Tri gear vs tail draggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tri gear vs tail draggers

For a race aircraft whats the pros and cons of the either? Is the weight difference of the nose gear the main issue or cg balance?

Heard on here that one of the unlimited contenders being built (shockwave?) has tricycle gear, almost all of the unlimiteds are tail draggers and in the sports class there is more of an even mix, with the fastest (TM/Nxt/Lancairs) aircraft being of either landing arrangement.

From what I could see the fastest tricycle gear racers have been the P-38, Tigercat, airacobra/kingcobra and Lancairs (am I missing any others?). The Donier Do 335 was tri gear and was one of the quickest piston aircraft built.

Has any other tricycle gear piston approached it's performance?

Re: Tri gear vs tail draggers

Z

Have you been to Reno or Tanuca, etc.

if no.....you gotta go

BMarsh

Comment

Re: Tri gear vs tail draggers

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
      Z

Have you been to Reno or Tanuca, etc.

if no.....you gotta go

BMarsh

No, I haven't been but would love to. Reason is that I live on the other side of the world (australia), one day I will defenitly have to make the pilgriamge over there to see the action for myself. Untill then I'll have to be content with hearing all the news, photos and videos on here.

When I was young I was at an airshow that had an air race. A very short oval course where the aircraft ran two to a race. I did get to see a Spitfire in a race, so am very fortuante to see that. Also a Sea Fury, Fiat G59, Mustangs and the airforce flew a Aermacchi Mb 326 on the course by itself. Everyone kept the altitude up a bit, but I got to see some intersting aircraft race , even a jet, and I guess it gave me the "bug".

Comment

Working...
      X