The BoneYard at Davis-Monthan AFB-AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BoneYard at Davis-Monthan AFB-AZ

I was on Google Earth and looking at the AFB and came across the imfamous BoneYard...it's worth the
    time to take a look at it!!! I went to the Davis-Monthan AFB website and could look at the aircraft stored there and then identify them on Google Earth...
    "Cover Me... My Gun's Jammed"

Re: The BoneYard at Davis-Monthan AFB-AZ

I've driven by it a few times, but it is much more impressive on google earth. I didn't realize it was that big.
    That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full...

Comment

Back in the late 60's I was stationed at Davis Monthan. the boneyard was right outside our barracks with a fence around it. NO SECURITY.
      Anyway a couple of us used to hop over the fence and rumage around the airplanes, sit in the cockpits, make airplane noises and maybe smoke a little pot. Word got out that this was happening and all of a sudden this new species of scorpion was discovered that was a thousand times more deadly than the deadliest scorpion known to date. They seemed to lurke in old mothballed bombers. Never went over the fence again.
      True story.
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
        Back in the late 60's I was stationed at Davis Monthan. the boneyard was right outside our barracks with a fence around it. NO SECURITY.
        Anyway a couple of us used to hop over the fence and rumage around the airplanes, sit in the cockpits, make airplane noises and maybe smoke a little pot. Word got out that this was happening and all of a sudden this new species of scorpion was discovered that was a thousand times more deadly than the deadliest scorpion known to date. They seemed to lurke in old mothballed bombers. Never went over the fence again.
        True story.
        Tom
        Everything's more lethal when 'GI smoke dinky-dau'!
        Scott Adie
        www.osgfx.com

Comment

There's still some pretty cool stuff there.

I didn't realize there were THAT many F-4's left. Heck, we could resurrect the Blue Angel AND Thunderbird Heritage Flights easily.....6 Phantoms in the Blues and 5 in the Thunderbirds!

Kind of cool to see the 'long-wing' RB-57's. Lots of "Stoof's" and "Elmer Fudd's" in the corners. I thought most of the A-3 Skywarriors had gone to Raytheon...guess I was wrong on that. Saw a few F-106's in there...and in one of the 'scrap yards', I saw lots of SA-16 Albatross hulks.

I think the saddest thing about 'spying' on the yard like that is to see the B-52's that have been 'displayed' for the treaties with the Russians.

Comment

I'm not sure how old the data is on Google earth...some of it looks about 3 years old....I wonder how often they update the global photos for each section??? Still...pretty cool to visit airports and bases...Poor Man's flying!

Comment

Recently a bid was put out on govliquidation.com for a scrap contract that was in the neigborhood of 100,000 tons of "ironary Alum" from DM. The pictures listed for that contract showed C-141's, Stoofs, F-106's, ect. I wouldn't be surprized if many of what you saw is now gone. The contract also stated that the cut up bits had to be taken to a certain shredder before the alum could be taken away. They didn't want any whole component left intact.
              Sad end for our warriors!
              Rich

Comment

I did a mapquest on the boneyard and things are starting to move around a little but really not too much activity...I think the mapquest aerial photos are only a little over a year old, maybe two at the most.

Comment

Saw a special on the Military channel not to long ago about that boneyard. They mentioned that the B-52's were there for the Russians to see. Also showed a bunch of them getting cut up with giant gillotine's which I guess was also for the russian's satisfaction. I guess they still use that for spare parts for the B-52 since they plan on using it until 2040.
                  That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full...

Comment

I wonder where the Russian boneyard is....that would be interesting to see...

Comment

You suppose in a parrallel universe the military just never scraps anything, and the Reno racers can go anytime and pick from the stores of P-51H's, P-82s, P-63's, F8F's, etc?

Now there's a topic for a Sci_Fi short story on AAFO during our off-season fix needs! Where's Ran Slaten when you really need him?

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell
                        You suppose in a parrallel universe the military just never scraps anything, and the Reno racers can go anytime and pick from the stores of P-51H's, P-82s, P-63's, F8F's, etc?

Now there's a topic for a Sci_Fi short story on AAFO during our off-season fix needs! Where's Ran Slaten when you really need him?

I don't know about you, but I SWEAR that during Sunday's Championship race last year I saw the Phantom........just came in out of nowhere.

Comment

I'll have to hop on the harley and take a ride down that way to see this place in person...but not in the summer heat....and I thought Mojave was exciting to drive by....

Comment

Slightly off topic, but I recently saw the movie "Terminal Velocity". There were several scenes (some great Jimmy Franklin stunts) done in a yard full of Convairs, Neptunes and T-28's in various stages of disrepair and scrap. Looked like the Evergreen Neptune fire bomber in one quick shot.
                            In a hangar behind Jimmy Franklin in oanother scene was a DC-3, B-17. P-40 (with the skull on the nose) and a C-45.
                            Anyone know where these were?
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

The DC-3, B-17 hangar ould have been Pinal Air Park, Marana AZ, which is operated by Evergreen Inc.
                              I worked there for about 4 months and actually lived on base for about a month. The place has quite a history.
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X