Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replica P51 atop resturant in Sacramento??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replica P51 atop resturant in Sacramento??

Just curious what happened to the replica P51 atop the resturant along side I80 in Sacramento. I think it was next to a Holiday Inn. Does anyone know who built it? Thanks
    Brian

Re: Replica P51 atop resturant in Sacramento??

it is sitting in the parking lot under a tarp. not sure why they took it down.

Comment

I pass that landmark every year on my annual Reno race trip. It hasn't been mounted on the roof of the restaurant for the last 2 Septembers.

Comment

It was taken down just after a BIG wind storm here in Sacto a couple of years ago. I've heard it was damaged and they feared it would take flight on it's own... I didn't know it was still in the parking lot.

By the way, I didn't do any actual research here. However, this made sense to me when I heard it.... So I'm passing on the conjecture/rumor as I heard it...

Russ

Comment

Thanks to those who posted updates on this. I pass by that site every day on my way to work, and I always wondered what happened to that Mustang.
          The wind storm story makes sense...it can blow pretty good up here in the winter months. If the wind came out of the south and that plane got loose, there's ten lanes of interstate highway just to the north that MIGHT cause a problem..

Hope they can figure out a way to anchor the thing down securely. It sure made the commute more fun.
          Mark Johnson
          Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

it is in that parking lot as close to the freeway as it can be. YOu can spot it going east if you know where to look... might just be the fuselage but the prop is still on.

Comment

Any one have pictures of it.

Comment

That was a horrific replica of a p-51. I seem to recall they even had the wing planform the wrong way, as the leading edge knee was on the rear side of the wing. Probably better they don't put it back up.

Comment

Here's a quote from Director of Sales (09/06) at the Holiday Inn Re: Aces Cafe aircraft:

"It was removed because the wing was unstable due to wind and so on.
                  We have it here at the hotel.
                  It might be replaced with a new plane in the future. There are no set plans at this time."

KH

Comment

It was painted as Yeager's "Galmorous Glen III". The name of the restaurant is "Aces", it's really a pretty good place to eat. I don't remember the wing being mounted backwards or anything that glaringly bad though. I pass by there daily also. I'll check to see if it's still there.

Race 29
                    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Ok, so I stopped by there on my way home from work. The replica is still underneith the tarp and it is right next to the freeway, just like Pete said. The fuse seems to be to scale, but the wings are quite a bit shorter than scale, and look like they were sawed off. The trailing edge at the wing root is a little bit extended, but that's probably becase of the inner box steel structure, and not mounted backwards. Overall she looks to be in pretty good shape! According to the security guy that I talked to, they took her down because a nasty wind storm broke one of the wings. They plan on mounting it in the middle of the parking lot, lower than up on top of the roof where it was exposed to the wind. If I can't get out there during the week to take pictures, then I'll try to get out there this weekend.

Race 29
                      Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Comment

Re: Replica P51 atop restaurant in Sacramento??

I was driving by the Charles M. Schulz, Sonoma County Airport, Santa Rosa the other day and spotted in a parking lot next door what looked like a P-51D fuselage sitting on top of a pile of junk. I yelled out,"No way!"
                          Today I went to the parking lot and took some pictures. This was the replica that sat on top of that Holiday Inn in Sacramento, CA for years.
                          The replica was recently acquired by the owner of the property where the businesses are. He wants to donate it to the Pacific Coast Air Museum next door. Then most likely have the museum members fix it up, and then have it installed on the roof of one of the businesses on the corner. The plane needs a lot of work; the foam filled wings are dented, leading edges smashed, prop blades missing. Looks like a fun project for somebody.
                          Jim "Myles" Long
                          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Are any parts of it from an airplane or Mustang?

Is the canopy aircraft grade?

Looks like a pile of junk to most people. But to an airplane person, it's a gold mine/gotta have it piece.
                            Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 11-14-2008, 04:49 PM.

Comment

There is nothing on this that is a Mustang. I climbed up on the edge of the center section (without breaking my neck) and looked inside the cockpit. It looks like a big model inside. The whole thing reminds me of an ARF RC airplane that has been neglected. But somehow, because of the P-51 lines it looks kind of real. I'll keep up on this project.

J. Long

Comment

Working...
                              X