PDA

View Full Version : No Thunderbirds for Reno 2007?

Mike51
12-05-2006, 11:00 AM
I see from the schedule for 2007 that the Thunderbirds are scheduled to be in Hawaii on September 15th next year. The Blue Angels are at NAS Brunswick the same weekend.

I've not seen the 2007 schedule for the Snowbirds yet, so don't know if they'll be at Reno.

http://www.schultzairshows.com/

Mike51
12-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Snowbirds schedule now up, and showing Reno for Sep 14-16.

SpinB
12-05-2006, 08:09 PM
I agree with Dasher! Those guys can do the COOLEST stuff with gut-less T-tailed Tweets!! OK..OK, CT-114 Tudors! I'm an American, what can I say..... :D They DO HAVE skills.....smoke oil skills, 9-ship-skills, language skills.....

Air Race Addict
12-05-2006, 08:11 PM
YEAH!
I think that's "EH?" :D :rolleyes:

tim
12-05-2006, 11:59 PM
The whole Canadian Air Force comming down for the races, eh?

mayday51
12-06-2006, 02:07 AM
........"don't call me hosehead in church"

Jim58
12-06-2006, 04:55 AM
Yeah...... but they do know how to ......."TAKE OFF"

FlyKidChris
12-06-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm thrilled to see that the Snowbirds are coming to Reno again. I enjoy their diamond formation, especially.
I've always been treated well in Canada and I try to return that hospitality to any Canadian whenever they're in the U.S.A.

warbirdnerd
12-06-2006, 12:34 PM

Ok eh, where do you want to go after church?....

MustangFan
12-06-2006, 12:38 PM

"On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....a beer" :D

fenceliner01
12-06-2006, 06:06 PM
This is very good news. Coming from a 30 year Air Guard Guy, the Thunderbirds just don't do it for me. Too small, too fast, and the paint scheme blends into the sky better than any camouflage I've seen. Besides, who else could you imagine would come into the pits and have a beer?

Now if we could only get the Red Arrows. or the Frecce Tricolori to do a North American Tour...

Sky Critter
12-07-2006, 07:33 PM
I think it's great news! Take off...eh, uh.... do your stuff eh...and then land....ok hoser?

Jim58
12-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Hey Hoser,

We gotta get some Beer and Donuts...eh

it's almost time for the 12 days of christmas.......

How did that go ????????? :D :beerchug:

Sky Critter
12-07-2006, 08:30 PM
"Good day and welcome to day twelve!"

8 Comic books
7 Packs of smokes
6 Pack of two-four
5 Golden touques
4 Pounds of backbacon
3 French toast
2 Turtlenecks
and a BEER in a tree!

There was some mention of donuts after the eighth day :thumbsup:

SpinB
12-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Why is Geddy Lee in my brain singin'...'take off, to the great white north, take off, it's a beauty way to go...'?

mayday51
12-08-2006, 02:57 AM
"Good day and welcome to day twelve!"

8 Comic books
7 Packs of smokes
6 Pack of two-four
5 Golden touques
4 Pounds of backbacon
3 French toast
2 Turtlenecks
and a BEER in a tree!

There was some mention of donuts after the eighth day :thumbsup:

6 pack of "Tuborg"

(read as: cheep beer)

warbirdnerd
12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Why is Geddy Lee in my brain singin'...'take off, to the great white north, take off, it's a beauty way to go...'?
Cause, like 10 bucks is 10 bucks eh!

mayday51
12-08-2006, 06:15 PM
.....what a bunch o hosers eh.

Jim58
12-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Eh ...take off you nob! ;)

Apteryx
12-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Anybody know the status of the campaign to upgrade the Snowbirds to a newer aircraft?
Also curious as to what the new aircraft might be... :dunno:
Paul

fenceliner01
12-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Pitts Special?

