Sony Camera recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Camera recommendation

I want to move up in Sony Cameras. I currently have a Cybershot 5M pixel. About 4 years old. It doesn't have good zoom or accept lenses.

I want to stay with Sony as I have about 20 large capacity Memory Sticks and would like to continue using them but I will go to something else if Sony doesn't have a good mid level digital with decent zoom or lens capability.

Anybody want to make a recommendation? Sony or otherwise...under say $600

Thanks
    Don

Re: Sony Camera recommendation

If you go to www.DPReview.com and click on "Buying Guide - Feature Search" you can narrow down what you are looking for. Doing a quick search here is what I came up with... never used any of them myself.

Sony DSC-H2
    Sony DSC-H1
    Sony DSC-H5
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

Thanks! That H5 looks like it's worth checking out.

Don

Comment

And just to give you another web site to read reviews from... try http://www.steves-digicams.com/
        I have no connection to either web site... just providing info.
        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
        My Photos
        My Ride

Comment

Sell the memory sticks on E-Bay and buy a good Canon or Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
            Sell the memory sticks on E-Bay and buy a good Canon or Nikon...
            What he said. CF cards are so cheap, and so are the entry level DSLR's by Canon and Nikon. Point and shoots can't come close to the image quality.

Comment

I would also take a look at the Canon PowerShot S3 IS ($348 at Circuit City) - primarily because of the SD card storage format. The Sony H5 is a great camera, though.

12X (36-432mm) optical zoom - image stabilized
              6MP (do you really need more?)
              Optional tele-converter, wide-converter, & closeup lenses

It also got a "Highly Recommended" rating on dpreview.

Canon review

Right now you can get a 150X (high speed) 2GB SD card at Tiger Direct for $34.99 after rebate (purchase before 11/30). This card will hold about 640 pics at 6MP. It also writes to the card very quickly.

Ultra SD Card

Good luck with your decision! Looks like the Canon takes better movies (if you care) and has better lens stabilization. They're both good - more than just point and shoots.
              Last edited by drmull; 11-21-2006, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Don

Comment

Okay, I took the majority's opinion and got a Canon EOS Rebel XTI Digital SLR. 10.1 megapixel

I love the camera so far based on the Christmas and New Years pics taken so far.

Can you all now recommend a good zoom lens for under say, $500?

Thanks
                  Don

Comment

if it helps, I have a 100-300 usm ef lens that i dont use, I upgraded to the 100-400 is and also got the 70-200 L, anyway the lens is excess
                    its about 8 months old and well cared for.

Comment

Tokina or Sigma both make awsome lenses.

My personal fave,

Tokina 28 - 70 2.8 ATX. The elements are real glass through and through on an metle chassis. The lens I have is an older lens, been dropped a couple duzzin times and still works like it came out of the box.

It your looking for a bit cheeper lenz (but still a bit pricy)

Sigma has a 70 - 200 2.8 APO. This is an older lens as well but you should be able to pick one up a good used one for cheep. It is a fixed apiture lens with glass elements on a composit chassis. It is light weight, and easy on the neck and arms for use as a primary lenz.

Do keep in mind you will need to look for these used and should be able to pick them both up for the 500.00 or less budgit yo have set. They are an older series of lenses but have been rock solid performers for me.

I'm sure there is new or newer stuff out there you can pick up for the 500.00 or less price tag, but the quality of the lens will be on the low end as well. Personaly I look for a lens with all glass elements first. Alot of manufactures have gone to plastic, or a combination of glass, and plastic coatings.

Congrats on the new Body, I know you will enjoy it!

wolfee

Comment

Originally posted by hattend
                        Okay, I took the majority's opinion and got a Canon EOS Rebel XTI Digital SLR. 10.1 megapixel

I love the camera so far based on the Christmas and New Years pics taken so far.

Can you all now recommend a good zoom lens for under say, $500?

Thanks
                        Don
                        Don, congratulations on the purchase! You might want to look for a Sigma 50-500 on Ebay. They retail for about a grand new but you might find a used one there close to your range. They certainly are not the best lens in the world but probably have the most bang for the buck of any telephoto lens... 500mm is a lot of zoom and 50mm is pretty small...

A lot of folks criticized the range of the lens when they first released... the lens proved to be a very good one though.

Good luck!

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Best buy in "L" glass is the 70-200 f/4L (without IS). Just over $500 new. Nobody makes anything close to this, price, and image quality wise.

Comment

I have the same body and use the 70 - 300 IS by canon. It is a great combo. Let's you drop down a couple of stops for that ever elusive " PROP BLUR " Rad

Comment

Working...
                            X