MB-5 replica links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MB-5 replica links

Wayne - do you have a link to any archived articles about this replica. I'm having a discussion with someone about how much of this is scratchbuilt, how much is exisiting parts, and how much is modified from the original.

I spooted a link to an AAFO article, at the Martin Baker site, but it appears to be broken

thanks
    Mike

Re: MB-5 replica links

IIRC, it is ALL new parts. There was nothing of the one originally built left.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
      IIRC, it is ALL new parts. There was nothing of the one originally built left.
      I thought so too, but Wikepdia says he's using P-51 wings and parts fron the carcass that was pulled off the gunnery range. Therein lies that question. My friend say its a Spitfire wing and Mustang fuselage. I told him he was a wanker....

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
        I thought so too, but Wikepdia says he's using P-51 wings and parts fron the carcass that was pulled off the gunnery range. Therein lies that question. My friend say its a Spitfire wing and Mustang fuselage. I told him he was a wanker....
        It's a Mustang wing, mated to a homebuilt fuse. When he had the glass blown, they got it out of spec and it's larger than it should be, giving the "replica" a somewhat strange look.

As for the previous stories that were on here, let's just say that the fellow who took the pictures and submitted them, did not want them shown any longer. That, despite the fact that the camera with which they were taken, was paid for by your's truly..

At any rate.... that's the gist of it..

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          It's a Mustang wing, mated to a homebuilt fuse. When he had the glass blown, they got it out of spec and it's larger than it should be, giving the "replica" a somewhat strange look.

As for the previous stories that were on here, let's just say that the fellow who took the pictures and submitted them, did not want them shown any longer. That, despite the fact that the camera with which they were taken, was paid for by your's truly..

At any rate.... that's the gist of it..

Thanks wayne - Saw the link & byline at the Martin-Baker site...understand your position. Perhaps they might want to take it down.

Comment

It's not a Martin-Baker in any sense, shape or form. As has been said, it's a P-51 wing mated to a new-build fuselage that is a carricature of the original.

I'm sure that a lot of work has gone into it over many years, but does anyone here think it will ever fly, or indeed be safe to?

Comment

The MB-5 replica certainly has some flaws, the sheet metal is not great. It's too bad because John Marlin has always been very nice to Willy and me when we check on his progress each September. I guess it's the same old story: not enough dinero for hiring professional craftsmen. G

Comment

John Marlin is for sure a great Guy ! If the MB 5 will ever fly.......I donīt know, but itīs his destiny and I love when he says : "Iīll race it one day".................I believe him !

Willy

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51
                  It's not a Martin-Baker in any sense, shape or form. As has been said, it's a P-51 wing mated to a new-build fuselage that is a carricature of the original.

I'm sure that a lot of work has gone into it over many years, but does anyone here think it will ever fly, or indeed be safe to?

I don't know, it looks like one to me. It is certainly closer to flying than it was before, and John Marlin used to own a Mustang that he bought, restored and flew for many years. John also owns not only the replica, complete with Mustang wings, landing gear and horizontal tail, but the engine and propeller, radiators and all of the rest of the stuff that makes up the operating airplane that he most assuredly will one day fly.
                  Where is yours?
                  Chris McMillin

Comment

John Marlin is always very cordial to us when we drop by his hangar to view progress on his MB-5 project. He told us that his plans were for Skip Holm to do the flight testing when the plane is ready. DBD

Comment

Working...
                    X