No Dasher, he said upgrade... :p :D

dineega
12-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Latest news up here is that they are talking to the Swiss about leasing 18 Hawk Trainers.

http://www.arinc.com/news/2006/11-07b-06.html

Of course we also hear they will be flying the Tutors til 2020, so who knows??
Rachel

thunderstangfan
12-09-2006, 11:36 AM
the only high speed passes i want to see is from a piston pounder!
the thunderbirds could never shop up at reno again and i would be just fine!

AirDOGGe
12-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Now if we could only get the Red Arrows. or the Frecce Tricolori to do a North American Tour...

I saw Frecce Tricolori in 1984 in the S.F. Bay Area. They did a really good show, but the Blues are more exciting, eh?...I'll take afterburners over colored smoke any day. :thumbsup: Isn't it about time for them to return to Reno?

P.S...."The 12 days of Xmas" by Bob and Doug Mackenzie, complete with flash animation for you hoseheads:

http://aetherealforge.com/~aeon/humor/12daysBandD1.swf

Shawn Aro
12-09-2006, 10:56 PM
I was at that show too they had a luftwaffe F104 team there too Shawn :cool:

Mike51
12-10-2006, 10:24 AM
I was at that show too they had a luftwaffe F104 team there too Shawn :cool:
German Navy actually. That's a bit like calling the Blue Angels 'USAF'!

fenceliner01
12-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Whew... leastwasn't me. ;)
just have to "recce" the situation to know wht you can get away with

BellCobraIV
12-12-2006, 03:49 PM
grrrr

Relax Dasher, The best way to upgrade a Pitts is to get a Pitts with two seats so you can take your friends, or not. Grrrr is just not a sound you like to hear while an engine is running.

fenceliner01
12-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Relax Dasher, The best way to upgrade a Pitts is to get a Pitts with two seats so you can take your friends, or not. Grrrr is just not a sound you like to hear while an engine is running.
Hey, I know where there's a two seat Zlin for sale...

BellCobraIV
12-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Hey, I know where there's a two seat Zlin for sale...

Pitts is easier to say. I think in casual conversation if you tell someone you have a Zlin they will avoid you for fear of catching it. When you tell someone you have a Pitts they understand, Oh Pitts, money pit, correlation.

speeddemon
12-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Pitts is easier to say. I think in casual conversation if you tell someone you have a Zlin they will avoid you for fear of catching it. When you tell someone you have a Pitts they understand, Oh Pitts, money pit, correlation.

I agree, John.....it's like asking a stranger if they'd like to shag your balls while you practice with your fungo. They just take a step or two back....

fenceliner01
12-13-2006, 11:42 AM
I agree, John.....it's like asking a stranger if they'd like to shag your balls while you practice with your fungo. They just take a step or two back....

funny you should put it that way....Zlin owners are kinda quirky about that.

stuntflyr
12-13-2006, 11:48 AM

John,
Funny the "money pit" reference to the Pitts, especially after your long association with the Bearcat!
Chris...

jarrodeu
12-13-2006, 12:32 PM
You say this as though you have asked a stranger this.

Jarrod

BellCobraIV
12-13-2006, 12:33 PM
John,
Funny the "money pit" reference to the Pitts, especially after your long association with the Bearcat!
Chris...

Chris,
Good to hear from you, A Bearcat is not a money pit, it is the Black hole of Calcutta! The "money pit" reference is just a joke really, That is the airplane that Lyle still has. But when you meet guys and "Bright young energetic, and intelligent women" that fly airplanes that have not been culture shocked by the expense of feeding a "Money devouring black hole" like a Bearcat, then they can relate to a Pitts as a money pit. So the "money pit" is the lesser of the evils and a heck of lot more fun as far as I'm concerned. I went up in the Pitts not long after Lyle bought it and have to say that for the bang for your buck experience it was the most fun for the least hassle. But pretty unforgiving when getting close to making it walk around on it's wheels again, in fact I just rode through that part. I think it likes flying better than taxiing. LOL

stuntflyr
12-13-2006, 01:00 PM
John,

True enough about ANY airplane being expensive.

If a guy has to have one airplane, the Pitts is a good one. Mine is a single seater, but an S-2 is a fine ride.

