AOL Email Addresses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOL Email Addresses?

Hey... all you guys with AOL email addys... write AOL and tell em that you WANT email from this site..

Apparantly, they think the message notifications from the board are SPAMM and are rejecting them...

Unfortunately, you don't get your post notifications and I get my in box filled with the bounces...

PLEASE!!!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: AOL Email Addresses?

Wayne, as an AOL user myself, there was an easy fix, at least for me. When I noticed an AAFO email in my spam folder, I clicked the button at the bottom of my AOL box that says "This is not spam". I had to do it about 3-4 times, but now I get my AAFO notifications in my regualr box with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
      Wayne, as an AOL user myself, there was an easy fix, at least for me. When I noticed an AAFO email in my spam folder, I clicked the button at the bottom of my AOL box that says "This is not spam". I had to do it about 3-4 times, but now I get my AAFO notifications in my regualr box with no problem.
      Wish everyone would do that!!

Right now, every time there's a post, I get about three or four bounces from AOL..

Not sure why they just assume that stuff from here is spam. Probably because it's a form mailer thing..

Anyway... hopefully, everyone will do this!

Thanks!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well if that don't beat it.. Just got a bounce for your email addy... Seems AOL is bouncing EVERY email from this site...

WTF?

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm not even seeing them in my spam folder???
          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Hmm...well it WAS working....damn AOL.

Comment

Ok, I just contacted AOL tech support and they sent me the following. The key seems to be adding the submit@aafo.com address that this forum sends mail from to your AOL address book as a freind, NOT as auot-added. You'll see what I mean when you edit your address book entry. That is SUPPOSED to circumvent any spam filters. I just changed mine, so keep an eye on my EMAIL Wayne and see if a reply to this thread bounces. I did receive a notification on another thread reply just now, and it went straight to my regular mail folder.

Here is the AOL response:

Dear Jason,

I understand from you that you are having difficulties receiving e-mail sent from specific senders on the AOL© service.

There are several possible causes for this, such as your current Mail Controls or the Spam Folder catching legitimate e-mail. After trying each solution below, check to see if it resolved your issue. If it did not, please try the next solution listed. I recommend you save or print a copy of this e-mail for future reference.

A. CHECK THE MAIL CONTROLS
              Please verify that the Mail Controls are not blocking the sender's screen name, e-mail address or domain.

NOTE: You need to be signed on to a master screen name or a screen name on a General Access category to adjust the Mail Controls. A master screen name is the first screen name you created for this account and any screen name you have assigned master screen name status at AOL© Keyword: Names.

1. Go to AOL Keyword: Spam Controls.
              2. Click the CONTROLS FOR: drop-down menu to open it, choose the screen name that you wish to adjust from the list, then click it. For screen names on a General Access category, you can only adjust the Mail Controls for that name itself.
              3. Next to SENDER FILTER, click the EDIT link.
              4. Click the USE A CUSTOM SENDER LIST link.
              5. Select the screen name, e-mail address, or domain names that you would like to unblock on the list of e-mail addresses you have blocked, then click the REMOVE button.
              6. Click the SAVE button.
              7. Click the SAVE button
              8. Click the SAVE button.

B. CHECK THE SPAM FOLDER
              Check your Spam Folder to ensure your spam filters have not caught any mail incorrectly.

1. Go to AOL Keyword: Spam Folder.
              2. If you see any e-mail that came from the sender, click it, then click the THIS IS NOT SPAM button. The AOL© software will now look for similar mail and make sure to place them in your inbox.

C. ADD THE SENDER TO THE ADDRESS BOOK
              To bypass your Mail and Spam Controls and possible blocks from AOL's Spam Filters, add the e-mail address to your AOL© Address Book. Mail from senders in your Address Book will be delivered to you regardless of the blocks you've set.

It's not necessary to add every e-mail address to your Address Book. If your Mail and Spam Controls are set correctly, acceptable mail should get through. However, if you want to avoid potential blocks, adding Address Book contacts is a good way to go.

1. On the AOL© menu, click MAIL, then click ADDRESS BOOK.
              2. Click the ADD button.
              3. Enter the information under the CONTACT, HOME, WORK, or DETAILS tabs, then click the SAVE button.

If the person you are adding is a non-AOL member, please make sure that you enter his or her e-mail address in the OTHER E-MAIL: box, then click the radio button to select it as the PRIMARY E-MAIL address.

NOTE: If the undelivered e-mail originates from an Internet address, and Mail Controls are set to allow Internet e-mail, there are several steps you can take.

