• shawn"s archives

Ok i did a lot from my dads here ar4e aome of my archives Shawn
    Attached Files

Re: shawn"s archives

sorry for the typo's here are some more Shawn
    Attached Files

Comment

What's the Mustang that seems to of had a nasty landing?

Thanks for sharing the pics from the past races.

Comment

That was a Bill Speer owned mustang flown by a guy with a last name of Putnam. Be damned that I don't remember the name of the plane right now (it's right there in the frontal lobe and will keep me awake all night) but it was in the mid/late eighties. Plane came in ( Mayday?) east to west with a nasty cross wind. Left wing picked up then settled back down only to pick up again and have the plane flip/cartwheel. It was quite breath taking and was a yee haa moment to see the pilot walk away.

Comment

Georgia Mae and John Putnam, HA!!!!

Comment

36 minutes! Well done, Sir........
            Very interesting pics......Stilletto was SO cool!!
            Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

OMG, when did that happen to Georgia Mae???
              _________
              -Matt
              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Actually, Wiley Sanders owned Georgia Mae, and the accident happened in 1985.

Georgia Mae was the former Jack Sliker-owned Escape 1. Mac McClain had taken ownership and raced it in 1977, and then passed it on as a 'stocker' to Wiley Sanders. After Sanders sold Jeannie in '83, he brought the plane to the '85 Bakersfield race as #69 Coyote, wearing the clipped wingtips off of Jeannie. By Reno that fall, the old Whittington race canopy had been installed and the name changed to Georgia Mae. ( I believe Georgia Mae is Wiley's wife's name, and her nickname is Jeannie)

Following Saturday's Unlimited Silver Race, pilot John Putnam set up for a normal landing on 26 during a hefty crosswind. Just as the tailwheel was starting to settle, a gust caught the plane, lifted the left wing, and the plane cartwheeled off the runway on its right wing, over the nose, and landed on its tail--effectively breaking the plane's back.

Jim Larsen caught the whole thing on film. Pretty impressive shooting. Pretty intense and scary for Putnam too...not much he could do except hang on.

Comment

The series of shots in A?C was great. I've got the beginning of his landing and the end of the crash on video (was my first year filming and I too 6 hours of EVERYTHING) and it is cool to see the canopy roll back and John step out.
                  Sure do miss Stilletto. Was so great that first year she showed up and everyone went "huh?"
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

During my senior year of high school i had John Putnam sister in law as my us history teacher i showed her the pictures that came out in air classic and she asked me if i can brower it well John came down to visit them and she showed him the pictures and arcle and he wroke me a note shawn

Comment

Great Stilleto Pics

Thanks for posting

Comment

Was Skip holm The only pilot to ever fly Race 84?

Mike

Comment

Scoot sherman flew it and Matt Jackson they both raced it Shawn

Comment

Here are a couple more
                            Attached Files

Comment

Gawd I miss the Super Corsair!
                              That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full...

Comment

Working...
                              X