X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• archave photo b-26 drag racing at Mojave

this photo was taking in 1979 at the Mojave races Shawn
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Shawn Aro; 02-20-2011, 06:25 PM.

Re: archave photo b-26 drag racing at Mojave

Dwight Reimer in #26 "Cotton Jenny" (which he also raced the following year at Reno), and Wally McDonnell in #4 Mojave Kid.

The concept of the Unlimited Drags at Mojave was certainly a cool one. The problem was, there wasn't enough prize money for anyone to really push it, so I don't remember many of them that were really close.

Still a neat 'out of the box' idea.

Comment

On the A-26 with the tip tanks. Was that an executive conversion or were the tanks added for distance racing?
      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky
        On the A-26 with the tip tanks. Was that an executive conversion or were the tanks added for distance racing?
        No, one of Wally McDonnell's B-26K Counter Invaders. Now sitting in the museum at Wright-Patterson AFB.

T J

Comment

here is an other from the drag races Shawn
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
            here is an other from the drag races Shawn

The ONLY time that Bob Hoover ever raced as a participant. I think he did a couple of drags at Mojave...both in '78 and '79.

Comment

Never heard of this before, can anyone explain exactly how the drag races at Mojave were run? format, distance, etc.....

Comment

I think they were 'voluntary' as far as participation, but they had something like 8 unlimiteds, stacked just like you would have a 'car' drag race, and match up 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, & 4-5 on qualification speeds.

The two planes (#1 and #8 qualifier, for example) would line up side-by-side on the runway. They would get a green flag at 30 seconds to run up their engines. At the drop of the flag, the race would start. Both planes making a 'race-horse' start like the bipes and F-1's do. The trick was to get the gear up fast and get 'clean' as fast as you could, then fly ONE lap around the Mojave course (from take-off) to the checkered flag.

As I recall, they ran the elimination heats on Saturday, and then the finals on Sunday....so the winners faced the winners, and losers faced the losers.

I am trying to remember, but I think Ken Burnstine was the 'drag' champ in '73 in Miss Suzy Q, Jack Sliker won with Escape II in '74. In later years, I think Howie Keefe was champ one year, and then John Putman in Cuichetton was in '79. Not positive on any of these, though.

Mojave also had T-6 drags in similar fashion.

These 'drag' races were run in addition to the regular Silver and Gold heats/races. So you can see why not a lot of pilots really pushed it during the drags. Why ruin your engine on a one lap speed sprint that didn't pay much, when you still had a race to run in the afternoon?

Was fun to watch, though.

Comment

Speeddemon, thanks for the reply! Sounds interesting, I wish I could have seen the "drags" myself. In fact, I wish I could have witnessed any of the races at Mojave, but since my first Reno wasn't until 1979, by the time I was hooked I think the Mojave races were defunct.

Does anyone know of a good history written about the Mojave races? I have the John Tegler "Gentlemen You Have a Race" book about Reno's first twenty years, but I've never seen any kind of history of Mojave. Did the races draw crowds anywhere near what Reno did during the same time period (1970s)? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by KB Adkins
                    Does anyone know of a good history written about the Mojave races? I have the John Tegler "Gentlemen You Have a Race" book about Reno's first twenty years, but I've never seen any kind of history of Mojave. Did the races draw crowds anywhere near what Reno did during the same time period (1970s)? Thanks.
                    Funny you should mention that. I'm on very intimate terms with someone who may just have such a project in the works......

Comment

Don't forget about the drag race between Fred Wofford in F-1 #9 "Proud Bird" and Cal Worthington and his dog "Spot" (T-6 #11).

Comment

Originally posted by Tosg
                        Don't forget about the drag race between Fred Wofford in F-1 #9 "Proud Bird" and Cal Worthington and his dog "Spot" (T-6 #11).

True. Cal Worthington....world famous 'discount' car dealer (Hey, Worthington Ford in Federal Way, open for business every day. ITS CAL WORTHINGTON AND HIS DOG SPOT!!!......if you wanna make a deal, go see Cal...if you wanna make a deal, go see Cal....I will stand upon my head until my face turns red, go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal....we'll see ya' here!) who once filmed a tv commercial standing atop Joe Hughes Super Stearman in the spot usually reserved for Johnny Kazian and Gordie McCallum, also flew Jim Modes' T-6 "Come' on 11" (painted in the German markings of the Condor Squadron) in the drag races and I think at least one of the T-6 heat races at the 1975 Mojave event.

They had the name "SPOT" taped on the side of the plane in big white letters. As I recall, he actually did pretty well.

Comment

great pics!

All very cool

Comment

Cal used to fly sailplanes out of Vacaville during the late 80's. We did a lot of hanger flying on those foggy Saturday mornings. His TV personna notwithstanding, he was a pretty cool guy to sit and talk with over a cup of coffee.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                            X