Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT #42 gettin' close!

Relentless Who?

I know this update is way overdue but we are in high gear finishing Race 42 while at the same time finishing Kit 8 to deliver next week.

Imagine the difference between Clark Kent and Superman and you can get an idea of the changes we have incorporated into the Relentless transformation over the past 8 months. New items: landing gear, trim system, wiring, extended motor mount and cowling (just incase I need to slap on a monster 780 in the future), totally new instrument panel, auto pilot (incase I get lost on the unlimited course), improved induction system, heater/defrost, and a few items I am not at liberty to discuss!!! Rushing to complete Race 42 the first time caused many things to receive below standard attention. This time around everything has been reconsiderd and hundreds of items have been improved to be true Sport Class contender.

Still a few months away from flying but the list is getting shorter and my enthusiasm is peakin'. The new "special" Thunderbolt Lycoming tt540 is mounted and will be getting hooked up once the new cowling and improved air box are fitted. Still waiting on Blue Mountain for new E1 but I have everything else to complete Panel and fire it up!

Is it too early in the year to start trash talking about Reno 2007? If you don't plan on bringing everything you have to compete with Relentless this year then keep in the hangar!

We are Relentless!!!!!
    Attached Files
    http://www.kevineldredge.com
    http://www.myairport.com
    sigpic

Re: NXT #42 gettin' close!

Originally posted by Relentless
    Relentless Who?

I know this update is way overdue but we are in high gear finishing Race 42 while at the same time finishing Kit 8 to deliver next week.

Is it too early in the year to start trash talking about Reno 2007? If you don't plan on bringing everything you have to compete with Relentless this year then keep in the hangar!

We are Relentless!!!!!
    Beautiful aircraft, nice web site, great update! Looking forward to seeing it shred the air in September. Wish you great success on finishing up the details!
    Scott Adie
    www.osgfx.com

Comment

Glad to hear Kit # 8 is going out soon. I had hoped maybe more by now, but this is still good. Did one or more of these last 3 kits go to any veteran Sport Class or Unlimited Class racers we know?

How many full-time employees are working at your plant?

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell
        Glad to hear Kit # 8 is going out soon. I had hoped maybe more by now, but this is still good. Did one or more of these last 3 kits go to any veteran Sport Class or Unlimited Class racers we know?

How many full-time employees are working at your plant?
        None of the last three NXT kits went to veteran racers. Kit 6 is being modified by Andy Chivetta for unknown use? Kit 7 is being build with 720 in Panama for distance cruising, and kit 8 will built for Racing by Andy Chivetta for an owner that is very serious about completing.

There are three of us that work at SLO Air full time and a few others join as needed for quick build projects.

We are Relentless!!!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the update. Nice to hear the good news. I can't believe you are already renovating the panel. sheesh.
          _________
          -Matt
          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Rock on Kevin!
            SteadFast

Comment

Glad to hear everything is progressing and the excitement is building!
              Can't wait to See #42 back in the air! I'll have to get by and take a peek!
              "Cover Me... My Gun's Jammed"

Comment

You made my sons day! Your #1 fan has been chompin at the bit for an update. We can't wait for you to win gold in september.
                Tony

Comment

It’s been almost a year to the day since I had to put Relentless in the desert in New Mexico after the engine crank seal blew out and dumped all the oil. You can imagine my enthusiasm when I hit the start button this past week and she came to life! On the 6th I rolled her out to the local tie downs and strapped her to the tarmac! Time to put on the juice!!! I couldn’t put the throttle to full but about 30 inches to check all gages and see if I had in fact tightened every hose; everything looked great.
                  I couldn’t sleep past about 4:30 Saturday morning in anticipation of getting down to the airport, so off I went! I spent all morning putting on the cowling and straightening all the wires and nut plates. After lunch I strapped in and called the tower for clearance for NXT 42-Xray-Tango to 29 for high speed taxi test.
                  After asking for the runway I stopped only for a moment to check I was aligned with the centerline in the taxi camera and gave it about 1/4 throttle. The first thing I noticed is how quickly the tail came up. Moving the engine out 8 inches moved the CG from the back edge of the limit to about 25% from the forward limit. Perfect!
                  Once I could see the runway I came up just enough the feel the turbos start kick in. Not long before I was half way down the runway, pulled the throttle to idle and flew the tail until I was slowed down to about 35 and gently set the tail wheel down and finished braking for the end of the runway.
                  I need to change a few cht probes and figure out why the RPM was not reading but other than that I think I am running out of things to do? I will spend the next week finishing some sanding of the wings and should be ready to take to the sky by next weekend.

Stay Tuned!!! We are Still Relentless!!
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

That is GREAT news!!!!!

I love reading your updates, and I get goose bumps from hearing your excitment!

Good luck getting up and flying this week! I look forward to the next update later this week.

Comment

Thanks so much for the updates. I became a fan of yours just a few years ago when I visited the air races for the first time since I was a kid. It's really cool to hear from the pilots and other experts here on this site and get educated. Looking forward to September!
                      Mike S
                      www.indyairshow.com
                      www.indytransponder.com

Comment

Kevin
                        Congrats, I always enjoy your updates, no bs, no false claims. no marketing gimmicks, just airplane facts.
                        Looks like the vertical surfaces have gotten even bigger during the rebuild. Can't wait for first flight info.
                        Good luck
                        Tom
                        RV3 guy

Comment

Off topic: just out of curiosity, does the NXT design include an electric yaw damper, a-la PA-46?
                          _________
                          -Matt
                          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Kevin, nice to hear your so close to getting her back in the air.

Are you going to repaint her with the same paint scheme, or has this extra time with her given you a new look for her?

Outstanding workmanship.

Congratulations,

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

Kevin, thanks for the updates. It's great news and I wish you the best of luck and great success.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X