Allison as a race motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allison as a race motor

Was looking up the speeds of various aircraft at Reno and noticed that there wasn't ever any speeds that were particular quick with aircraft powered by an Allison. I didn't see it ever going over 400mph with most of the speeds in the 300-350mph range. I know that it isn't slow low down but is more like speeds in the sports class done with much less power (and less weight).

Is it because the motor has never really been worked on for racing, that it isn't a very suitable motor for airracing, or has it been limited by the airframes it is on?

I remember some on hear saying it's been used on hydroplanes and is slated for the Cameron 51 racer, what's the deal, something doesn't seem to add up to me.

Anyone know what the quickest an Allison powered racer has gone? Or a production aircraft.

Re: Allison as a race motor

Well, there are some Allison turbines that go pretty quick. But as for Allison piston, White Lightning is the only one that comes to my mind, or did they put a different engine in it?

Comment

Re: Allison as a race motor

In 1948, Chuck Brown flew Cobra II to a qualification speed of 418 mph at Cleveland. To my knowledge that is the fastest 'closed course' speed ever turned in by an Allison-powered racer.

Comment

Working...
      X