X1 quistion for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X1 quistion for you

Ok I rember reading this someplace and now Nobody knows what the heck I am talking about please help,on the X1 that chuck yeager flew threw the soundbarrer I read that the guys at bell made the horizontal stabilizer ajustable with a lead screw like a sizer jack real simple to use.yeager found the instability problem asked the rite guy and asked bell thay said just turn the screw and and nacca said WHAT SCREW ??I think it was 1 degree off created turbulence in a bad way over the stabilizer when the shockwave hit it or something like that,the first X1 didn't have it as I recall cost a brave man his life ANY BELLS ring yet I know I read it somewere please help

Re: X1 quistion for you

double post
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by h34race
      Ok I rember reading this someplace and now Nobody knows what the heck I am talking about please help,on the X1 that chuck yeager flew threw the soundbarrer I read that the guys at bell made the horizontal stabilizer ajustable with a lead screw like a sizer jack real simple to use.yeager found the instability problem asked the rite guy and asked bell thay said just turn the screw and and nacca said WHAT SCREW ??I think it was 1 degree off created turbulence in a bad way over the stabilizer when the shockwave hit it or something like that,the first X1 didn't have it as I recall cost a brave man his life ANY BELLS ring yet I know I read it somewere please help
      If I recall right they were able to steer the plane at buffeting region near mach .84 not with elevator but adjusting the trim that turned the whole stabilizer few degrees into each direction...am I of the course now ?

It is all in the Yaeger's book. I think you got it right.
      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

The stability issue was solved by switching to a full flying tail insted of the fixed horizontal w/ an elevator.

Comment

Working...
        X