• Show
Clear All

• MOSQUITO / F82 ....Performance

I do understand the differences.....

* wood vs. metal
    * year manufactured was sorrta in different era

But

these were recon a/c and allison and rr power... very hi-tech at that time

Were they similiar in there performance envelopes? OR was there mission call out not in the same ball park?

JUST FOUND FROM MY POST THAT SOME ONE REPLIED THAT THE MOSQUITO WAS MERLIN POWERED AND NOT PERGRIN POWERED

BM

Re: MOSQUITO / F82 ....Performance

Yes and some of the really cool PR models of the Mosquito were powered by two stage supercharged Merlins (PR = Photo Recon/high altitude). In a really good AR-234 story I have read there is a description from a mosquito pilot who was climbing out over the channel on his way to Germany to take some pictures and finds he is not alone. An AR-234 had pulled alongside and the two unarmed pilots flew along for a moment before the jet left him. But up until that time he had never been aproached from behind before. The two stage Mossies were fairly fast especially with Nitrous Oxide for that burst for the cloud bank experience!
    John Slack

Comment

Squeez in 1945? Really!

Just call me Homer

BM

Comment

The Germans and the brits played with squeez in their warplanes quite a bit. The U.S. did testing with it but nothing I know of that was installed on a production airplane.

We were working on painting the Rare Bear one
        afternoon at Van Nuys when a man who saw the plane from the road stopped in to visit, he was a retired Lockheed guy that was interested in what he saw. He was quite knowledgable on radial engine installations and visited with us for a while. He dropped by another time a couple of weeks later and once again was very good to talk with, about this time what with the accent and all I asked him "WHO" he had actually worked for during World War II, He was very guarded about his answer, but it had been Kurt Tank at Focke Wulf, he was Kurt's assistant and right hand man. That is why Lockheed grabbed onto him when they could. We had a rather interesting conversation about water injection which the Germans termed MW50, and he brought in his hand written notes from the 1940's relating to powerplant experiments, while looking over his shoulder at words I could not read, I recognized on a different page the code GM1 which I knew to be the German term for Nitrous Oxide boosting. I asked him about it and he looked over his shoulder with a sly smile, "oh, you know what this is?" Now the rest is a story I won't share. Unfortunately one of the guys soon after started riding him about being a Nazi, (yes his party card number was under 50,000 and he still had it)and all that information ran and hid from us. To me it was great to see that kind of interest and passion at work. I wish could have had more.
        John Slack

Comment

Bell, thats a great story....I used to work at sky Trails @ Van Nuys, one morning I was out putting some go juice in a 172 out on the Sky Trails ramp and next to me working on a cherokee was an older gentalmen, well about the time I started rapping up the hose, I could hear the sound of a merlin coming down the runway....
          Well its bill reinschild in his mustang, so Im like cool, Im gonna watch this, well bill sucks the gear up and keeps it low until the end of the runway, there by the golf course, and then hauls back and try's to go to the moon..LOL, anway this old guy next to me whipps around when he hears the noise and has this look of terror/shock, I cant describe it, but it was spooky, later that day we are all sitting around and the old guy climbs into his benz and drives off, his Licence plate reads....BF109G, so we all start talking about him, and come to find out That this older guy, flew 109's during the war, and was bounced buy a couple of mustings one day while trying to get off the ground, and was shoot down and burned pretty badly, and I put 2 and 2 together and figured he was having some flash back going on....Anyway thats my Van Nuys Story...Craig

Comment

Well since this thread is going down memory lane......

My first stint at UAL SFO @ the jet shop circa 66 to 70, worked with a guy Bill Mezosee (sp?) .... maybe 65 and his german was so thick you could have spread it on some black pumpernikle (sp?).... well he was a V1 or V2 mechanic of some sorts and thought all that stuff was a big deal....

My lead man was a round motor puke (on a carrier i suppose) in korea.... bear cats and F4s. Lots of good stories..... he found out i was a punk fly boy, so he took me to the Levin scrap company recycle bins (haul scrap away) and showed me mountains of 3350 pistons.... (we were still doing MROs on DC7s and Connies( for other carriers i guess.(

Started taking them home in my lunch bucket strapped on the back of my TR6 triumph twin banana seat .... sold them as hanging flower pots and ash trays. made good $$$.
            Whats one go for today... $ as a curio whirleygig.

Need some N1 shafts from jt8s to make the raised deck supports for your patio .... sure , how many can you throw over the back fence!!

Chime in you old farts..... this is cool bench flying.... i got lots more fish stories.

BM (of)

Comment

Come on guys........... Keep this thread going!!!

I for one would sit here for hours reading this kind of stuff.

Please, can I have some more, please???

jscott1

Comment

JS

Hey , you gotta have some experiences , chime in .... lead by example.... start a new theread or what ever.

Hey... my best price for selling a 3350 jug / ash tray was $8.00..... back in the day. (yard sales in the 70s)

of

Comment

Working...
                X