Traffic at Stead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic at Stead

This is my first time at Reno (I can't wait!). I'm only there Saturday & Sunday. With the first action at 8AM, when should I leave downtown Reno to have a chance of getting to the stands to see the first race?? Is traffic going in a nightmare?? Thanks!

Re: Traffic at Stead

Originally posted by drmull
    This is my first time at Reno (I can't wait!). I'm only there Saturday & Sunday. With the first action at 8AM, when should I leave downtown Reno to have a chance of getting to the stands to see the first race?? Is traffic going in a nightmare?? Thanks!
    I've been staying at the field for the last few years but traffic is pretty thick from what I remember. It is also handled better than at any other large event I've ever attended, so much so that organizers from other events conference with the Reno Police in order to learn how they do it.

I'd plan on leaving a couple hours early if you'd like to get a good parking space and seat (assuming you're general admission)

Besides, being there reeeaaalllly early will net you some early AM engine runs..

And the usual bust the field up runs by Strega and others that happen as the AM wake up call..

Being out at Stead really early has some great benefits.

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks very much!!

Thanks, Wayne. I'm taking my 74-year old dad with me, so we're in the handicapped lot and do have reserved seats. I can picture getting out of the rent car and hearing a Merlin screaming by- makes my heart race. As a matter of fact, I'm not ashamed to say that sound has brought tears to my eyes in the past-

Comment

thanks again

We'll try to get there early. I notice sunrise is about 6:40. I think this will work- no McDonald's!!

Comment

If your not too burned out when the day is done, sticking around until the crowd is gone can be wonderful too. The pits on Saturday evening are a gas as the strain is either over for the crews or kicking into high gear.
          I missed the last couple of Saturdays but the tug races were the highlight of my weekend...
          I've stayed just outside the gate in various lots for many years on purpose, indifferent to my families pleas to go to the KOA or into town. The reason? Those late evening test flights and photo runs. Nothing better than kicking back with a beverage, a cigar and the glasses to watch the show.
          O.K., I'm drooling now.
          Have fun however you go!
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Not to mention the mixed "formations" of aircraft that somehow get together in the evenings. Not unusual to see a couple of T6's on a WWII bomber's wings, or a modern military jet pacing on one of the unlimited's.

Ahhh, and nothing beats a Merlin at full song at sunrise.

I feel sorry for those "poor" folks that have to stay in town.

See you at Stead.

Comment

seeya

I'll be there, spot x-10, Soroptimists RV lot. The countdown has started, the tickets are bought and neither wife, client, boss, rain, sleet, snow, earthquake, money or mechanical breakdown can keep me away!
              I even have the cigars and beverages ready....
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Can ya feel the excitement growin!

Gotta love this week!!

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                X