Mosquito's ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosquito's ??

I remember seeing a pick from the post war races and there was a Mosquito racer........don't remember if it was a cross country racer or closed course. Anyone know how many are still in the US or the world.......and how many are flyable. I've never seen one close up let alone fly, sure would like to. Any projects underway in the world? Thanks for the info, and Merry Christmas to everyone too.
    Brian

Re: Mosquito's ??

None still flying, not since the UK's example crashed in July 1996, Kermit Weeks' one hasn't flown since about that time.

Jerry Yagen is having what is effectively a new-build using some existing metalwork done in New Zealand, Bob Jens is restoring one in Canada, Paul Allen has one stored in the UK which will probably go to New Zealand to be done.

Lists of survivors can be found here......

This site tracks the history of all De Havilland Mosquitos that survived military service.

......and here

Locations of the surviving de Havilland Mosquito airframes worldwide

Comment

Here's an excellent clip:

There's a real tease here. The scene where the Mossie is inbound straight & level and the clip cuts just as you're ready for the doppler change as the A/C passes -- aarghhhhh! This inbound clip gives me goose bumps, particularly when you consider the historic account of a pair of Mossies running Hermann Goering off the podium in Berlin mid-speech in the early war years with a low-level pass!
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

A great piece of film by Steve Connor from North Weald 1996 there, Peashooter. Sadly, it was only a couple of weeks later that engine problems in a steep wingover caused the Mossie to spin in at Barton (Manchester), killing both the crew.

Comment

Details on Jerry Yagen's Mossie restoration in NZ...

Beautiful work!

Comment

There is a Mossie wing and two firewall forwards at Chino in outside storage. The engines are single stage. Anyone know who's it is?
            Chris...

Comment

I believe that this is the ex-Jim Merizan airframe PZ474, possibly now owned by the Swedish AF Museum.

Comment

Working...
              X