Racing history question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing history question

Am trying to find out what air races have been run in the USA besides Reno since 1991. Hoping this is the place to ask.

cheers, Boom

Re: Racing history question

They first started out in Cleveland if im not mistaking, but they deceided to move the races somewheres else after a P-51 crashed into a house..

I believe they also raced at the mojave desert a few times...

(don't take my word for it im only 17 and been into airracing for a few years... I better just let the "experts" of the website take this one... but i tried lol)
    W.Hughes

Comment

Well, since 1991, Tunica is the only one I can think of.

Comment

T6's and IF1's raced at Richland WA in '85 and '86 if memory serves me correct. T6's also raced at Redmond OR around '88 or '89. T6's raced at Wendover UT/NV in the late eighties as I recall. IF1's raced at Laughlin NV in recnet years.

Comment

Phoenix mid-90s?

T J

Comment

Phoenix, AZ in 1994 and 1995; and in Tunica, Mississippi in 2005. All I could find. G

Comment

In the 90's Formula One has raced in: Stockton CA (demo race); Laughlin NV; Casper WY; Lanchaster CA; Phoenix AZ; Battle Creek MI; Page OK; Paso Robles; Mojave; Boundary Bay BC (almost US)
              I think that's all....

Paul
              Last edited by Apteryx; 02-01-2007, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Denver in '92, Kansas City in '93, Phoenix in '94-95, and Tunica in '05 for the Unlimiteds.

Comment

What kind of race is the modern King's Cup?

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah
                      What kind of race is the modern King's Cup?

A handicap 'free-for-all'. Run what you brung.

The ONLY interesting thing in the history of the Kings Cup that I can recall is that in the 1960's, Tiger's old "Mangia Pane" raced in it a couple of times. Red with white trim. #100, I believe. But he never finished well, because you have to 'race' within a certain percentage of your qualifying time.

Comment

Originally posted by RRMERLIN7
                        They first started out in Cleveland if im not mistaking, but they deceided to move the races somewheres else after a P-51 crashed into a house..

I believe they also raced at the mojave desert a few times...

(don't take my word for it im only 17 and been into airracing for a few years... I better just let the "experts" of the website take this one... but i tried lol)
                        These young kids showing up makes me feel not so young. lol

Jarrod

Comment

You know Jarrod I'm not too old and I have only been to Reno three years but I had a thought just today looking at the Skyfire website. I have been watching for many years on TV and finally in person the same people and pilots run the Unlimited Race since the '80's.

This is not a bad thing but I feel as a younger fan, not as young as MMERLIN7 of course, that I am in the minority.

Do you guys know who will fill the shoes of the current Owners and Pilots? I know several of our hero's are getting older and I hope they fly as long as they want but I don't see clearly who will replace these guys.

Maybe I should post this in it's own thread but I feel it is closely related to the history which I beleive got a little better coverage in the past.

Comment

Unlimiteds, T-6, & F-1's at Tunica, MS in '05. The winners were three of the most colorfull.
                            Mystical Power

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah
                              You know Jarrod I'm not too old and I have only been to Reno three years but I had a thought just today looking at the Skyfire website. I have been watching for many years on TV and finally in person the same people and pilots run the Unlimited Race since the '80's.

This is not a bad thing but I feel as a younger fan, not as young as MMERLIN7 of course, that I am in the minority.

Do you guys know who will fill the shoes of the current Owners and Pilots? I know several of our hero's are getting older and I hope they fly as long as they want but I don't see clearly who will replace these guys.

Maybe I should post this in it's own thread but I feel it is closely related to the history which I beleive got a little better coverage in the past.
                              I just turned 19 and 2007 will be the 10th reno I have been to that I can remember (twice as a baby don't count). I think having all those kids take fieldtrips to the races last year was a great idea, I wish I fieldtrips like that. When I win the lottery I will buy a racer and race it. But I believe you are right, there are not a lot of young people at the races. Back when reno started there were a lot of young people racing their planes there but now most pilots are much older as well as the planes.

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                              X