Attached Files

Re: its time for Double Trouble

Kewl Shawn!!

I like these old shots.... more please!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

1977. The last year with the clipped wings and shark mouth motif.

Comment

One of the really great tragedies that has befell the air racing group over the years concerns older pictures from the early seventies. Once upon a time there was a great horn blower named Buddy Childers, in addition to being a great musician Buddy was an artist. He took some great pictures documenting Reno, and Mojave. Buddy took some high quality images of not just Unlimiteds and T-6s but also of the Formulas and Biplanes as well. I got to go with him when he shot the air to air shots of Sid White's Bipe. This shot of Double Trouble reminds of the series of pictures he took of Gary Levitz and Lefty Gardner's P-38s when they were being flown by Tony Levier and "Fish" Salmon at Mojave in 1974. Great shots,

There is a funny story about that flight, for one of the pictures Tony and "Fish" feathered the right engines and flew in formation. after the pictures were taken Tony started his engine up and after about a minute "Fish" got on the radio and told Tony he couldn't remember the unfeather/restart procedure. To which Tony replied "If you can't remember how to unfeather the propeller, then shouldn't have feathered the propeller!" with a little more thought "Fish" was able to unfeather it and move on with the rest of the flight.

Buddy also was able to get some air to air shots of the Candyman, Foxy Lady, and Lyle in the Bearcat going around the course taken from above and outside the course.

He had a particularly clear shot of Bud Fountain from the inside of the course that had been taken from the top of something that changed the perspective of the airplane from what we normally see while racing. It turned out that was the last picture Buddy took of Bud Fountain as he crashed right after the race.

The tragedy I am refering to is that when Buddy went back on the road again with the band. the person he left the pictures stored with allowed the pictures and the negatives to disapear. I know that now most of the pictures that you guys are taking are being stored better for posterity. That is really a great thing.

Which brings me to this heartfelt and very sincere Thank you, Thank you to the guys that endure the weather, the rigid politics, and all the unknown hazards that the guys that twist wrenches can relate to. When we are/were in the trenches doing what it took very few had cameras. We were living in the moment of what we were doing, and not thinking about preserving the history. Thanks for the images that bring out a smile, help out a memory, In a very famous case that Neal Nurmi was involved with point out a potential failure that needed investigating.
        Thanks guys, good job
        John Slack

Comment

I herd of Buddy Childers there was apic of him in the back ground some form a news letter cant remember witch one i think the prpa newsletter.

but the pic of double trouble is from my dad Charlene Aro

Shawn all the best i try to get more scan soon

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
            This shot of Double Trouble reminds of the series of pictures he took of Gary Levitz and Lefty Gardner's P-38s when they were being flown by Tony Levier and "Fish" Salmon at Mojave in 1974. Great shots,

I believe that one of Buddy's shots of that flight is the color 'centerfold' of the 1976 Mojave program.

In fact, a lot of the Mojave programs were filled with Buddy's shots.

I *think* that Buddy was the one who took the photo at Mojave of Howie Keefe coming right at the camera about 10 feet off the ground, and photographer Bill Johnson starting to dive out of the way. Since Bill lives just over the hill from me, I still give him a hard time about that.

Comment

Shawn,

I am sorry if I gave the impression that some one else took that picture, The image of the airplane brought back a flood of memories and I just downloaded accordingly.
              John Slack

Comment

John no problem i was trying to put the named on it last night and it didnt get on there no problem all the best Shawn

Comment

Nice Shawn, Thanks!
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                    I believe that one of Buddy's shots of that flight is the color 'centerfold' of the 1976 Mojave program.

In fact, a lot of the Mojave programs were filled with Buddy's shots.

I *think* that Buddy was the one who took the photo at Mojave of Howie Keefe coming right at the camera about 10 feet off the ground, and photographer Bill Johnson starting to dive out of the way. Since Bill lives just over the hill from me, I still give him a hard time about that.
                    Was the picture in a program?

Jarrod

Comment

Kinda like the one on "Wowie Howie's" book.

Comment

Yup. That IS the picture I'm talking about....except in the full one, you can see that Bill is leaning over at a pretty good angle as he is ducking out of the way...snapping shots on the way down.

Buddy certainly had an eye for 'framing' a shot!

Comment

Well Mr. Speeddemon, do you recommend the book?

Jarrod

Comment

yes shawn

Comment

Working...
                            X