Help with 1970s Mustangs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 1970s Mustangs!

I was checking out my copy of the John Tegler "Gentlemen you have a race" book last night and was struck by how cool the 1970s-era Mustangs were, especially the first highly modified ones who showed up with the clipped wings, race canopies, etc. I like the story of how the crowd formed around Chuck Hall when he arrived at Stead with the radical "Miss RJ" which looked fairly stock in the pictures from the year before!

Now I know the history of this plane (Miss RJ, then Roto-Finish Special, Red Baron) and I think that of Miss Candace (Jeannie, Leeward Air Ranch Special), but what happend to Ken Burnstine's Miss Foxy Lady and the Bob Love Oogahonk Special? Very cool looking planes from around 1974/1975 that were gone by the time of my first Reno in 1979.

One other point about the 1970s races. How cool must it have been to see the P-39s and P-63s racing around the Pylons? I wish I would have seen that, a few years before my time.

Re: Help with 1970s Mustangs!

KB,

I think you need to get hold of the last 2 issues of Warbird Digest!

Originally posted by KB Adkins
    One other point about the 1970s races. How cool must it have been to see the P-39s and P-63s racing around the Pylons? I wish I would have seen that, a few years before my time.
    Indeed, that must have been VERY cool! The Cobras have always been some of my favourites.

Comment

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

RG
      Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
      RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the info! Ok, I guess I did see Miss Foxy Lady in action (Sumthin' Else in 1979), although at the time I didn't realize it

Great to see that both of these planes are still flying, although I'd love to see them back in race trim. With the flood of Sea Furies in recent years it would be refreshing to see a few more 400 mph+ Mustangs in the field! Isn't diversity the "in" thing these days?

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75

RG
          that canopy looks familiar

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER
            that canopy looks familiar
            Is it this one, by any chance?

Comment

.....maybe it's this one......

Comment

Working...