Another one leaves the country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one leaves the country

EX. Robert Converse, Huntress III Mustang has recently sold to a group of German owners and is due to arrive in Europe in January 2007...
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Re: Another one leaves the country

Even worse, in my opinion anyway, the rumour mill is reporting that Robert Waltrip's A-20 has been sold and is going down under. That's one I'd really like to see stay Stateside.

Comment

I used to worry a lot about this stuff, But in the last couple of years I realized that just because these planes were for the most part made here. It was a World War and nations all over the globe have ties to these airplanes.

I am also into Muscle Cars, Because of that I have in the last couple of years made some very good friends around the world because of parts trades etcetera. One of my closest of these friends doesn't even come to the states anymore without a trip to town to visit myself and my family, usually for just a few hours then he is off to conduct business. The point is after many conversations I finally realized how much more of a passion someone from another country has to have to own a Muscle Car or Warbird. The parts supplies are still for the most part here in this country, even though the UK takes really good care of business on that end both with planes and cars.

So you have to ask yourself, If they have a greater passion for the airplane isn't it possibly going to a better home? I mean we really have a lot of Mustangs here in this country. (P-51s I'm back on airplanes now) I have even talked with quite a few people on this board who have commented that they went to an airshow on more than one occasion where they never even made it over to see who's Mustangs were there. So that being said I believe that we don't realize how spoiled we are to know that "oh, yeah I'll see a Mustangs, Sea Furies, maybe a Tigercat fly in September if I miss that one now."

Years ago at the Dallas "Texas Air Race" there was a Tigercat there, Many of the guys crewing at that race had never seen a restored Tigercat (myself included) It sat static for the duration of the race and many walked down to see it up close. But on Monday when it was time to load things up to go home the Tigercat started up and taxied out. A mass of people went to the edge of the runway, acting like school boys after their first kiss, there was true excitement in the air the Tigercat was going to fly! we went and watched as it took off, we studied the landing gear as they went for home, we prayed that the pilot would give us a pass, we listened quietly as the two Pratt and Whitneys roared off into the distance like the end of a concert from an orchestra. we walked back and talked about what we had seen, thrilled. Now Mike Brown brings to Reno what is arguably the nicest Tigercat running, and one of the most impressive fighter to have flown in recent memory. Do we run to the ramp edge every time it flies? Probably not many of us, sadly I know I don't. So the Huntress will go where people will be thrilled to see her, that wonderful A-20 will go down under where a lot of them fought by the way, and be appreciated maybe more than they are here. The owners have to really jump through hoops to have them there. I am glad it's not just our club.
      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
        .....Do we run to the ramp edge every time it (Mike Brown's Tigercat) flies?....

<raises hand...> Guilty. There's just something about that big 'cat that makes my knees knock.

I'm just glad that more people all around the world want to own and preserve the old iron. That means more Dollars/Euros/Yen/(your demonitation here) going to warbird restorations and proper maintenance of existing flyable aircraft.

I hate to see them leave the country, but if that's where the person with the money and desire to keep it properly maintained and flying resides, so be it. Just keep the bird in good shape, and fly it occasionally where lots of aviation-loving people can see it is all I ask.

Comment

Just to add another .02. If you ever lurk around the Flypast warbird message board, you would realize just how many warbirds have crossed from "their" side to ours. They are always on and on about such and such restoration that is headed over here from Europe. I think it is a pretty even flow right now.

Comment

As is often the case with these aircraft, they move on to a new home, then move on again some years later. Tom Blair has bought a couple of Spitfires, a Hurricane and a Buchon in the UK recently, several, if not all, will move to Florida.

TFC's Duxford-based Tigercat is returning to the US, their P-47, Jungmeister, two Bearcats (one a project, now flying in the US) and 2 Spitfires are already here.

Such free trade in warbirds benefits everybody. I've been lucky enough to see the same aircraft both sides of the Atlantic on many occasions, such as the former TFC Spitfires at Chino, Dave Gilmour's old P-51 now with Terry Tarditi in CA, both the former TFC Bearcats, B-17 Thunderbird, Robs Lamplough's Sea Fury (now September Fury), the list goes on..........

As long as the custodian flies and appreciates them, I don't mind where they go.

Comment

I have no problem with warbirds freely flowing back and forth across the pond, it's just that the A-20 is such a rarity and one that I've not had the pleasure of seeing. Wherever it ends up, I hope it gets put back into a more authentic condition and flown regularly.

Comment

I mostly agree with John Slack- let them go where they're appreciated and will get cared for. And for exactly the same reason- my involvement with the global Muscle Car community, and seeing how much folks from Sweden to Australia appreciate American cars- in many cases moreso than people here who have bought into the whole "American cars from the 50s and 60s were primitive" myth.

BUT- in some cases its tough if there are personal memories involved. I'm having a tough time with the thought of White Lightnin' leaving the US. If it were any other P-38, it wouldn't bother me. But my memories of WL go back to standing slack-jawed watching Lefty fly it when I was 12. I have no similar memories involving 'Glacier Girl' or any of the others.

Comment

Well, I can easily understand, that most of you donīt like to see
                  warbirds leave the states. But John already wrote, whatīs my
                  opinion too.

Be aware that there is not one P-51 flying in Germany right now
                  and that the only flying P-47 in whole Europe I am aware of just
                  went to the US this year.

Easy to understand, that I come to Reno every year, he ?
                  (Which sums up to over 200.000 km of Air-Race-related
                  traveling so far - and my wife can add another 6digit amount)

Jan
                  Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

Working...
                  X