1. Please contact the sender of the e-mail to verify they have the correct e-mail address (screenname@aol.com).
              2. If the sender has the correct e-mail address, please ask them try to send the e-mail again.
              3. If there are still difficulties sending the e-mail, please have the sender contact the Postmaster of their domain (For example: AOL members would contact postmaster@aol.com). AOL may have received large amounts of junk e-mail from someone using this domain name. The Postmaster of their domain can access the AOL© Postmaster contact information at: http://postmaster.aol.com/contact/ and Please ask the sender of the e-mail to ask their system administrator or Internet Service Provider to call the AOL® Postmaster Hotline at 1-888-212-5537. The Postmaster will check for any e-mail gateway problems between the sender's Internet Service Provider (ISP) and the AOL service.

I will appreciate if you could send me a feedback about the steps I provided so I can make sure you receive all the help you need on this matter. Feel free to email me back using the REPLY button on this email window.

Your continued support is highly appreciated. :-)

Comment

Their reason (when I called them earlier) is that they said a lot of spam had been originating from this server domain...

NOT TRUE...

What has happened in the past and still happens is that SPAMMERS use any domain they like as the faked return address. I fairly often get spam to me, from me... looking at the mail headers tells you that it didn't really come from my domain IP address...

Silly for AOL to block an entire domain or IP address based on this sort of thing. God.. many SPAMMERS use @aol.com addresses for their faked return addresses.

Since earlier today when I called them and wrote the postmaster@aol.com, it seems to be working again.. are you getting your thread update notices??

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yes, they are coming through just fine now.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                    Yes, they are coming through just fine now.
                    Cool... they either took the block off, as asked, or everyone put in the address book thing..

One more reason to hate AOL tho.. .
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,
                      I feel your pain.
                      I run a small county network here in WA. My spam filter blocks 90 percent of the 40K+ messages that it "receives" per day. OF the other 10, only about 1 percent are "legitimate". The other 9 percent are either viruses or messages that are quarantined and should qualify as spam.
                      My false-positive ratio is probably 1 in 10000. Of course, that one is usually for some self-important elected that should have never been voted for, but that's the way it goes.

In your defense and on the off chance that there is another AAFO fan at the county, I'm going to whitelist AAFO. It's the least I can do.

Whoadude
                      PS. I have a bumpersticker above my monitor that says "I read your email". Scares the bejeebers out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by whoadude
                        Wayne,
                        I feel your pain.
                        I run a small county network here in WA. My spam filter blocks 90 percent of the 40K+ messages that it "receives" per day. OF the other 10, only about 1 percent are "legitimate". The other 9 percent are either viruses or messages that are quarantined and should qualify as spam.
                        My false-positive ratio is probably 1 in 10000. Of course, that one is usually for some self-important elected that should have never been voted for, but that's the way it goes.

In your defense and on the off chance that there is another AAFO fan at the county, I'm going to whitelist AAFO. It's the least I can do.

Whoadude
                        PS. I have a bumpersticker above my monitor that says "I read your email". Scares the bejeebers out of them.
                        LOL!! For me personally, the amount of SPAM that I was filtering with spamassassin at the server level almost would choke the server at times and I got SO many false positives if I set the threshold low enough to trap a significant amount of SPAM... I'd always have to check daily to see if I missed something and often, I did...

I'm using http://www.spamarrest.com/affl?4026180 now and it works really well... It's the dreaded "challenge-response" schema but the offload on my server is worth it!

If I use their SMTP, which I have been via an alternate port setting to get round the port 25 block on most ISP's now, it even whitelists anyone I send to automatically.. I know I could implement similar on my server but it's not really worth the load...

Now, that said, some of the reason that AOL blacklisted us *might* have been that fake return addresses were getting the challenge-response emails when the recipient never emailed us in the first place. This could have triggered complaints, which would have led to the blacklisting. I think I managed to get AOL to drop it tho...

SPAM is a HUGE problem and waste of bandwidth. Laws should be stiffened a LOT to handle it... If I'm not mistaken, shortly after he took office, Prez Bush2 vetoed a bill that would have made SPAMMING a lot more costly to the SPAMMERS when they were caught.

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I always get your notifications on AOL, let me know if I need to do something, there's a new AOL I still haven't figured out, and like the "new" internet explorer is a pain to those of us who just fly airplanes and don't know how to fix them, let alone build them (substitute computer programs for airplanes and you'll know what I mean).
                          Ron Henning

Comment

Originally posted by Ron101502
                            I always get your notifications on AOL, let me know if I need to do something, there's a new AOL I still haven't figured out, and like the "new" internet explorer is a pain to those of us who just fly airplanes and don't know how to fix them, let alone build them (substitute computer programs for airplanes and you'll know what I mean).
                            LOL Ron.. you're good... I think the AOL thing worked itself out or they fixed it after I called and wrote them...

Funny thing, the folks I know who have the most problems with computers, usually fly computer powered airplanes...

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                            X