• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno - Day Two

The rest are here,

Re: Reno - Day Two

Tim,

Love the PM shot... Perfect timing on the prop spacing!

I try but that set usually eludes me!

Good stuff!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The prop blades for PM sure look small in the first pic. I know better but wow they look short!

Great shooting there mate! I think I have a new desk top pic.

Comment

THE TELEPHOTO DEAL....

Pls. splain me why the long shots make pictures change the subject relationships or what ever u call it. Cant even explain what i need to explain.....

pls. in laymans terms

Total dud on the photo thing !!

BM

Comment

For anyone interested, there are 494 Reno 06 images posted here' http://www.osgfx.com/, click on Event Photography and near the bottom is the button for Reno Air Races 06. I don't have the shutter speed thing down at all so the props are freeze framed in almost all my stuff, sorry. I'll get it down between now and next time.
          Scott Adie
          www.osgfx.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
            THE TELEPHOTO DEAL....

Pls. splain me why the long shots make pictures change the subject relationships or what ever u call it. Cant even explain what i need to explain.....

pls. in laymans terms

Total dud on the photo thing !!

BM
            I'll have what he's having...

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hi Bill -- I can at least try...

It's all basically a function of the camera's distance from the subject. A telephoto lens is basically taking a small portion of a scene and "blowing it up". So assume the Bear is 35 feet long. If the photographer stands 35 feet away and shoots (from behind) with a wide angle lens the tail will be 35 feet away and the prop 70 feet or twice as far. If, however the photographer is 200 feet away and shooting with a telephoto, the tail is 200 feet away, and the prop 235 feet away, or (from the camera's pespective) just 17.5% further. Thus the apparent "compression" of the scene's perspective. If you go outside and walk back and forth while looking at your car you will actually be able to see how the perspective changes with distance, if you can ignore the surroundings and just concentrate on how the car looks from various distances.

Some time try taking a photo of someone's face with a wide angle lens from a foot away, and then walk back to 6 or 8 feet away and zoom in to get the same amount of face in the shot. Then compare the relationship between the nose and the ears in each shot and you'll see a similar phenomenon. A photo from a foot away looks very peculiar, with a huge nose and ears appearing off in the distance. So it's really the distance from the subject and not really the lens that changes the apparent perspective in the final photograph. The long lens just lets you fill a frame with the same amount of subject from farther away, so it looks different.

I hope this makes at least a little sense. It's late and I've had a couple of glasses of red wine, so who knows. Maybe Victor could explain a bit more understandably?

I guess I'll see tomorrow. Hope I haven't emarrassed myself, LOL...

Neal

Comment

And, by the way: Tim -- really nice photography! Great and tasteful use of long lenses, and lovely light and use of shallow depth of field in the IF1 shot, which may almost be my favourite of the bunch (at least it's the hardest technically to do well).

My only beef as a another photographer looking at these images (and let me emphasize that this is a matter of my taste and not your intention in making YOUR photograph) is that I am bothered by cutting off the gear of Precious Metal in the second shot, and including the clutter of the sign in the lower left. I find my eye dragged all over the place and I'm distracted. It all feels unbalanced to me. The Rare Bear shot, on the other hand, is near perfection -- beautifully seen and composed! A shot I wish I had taken!

I'm glad for all our sakes that you learned that you've learned that you don't have to get the whole airplane in to make a good photograph. Much to the contrary, as this stuff shows. Congratulations on some really good photography...

Neal

Comment

Thanks, Neal, I have always admired yours, and your wifes work.

As for the PM shot, it is at 330mm, there is a lot of junk in the background, I could have cloned out some, but did not take the time. I have a couple other shots in that sequence, but I like the angle, and the way the props look in this one.

The IF1 shot is one of my favorites too. I love the light in the late afternoon.

Comment

Excellent photographs! I especially like the second Precious Metal shot.

Jarrod

Comment

Hey Tim,

Great looking stuff. The Rare Bear photo is superb. Out of 30 or more shots of PM this year I didn't get a single one with the props evenly spaced.

I've been on the road a lot since Reno and only just finished cutting and mounting all my little bits of film. I'll have a 3D shot of Mike Brown spraying champaign at the GoP next year.
                      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Working...
                      X