cockpit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cockpit question

ok i have noticed a few of the race planes have moved the cockpit back towards the tail. im not sure, i think most of these where 2 seat conversions.maybe some were not
    i was wondering what is the benefit if any to moving the cockpit back?
    why not use the forward seat (on a 2 seat config)
    i know critical mass was a 2 seater, i belive Tsunami was also
    www.renosection3.com

Re: cockpit question

for what its worth
    Critical Mass is being convered back to a two seater but Tsumani was designed and built from the ground up as as a race plane.
    blacksheep
    Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Comment

Originally posted by Section3guy
      i was wondering what is the benefit if any to moving the cockpit back?
      I don't know any of the techno reasons but, visually, it's just plain cool looking!

In my eye, Critical Mass is the best looking air racer EVER, bar none... and this includes MAII and a few other REALLY good looking racers.

CM just looked mean, fast, orney.... it looked like an air racer!

I understand the "why" and I love the Dwelles and everyone on the team but I'm sure gonna miss that "look"... She was a racer, period!

Wayner
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

In the case of Tsunami it was to balance the cg. Not so much that haveing the cockpit aft means an aft cg but that all the fluids carried is a substantial amount of weight. Carrying it over the wing and the cg point means that additional weight in ballast isn't needed to off set it.
        With Tsunami, when it was built some changes in the later stages of its design left it with a extreme aft cg. It's 1st reno it had lead weights strapped to the engine mounts with hose clamps along with a special weight attached to the front of the prop. Later the wing was moved aft along with other changes.
        Rich
        Happy New Year

Comment

The two Mustangs that have had their cockpits moved 'aft' are Stiletto and the griffon-powered Precious Metal.

On Stiletto, it was moved aft to offset the weight and balance shift from removing the radiator out of the fuselage, and putting it into the wing.

On Precious Metal, it was moved to offset the heavier Griffon engine being mounted up front.

In both cases, the seat and instrument panel was moved back approximately 3 feet--about to where the jump seat in a civilian Mustang is mounted (note: NOT where the rear seat on a TF-51 is). Both racers most likely would have benefitted from moving the cockpits even farther aft, but the builders were limited by the length of the 'stock' control rod for the stick...or so told to me by the late Dave Z.

Comment

Working...
          X