I guess you've started to notice these old guys of ours slowing down. Dad has a Stinson(!), and he won't work on his cars (to busy taking Mom to lunch). Both the Jag and 308 won't run! I just realized we are now about 15 years older than our parents were when we first met, yikes!

Chris...

speeddemon
12-13-2006, 01:13 PM
You know, I had never considered that....but perhaps Lyle should consider entering the Pitts in the Bipe class for 2007!

BellCobraIV
12-13-2006, 01:49 PM
You know, I had never considered that....but perhaps Lyle should consider entering the Pitts in the Bipe class for 2007!

Brad,
Bad Brad! Bad Brad! Go to the corner, just what we need another farging race plane! Bad Brad!

speeddemon
12-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Lyle's Pitts is a two-seater.

Biplane racers are single seaters.

...just saying....

Yes, perhaps for the cute, petite pilots like you. :-)

Lyle's plane is probably JUST big enough for a guy like me to fit in and race. In fact, Hacker and I were kicking around the thought of doing just that a few years ago.

The thought of me or him trying to fit in a single hole Pitts? It'd be like a monkey trying to ride a football. Or even better...the thought of Goss trying to fit into his Shoestring racer!

BellCobraIV
12-13-2006, 02:41 PM

...just saying....

Dasher, You saw what we did with the Bearcat! we could sure as heck chop out a seat and make kryptonite coated, titanium plated, helium filled, carbon fiber, nuclear cover for the hole, invent some wingtip shape from the likes of planet xenon 9, fill the fuselage tubing with nitrous oxide, totally strutless wing carry through, then he wouldn't have fun with that one either anymore! Or maybe we could all bring our tools and crew for someone more petit? Give us fifteen minutes, a few unlimited mechanics can make the Bipe class overcomplicated also.

1. Definition of a Sport Biplane.
A Sport Biplane shall have two wings, the lower of the two having approximately 50% of the required wing area.

The top wing shall be cabane or pylon mounted, sufficiently above the fuselage to identify it as a top wing.

Let's define sufficiently, shall we?

The
aircraft shall have a horizontal stabilizer and rudder, both of which shall be mounted on the empennage aft of the trailing edge of the rearmost wing. The horizontal stabilizer must be of fixed incidence.

The aircraft must be of single occupancy design.

Is that original design or after some twisted monkeys with torches got to it?

In determining eligibility for competition in the Sport Biplane class, due consideration
will be given to the aircraft's adherence to a classic Sport Biplane configuration and appearance

Another big area of loop holes;

6. Landing Gear

1. Landing gear must be non-retractable.
Non retractable, but are you disqualified if they fall off after the take-off and you land on your belly skid?

2. Tires must be 5.00 x 4 or larger and must be of aircraft quality. At least two wheels of the specified type and size must be used. The third wheel may be of any size but not retractable.

Inline gear allowed?

3. Brakes are compulsory. A steerable or castor type tail wheel is mandatory.

awwww, finally something concrete but if the tailwheel diameter is less than 3/8 inch is that a problem. Belly skid brake system.

jarrodeu
12-13-2006, 02:53 PM

...just saying....
Don't they go about the same speed? :D

Jarrod

BellCobraIV
12-13-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm waiting for my Grrrrrr! I earned it. :dunno:

4. No additives, including nitrous oxide may be used.

Oh yeah dumb rule. bad bad rule, Is Nitro Methane an additive or fuel life preservative.

BellCobraIV
12-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Dasher,
uh, um, where do you park your plane? um, just cuz we've been reading these rules and came up with some idears.

fenceliner01
12-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Who's picking on you? "Bright, energetic intelligent young girl"? "Petite"?

Au Contraire! We sing your praises!

Chivalrious, manly virtues are not dead on this thread.

