3 times per week to get ready for the Gold race. Our priorities have definitely changed. I don't think Randy Goss will need to be worried about us this year.

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by TWD
          I don't think Randy Goss will need to be worried about us this year.

TJ

Come on, TJ....Goss would be worried if his dad was the only plane in the field. :-)

Brad

Comment

If I were going to Stir it up, I would talk about the wings.....

TJ

Comment

I think I'm gonna be....yep I'm sick.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah
                I think I'm gonna be....yep I'm sick.

OK, I get the hint.
                I won't post any more pictures.
                It's just too painful.

TJ

Comment

Keep posting pictures TJ.

It's just, that was truely my favorite racer.........better looking than Rare Bear.

Comment

King-

There are many things in life that are just marvelous to look at but quite different to live with. There is a big difference between the kind of girl you should marry and the kind you would like to date for a while.

I'll tell you I didn't have any problem helping to drill all that stuff off of the airplane and watching the pile of aluminum grow on the hangar floor with one exception....I REALLY liked the way the side panels looked with the exhaust troughs and covers. We really agonized about how to keep that, but in the end it just wouldn't work. We gave the entire exhaust system to Dave Cornell to use on the Bear and that was that. We had to de-cowl and carefully inspect the exhaust after every race, we frequently had to weld cracks. I have been told that the exhaust system in 911 has 600+ hours with no cracks. That astounds me.

I have enclosed another photo of the new tail we found. The old tail and rudder will live on as a hangar decoration.

Ken
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ken and TJ,

I totally understand your thinking. I would just like to say that my first Reno was in 2003, better late than never, and although there were faster planes none looked the part of air racer, to me, more than CM. The wings, the cockpit location, the paint, the whole package.

So as I understand your postion it still pains me to see her like she is. Good luck and I hope that plane can give you the happiness your looking for.

Please continue to post pictures for all to enjoy but understand I will miss seeing like I did the first time at my first National Championship Air Races event.

Comment

Working...
                      X