Until you buy a Zlin

stuntflyr
12-13-2006, 03:47 PM
During years where there weren't very many girls flying bone stock S-1's in the biplane class, the field was often a couple short. Then S-1T's and S-2A's (both have angle valve 360's with constant speed props) were allowed as fill-in's.
Then some chick got Stubbs and Brown allowed the S-1T's if they had a fixed pitch prop.
Then they gave all of the girls single digit race numbers that were never available before...but...er, I digress.

In years where there aren't enough airplanes to fill the field, S-2's are allowed, but it'd be a stretch to allow an S-2B. It'd sure be fun to have Lyle as a PRS instructor in his S2B, though.

Chris...

Apteryx
12-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Or maybe we could all bring our tools and crew for someone more petit?
Be careful of what you offer. Just sign here :deal:

AAFO_WSagar
12-13-2006, 09:15 PM
I'll get the crisco you get the shoe horn?
:lol4:

Hey.... John, how bout we close up the front cockpit, make a custom canopy, petition Tom Dwelle to let us use the paint scheme and we make a twin winger Critical Mass x2????

:thumbsup:

Works for me!!!!!

:dunno:
PS.. artist conceptions welcome!!!!!!!!!

RandyGoss75
12-13-2006, 11:19 PM
I'll tell you....If I wasn't fat and bald, these fat and bald jokes would be getting old......hehehe :D

If need be, I will just scale up the Shoestring to 150% scale..... ;)

"G-string & half"

Apteryx
12-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Hey Randy, did you try on the Titch for size? :eek:

Paul

BellCobraIV
12-14-2006, 06:35 AM
Not sure where you're getting this "Single Digit Race #s" stuff. I was given a list of #s that were available and I took the one that I wanted. I don't believe it had anything to do with my cleavage or XX Chromosomes.

Cleavage and XX Chromosomes, Sorry Chris this is the combination it takes to get numbers in the mid 30's to mid 40's and once the numbers get too big you don't fit well.

speeddemon
12-14-2006, 07:00 AM
I don't believe it had anything to do with my cleavage.

Come on, Dash....at least let us dream a bit! :D

speeddemon
12-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Well, maybe it had something to do with my unusual fan base.

http://209.85.48.10/6654/22/emo/dasherr.gif

This is true....you ARE starting to build your own unique cheering section!

mayday51
12-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Unique is good.

....my lawer still cautions about stalking.

stuntflyr
12-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Taking your comments one at a time..
The only time an S2A "raced" at Reno was in 2000 to fill the field. Denny Brown flew his and was "Moved to last place money and trophy as per class rules" because he was just filling the field - as per class rules...

S1Ts were allowed around the same time - as long as they used fixed props AND as long as the engines are stock.

Not sure where you're getting this "Single Digit Race #s" stuff. I was given a list of #s that were available and I took the one that I wanted. I don't believe it had anything to do with my cleavage or XX Chromosomes.

I see that you did race two years in your S1C. Been a while.

My previous is an accurate portrayal.
It's hard to understand what you don't understand.
I raced a C in '98 and a D in '99, same race number. I don't intend to return to biplane racing, thanks.
Chris...

stuntflyr
12-16-2006, 12:53 AM
You may deny the truth, but you cannot invalidate it.
:cool:
Chris...

fenceliner01
12-16-2006, 03:59 PM
During years where there weren't very many girls flying bone stock S-1's in the biplane class, the field was often a couple short. Then S-1T's and S-2A's (both have angle valve 360's with constant speed props) were allowed as fill-in's.
Then some chick got Stubbs and Brown allowed the S-1T's if they had a fixed pitch prop.
Then they gave all of the girls single digit race numbers that were never available before...but...er, I digress.

In years where there aren't enough airplanes to fill the field, S-2's are allowed, but it'd be a stretch to allow an S-2B. It'd sure be fun to have Lyle as a PRS instructor in his S2B, though.

Chris...

What's your point here?

mayday51
12-17-2006, 01:26 AM
Would you like some cheese with that?

He thinks He is a macho man,
when in reality it appears that the cheesier version,
"Nacho man" may fit better.

...no target,just blind sniping (tic)

stuntflyr
12-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Justa little history.